Norwegian Pearl

jtdlmc

We are first time cruisers - DH, myself, DD19 and DS9. We are considering a 7-day Eastern cruise on the Pearl. I love the Freestyle dining on NCL but not quite sure what free dining options there are. I'm assuming there would be a buffet and a dining room that are included. Is there a midnight buffet and chocolate buffet? What about poolside or quick service places - grill, pizza, etc and are those types of places open all day/evening?

What is the configuration of NCL 4 person balcony room - sofa bed and fold down bunk? On the deck plans it just says "third person option and third, fourth and/or fifth person option" .

Has anyone been on both the Pearl (or one of the other Jewel class ships) and Carnival Freedom? I'd love to hear your comparison of the two as we are also considering Carnival Freedom.

Was on the Freedom for the July 4 Panama Canal cruise and came off the Pearl on Oct. 17. Hand's down, the Pearl was much better. On the Freedom, we hated the crowds especially in the buffet and pool area. That said, we still had a great cruise on the Freedom.

Here is a recap of the food service alternatives on the Pearl ... surcharges are subject to change without notice.

Norwegian Pearl Dining Info

Summer Palace (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Dress Code: No shorts or jeans after 6:00 p.m. in the dining rooms.

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Hours

Breakfast: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.

Lunch: 12:00 noon – 2:30 p.m.

Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Indigo (Main Dining Room)

Dress Code: No shorts after 6:00 p.m. in the dining rooms.

Hours

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person - Children 12 and under half price

Reservations Required: Suggested

Hours

Cagney's Steakhouse

Cuisine: Steakhouse

Surcharge: Yes, $20 per person - Children 12 and under half price

Hours

La Cucina Italian

Cuisine: Italian

Surcharge: Yes, $10 per person - Children 12 and under half price

Hours

Lotus Garden

Cuisine: Asian

Hours

Teppanyaki

Cuisine: Japanese

Surcharge: Yes, $25 per person - Children 12 and under half price

Reservations Required: Yes - very limited seating and each table served in "seatings"

Hours

Located within Lotus Garden; Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Sushi Bar

Cuisine: Japanese

Hours

Located within Lotus Garden; Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Mambos Latin/Tapas Restaurant

Cuisine: Latin/Tapas

Surcharge: Yes, $10 per person - Children 12 and under half price

Hours

Garden Cafe

Dress Code: Casual

Hours

The Great Outdoors

Cuisine: Buffet

Hours

Blue Lagoon

Cuisine: Snacks

Hours

24 hours.

Room Service: 24/7 (menu in your cabin)

Dress: Casual or less

Tipping server is suggested

We are first time cruisers - DH, myself, DD19 and DS9. We are considering a 7-day Eastern cruise on the Pearl. I love the Freestyle dining on NCL but not quite sure what free dining options there are. I'm assuming there would be a buffet and a dining room that are included. Is there a midnight buffet sorry, no and chocolate buffet--Yes, one night.? What about poolside or quick service places - grill, pizza, etc and are those types of places open all day/evening? see my post with all the details.

What is the configuration of NCL 4 person balcony room - sofa bed and fold down bunk? On the deck plans it just says "third person option and third, fourth and/or fifth person option" . Sofa bed (short) and a bed that drops down from the ceiling. Both 3rd and 4th bed block access to the balcony when deployed. There are pictures here in this forum somewhere.

Has anyone been on both the Pearl (or one of the other Jewel class ships) and Carnival Freedom? I'd love to hear your comparison of the two as we are also considering Carnival Freedom.Sorry, can't help with this one.[/quote]

Have a great cruise.

What is the configuration of NCL 4 person balcony room - sofa bed and fold down bunk? On the deck plans it just says "third person option and third, fourth and/or fifth person option" . Sofa bed (short) and a bed that drops down from the ceiling. Both 3rd and 4th bed block access to the balcony when deployed. There are pictures here in this forum somewhere.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for all the info - love these boards and the quick answers you guys give!!!

