Calling All Sweet-Smelling Ladies! What is Your Signature Fragrance?

TerriSea

My daughters - who live a long way away from me - always tell me they miss me more when they smell someone wearing my scent!!

Well that's the whole.....pardon the pun.....essence.......of wearing scent

We react to scents based on our lives and memories.

I don't like Joy, but it's one of my Mother's favorite perfumes, and whenever I'm near someone wearing it, it definitely reminds me of her.

One of things I like to do is select a perfume for every trip I make. During the trip I wear it daily and it gets imprinted in my emotional scent memory. Then when I wear it at home afterwards I'm reminded of a specific trip I went on.

My current fragrance: Daisy by Mark Jacobs. Like it but don't love it.

*totally know what you mean regarding feeling that way about a fragrance.

Most fragrances change on me within 30 minutes, and not for the better.

* I AM EXACTLY the same way....the longer they are on the more I smell my skin or undertones I don't like. EVEN when I liked the same perfume on someone else. Ugh..

I like Dune, Magie Noire and Knowing. Yeah, I know -- I'm "stuck in the 80s

****My older sister had EVERY perfume under the sun and I started wearing her perfume as a teen and DUNE is still ONE OF MY FAVES! Another faves from the 80's: POISON rememeber that???

Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist........

*** I can't get over how popular this is-I work in a salon and one of my clients is a dept store manager and gave me a big bottle of this and wish I had known so many of you all liked it I would haven't given it to you. It did NOTHING for me I think I chucked it :(

I've worn Shalimar for more years than I care to count.

*** I never wore shalimar BUT how about Samsara by Guerlain? Same maker I think. I LOVED THAT...going back to the 80s lol

I'm also a "like but don't love" on Daisy.

***Me too, thought about buying it and DIDN'T I need to love it to buy

My current favourite is Jo Malone's Lime, Basil and Mandarin,

**** JO MALONE IS MY CURRENT PERFUME KICK RIGHT NOW. I drive into the city just to get it. Of course you can order it online or possibly if you're in London or NY. THEY ARE CLEAN AND BEAUTIFUL. I CAN'T STOP WEARING THE ORANGE BLOSSOM. I had a client who had it on and I thought I died and went to heaven w/ that smell. I'm on my 3rd bottle. YOU CAN COCKTAIL all of her perfumes. Pomegranate Noir is very popular a little spicy VERY SEXY. They are fabulous scents!

Lately, I have been wearing Dior Addict Shine. It is light and delicate which I like for work and daily wear.

**** DIOR KISS IS POSSIBLY THE SHINIEST AND MOST GORGEOUS LIPGLOSS ON EARTH. NOT TO BE CONFUSED W/ THEIR OTHER LIPGLOSSES. THE DIOR KISS IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST TO OWN! :)

Beautiful by Estee Lauder has been my signature scent for about thirty years

*****ALWAYS A CLASSIC. Did you know that (or so I've heard) Department stores sell THE MOST beautiful fragrance in the month of June because of brides. That's what I've heard anyway. I LOVE IT.

------As you can tell, I have dozens of bottles of perfume. I JUST LOVE IT!

A GREAT HOLIDAY GIFT (hubby bought it for me) Is the Sephora sampler. It comes w/ a refillable spray tube and 10 samples of different perfumes. It's 50$ AND WHEN YOU CHOOSE THE ONE YOU LIKE YOU RETURN IT FOR A FULL SIZE BOTTLE OF ONE OF THE SAMPLES YOU LIKED!

---SOME OTHERS I OWN THAT ARE FAVES!

Chance by Chanel is possibly the MOST perfect perfume on the face of the Earth in my opinion.

Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline-Came in the Sephora sample pack and I got the bigger bottle w/ my gift. Very nice/ many compliments SEXY!

Burberry Brit I wore it forever, I'm over it....but definitely a good smell

Gucci Rush THIS IS THE MOST DIVERSE SMELLING PERFUME EVER. I can't even describe it....sort of like fruit striped gum...citrus, floral, sharp and LIKE NOTHING ELSE. If someone is wearing Gucci rush YOU DO NOT mistake it for something else.

Truth by CK- an older CK perfume (90s possibly) I just LOVE how this smells!

Very Irresistable by Givenchy-SEXY smelling.....lol

Stella McCartney perfume (a gift ugh) old lady rose fragrance. YIKES!