I found the pictures which generated another question. The bunk sure doesn't look very wide! My DS will be 9 but he is a mover in his sleep and I'd be worried he'd roll right off that! Does anyone know if they have the guard rails to put on beds, like what you get for toddlers?

I have been on both. I actually have been on the Carnival Liberty (is that the same?) I think these two cruises are comparable. There are definitely things I liked best about each one of them but overall I would give them a tie. I think the food on both was very good. I didn't eat in the "free" restaurants on the Pearl and the food in the main dining room was fine on Carnival but both buffets and specialty restaurants were very good. The pizza on Carnival was great. The restaurants on Pearl were awesome but it did add up. That is the most I have ever spent on a cruise. I like the Carnival ship better. In fact, outside of RCCL ships which I love, it is my favorite. I didn't love the Pearl ship. That being said, I think the Pearl was the best decorated ship I have been on. I didn't love the pool deck on the Pearl (but I am used to RCCL's side by side pools so that is not fair). I liked the piano bar and karaoke bar on Carnival. They were fun places to go and hang out. I felt like there weren't enough places like that that appealed to me on NCL but the entertainment (Sharkbait and the comedian David something, were awesome). (I felt) The rooms on the Pearl were small. We were in a minisuite and it was the size of a balcony on Freedom. There were four of us in an inside on the Carnival and OMG......it couldn't have been smaller. I think according to NCL's website, though, their's were. I would believe it when I see it because I don't think it is possible.

I really like the itinerary on the Pearl (we just got off) to Tortola and Samana and St Thomas.

Any other question? These are just my opinions, Your mileage may vary.

I have been on both. I actually have been on the Carnival Liberty (is that the same?) I think these two cruises are comparable. There are definitely things I liked best about each one of them but overall I would give them a tie. I think the food on both was very good. I didn't eat in the "free" restaurants on the Pearl and the food in the main dining room was fine on Carnival but both buffets and specialty restaurants were very good. The pizza on Carnival was great. The restaurants on Pearl were awesome but it did add up. That is the most I have ever spent on a cruise. I like the Carnival ship better. In fact, outside of RCCL ships which I love, it is my favorite. I didn't love the Pearl ship. That being said, I think the Pearl was the best decorated ship I have been on. I didn't love the pool deck on the Pearl (but I am used to RCCL's side by side pools so that is not fair). I liked the piano bar and karaoke bar on Carnival. They were fun places to go and hang out. I felt like there weren't enough places like that that appealed to me on NCL but the entertainment (Sharkbait and the comedian David something, were awesome). (I felt) The rooms on the Pearl were small. We were in a minisuite and it was the size of a balcony on Freedom. There were four of us in an inside on the Carnival and OMG......it couldn't have been smaller. I think according to NCL's website, though, their's were. I would believe it when I see it because I don't think it is possible.

I really like the itinerary on the Pearl (we just got off) to Tortola and Samana and St Thomas.

Any other question? These are just my opinions, Your mileage may vary.

We are cruising your same itinerary in Dec. (on the Pearl). Can you tell me which ports are tender ports? Thanks a lot!

Check the price difference for 4 people between a balcony cabin and a mini suite on the Pearl. Depending on when you sail, when you book, etc. the price difference may be small. For us it was only around $100 more to get the mini suite. It is a little bigger room with a bigger bathroom than the regular balcony room. We found that the mini suite on the Pearl was the same size as a regular balcony room on the RCI ships we have been on. The mini suite did have a bigger bathroom though.

We ate in the Summer Palace (the main "free" dining room) every night and found the food to be good but not excellent. I think to get "excellent" you had to pay for it. Disclaimer: Food is very subjective and this is just my opinion.

Nikita, check your cruise documents for tender ports. We went on the Eastern itinerary last December and tendered at Samana, St. Thomas and Stirrup. We are going again this December and will only tender at Samana and Stirrup.

Tendering at some ports may depend on the number of ships in port that day. Samana and Stirrup are tender only I believe.

Darry

Archived