I have tons more, I could go on and on.

My parents had a store when I was younger and I have a friend/distributor that still has some hard to find or discontinuted fragrances (safari by Ralph Lauren) I can buy them wholesale (usually) IF anyone needs help finding a fragrance, EMAIL ME :)

I am a huge fan of Armani (Code and Sensi) but would have to say Burberry Brit is my 'signature' smell

I planned to purchase one of the above when we cruised in 04/2008 (10 yr anniversary) but couldnt decide, and kept trying on Kenzo Amour

Well, never did get anything onboard (silly) but recently purchased the Kenzo- and everytime I have a spray, it floods me with memories of the cruise.

A good friend suggested using a certain perfume on my honeymoon and then tuck it away. It worked, and everytime I smell Pear Glace (Victoria Secret) I am reminded of Las Vegas

Now I am trying to find something for our upcoming cruise to Mexico- I look forward to trying something new, or not... :D

Princess Carolyn - Don't you just love being a Princess? I've never wanted to be a Queen, as Queens have to make decisions, delegate, etc. Princesses simply get to play!!! Loved your descriptions of the various fragrances. I can love the smell of a perfume on someone, yet when I put it on myself, GROSS!

Jan110 - Wonderful idea to attach one fragrance to a vacation. Everytime I go to the mountains in Colorado, I am reminded of a particular scent, ironically from Ireland. Funny how I've never really "thought" about your concept before!

Fabulously fragranced...

Princess Cindy

Jan110 - Wonderful idea to attach one fragrance to a vacation. Everytime I go to the mountains in Colorado, I am reminded of a particular scent, ironically from Ireland. Funny how I've never really "thought" about your concept before!

Fabulously fragranced...

Princess Cindy

Princess Cindy and TexasWineDiva,

I find the power of this amazing.

I go to Paris often, usually alone, but about 5 years ago I took my Mother there as her Mother's Day Gift, and we each bought a bottle of Hermes Rouge. I wore it daily during the course of that trip. It's not my fave fragrance, but now everytime I wear it, or my Mom wears it, I'm brought right back to that particular trip.

I have the same kind of scent memories for trips to Australia, Asia, etc.

I take one perfume with me on every trip and wear it daily. Years later, that trip is instantly recalled when I wear it at home.

It's a fun thing to do. It's like a paperless scrapbook. :)

By the Way.....

Those of you who are fragrance lovers should really join Sniffapalooza.com

It's a free website. They have fragrance reviews and they hold fragrance events around the world. Most of them are in NYC (and people fly in for a fragrance weekend) but also in London, Germany, Italy, etc.

Also, if you enjoy reading fragrance reviews, some of my favorite blogs are:

Katy Puckrik Smells (she's fun and informative)

1000 Fragrances blog (he's very interesting/smart)

Princess Carolyn - Don't you just love being a Princess? I've never wanted to be a Queen, as Queens have to make decisions, delegate, etc. Princesses simply get to play!!! Loved your descriptions of the various fragrances. I can love the smell of a perfume on someone, yet when I put it on myself, GROSS!

Fabulously fragranced...

Princess Cindy

:) Hi Princess Cindy....I see you're sailing on the Pearl, I have a credit w/ NCL and I was considering the Pearl for my next cruise. Let me know how it goes....Buy lots of stuff while you are vacation and treat yourself LAVISHLY ;)

my very favorite scent is Aromatics Elixir by Clinique. It is definitely my signature....nothing else lasts. Lots of people have stopped to ask what I am wearing so I guess it is my signature scent.

I too wear only Aromatic Elixir, but the body smoother, cream in a tube applied after my shower. I got it as a sample in a promotion from Clinique about 15 years ago. Men have stopped me in the super market, to ask me what I am wearing because it smells so good, and they want to get some for their wives. Women too have told me how good I smell! It smells fresh, and lasts the whole day. I don't wear any of the expensive stuff that I have bottles of on my bureau. Sure saves alot of money:D

I've worn so many different scents through the years (Wind Song, Oscar de la Renta, Giorgio Beverly Hills), but I've been wearing the different forms of Amarige by Givenchy for the past 10 years or so. I seem to go through a bottle a year, so always get a new bottle of something in the spring when we cruise. This past year it's been Ange ou Demon by Givenchy.

I'm out of work right now, so I don't think I'll need a new bottle this year :-{.

BTW, The Vermont Country Store sells Arpege and Lanvin (which my mother wore, along with Emeraude) in its catalog and on-line.

This is a sweet fragrance story that just happened to me last week . . .

We square dance on Thursday nights (if you have a tendency to knock it, don't until you've tried it. It's fun and really good exercise - physically and mentally.)

Last Thursday, I was talking to 2 women before dancing started, when I got a whiff that immediately reminded me of my mom, who passed away almost 3 years ago. I said, "I smell my mom; who's wearing Coty Emeraude?" One of the ladies said she was wearing something by Estee Lauder and asked if that was it. I sniffed her - no that wasn't it. The other lady didn't say anything at first so I thought it was just my imagination. Finally she said it was her. She allowed me to give her a big hug and have a good boo-hoo with her.

I wore my mom's fragrance on my clothes all night, and it was still in my nose when I fell asleep that night. It was so nice.

Amazing what a fragrance or scent can evoke in the way of emotions, memories, etc.

I just told a somewhat bittersweet story about my mom's fragrance, and now I remember a funny one:

A couple years ago, my husband went out to dinner one night before a concert. The host, when he seated us, just said to me, "Moonlight Path?" I told him he was right, and looked at my husband who, after 30 years, would be unable to tell what fragrance I wear. I didn't say a single word, but the look my husband gave the waiter needed no words.

It was pretty funny . . .

I have GOT to try the Donna Karan Cashmere Mist. I have been checking out other reviews online and now reading an article. I had to stop in the middle of the article just to tell you all that I MUST try this. LOL

Here is the article I was reading. It will make you want to go out and buy it TODAY! http://www.ezinearticles.com/?Review-of-Donna-Karan-Cashmere-Mist-Perfume&id=2008578

What with people's allergies, my goal these days is to smell inoffensive, and not necessarily good. I make do with whatever body lotion I think smells good. However, I'm nursing my cherished bottle of Yardley Orange Blossom frangrance and only use it on special occasions. Goodness knows when I'll find it again. One favorite, but no longer made is Victoria's Secret Peach Hyacinth. But my all time favorite is Yardley Oh! de London from the Swinging Sixties. Yep, I'm a geezer.

This is a sweet fragrance story that just happened to me last week . . .

We square dance on Thursday nights (if you have a tendency to knock it, don't until you've tried it. It's fun and really good exercise - physically and mentally.)

Last Thursday, I was talking to 2 women before dancing started, when I got a whiff that immediately reminded me of my mom, who passed away almost 3 years ago. I said, "I smell my mom; who's wearing Coty Emeraude?" One of the ladies said she was wearing something by Estee Lauder and asked if that was it. I sniffed her - no that wasn't it. The other lady didn't say anything at first so I thought it was just my imagination. Finally she said it was her. She allowed me to give her a big hug and have a good boo-hoo with her.

I wore my mom's fragrance on my clothes all night, and it was still in my nose when I fell asleep that night. It was so nice.

Amazing what a fragrance or scent can evoke in the way of emotions, memories, etc.

Vermont Country Store carries Emeraude if you are interested in purchasing the scent.

What with people's allergies, my goal these days is to smell inoffensive, and not necessarily good. I make do with whatever body lotion I think smells good. However, I'm nursing my cherished bottle of Yardley Orange Blossom frangrance and only use it on special occasions. Goodness knows when I'll find it again. One favorite, but no longer made is Victoria's Secret Peach Hyacinth. But my all time favorite is Yardley Oh! de London from the Swinging Sixties. Yep, I'm a geezer.

Interesting on the allergies. I had a guy in my office the other day and the topic turned to his allergies. He stated he's allergic to perfumes. I asked him why the hell he was always in my office as I wear perfume everyday. His response was "But you wear Chanel and Shalimar, I only have reactions to the cheap crap" :)

Yves St. Laurent's Opium -- I've worn it since college and always get compliments on it. Still haven't tired of it, either. I did try Thierry Mugler's Angel for a change and liked it but it's a little too popular for me. I prefer not to have people compliment the perfume ("Oh, I love Angel, too!") but me in the perfume ("Oh, you smell lovely!").

Interesting, these are my two favorites as well. Both seem to last a long time on me.

Archived