Just off Jewel of the Seas

Jewel is not as wide 100' vs 150', and no Promenade area. Jewel is newer and a great ship! Solarium pool is great on cooler or cruddy days. We did the Repo also this year as well as sailed on her for 12 days in the Baltics in 07. Great ship!,

How does the Jewel compare to the Voyager class ships? My wife and I are looking at an 11 nighter in January of 2011 on the Jewel, but we have only done 3 cruises on the Voyager class.

We have sailed on all classes of RCI ships and the Jewel and her sister Radiance class ships are by far our favorites. Voyager and Freedom class ships certainly have more bells and whistles but we prefer the size of Radiance class ships and IMHO, the design of the Voyager and Freedom class ships tends to draw passengers deep into the interior of those ships where you lose all contact with the outside and the ocean. Jewel and her sisters have great expanses of glass that allow you to see the ocean from throughout the ship. The Royal Promenades on the larger ships give many of us the feeling of being in a large shopping mall and the solaria on those ships is uncovered and does not provide the protection from the elements that the retractable glass-covered roofs of the Radiance and Vision class ships offer. If you are sailing in climates that can be less than hospitable at times, they can be a godsend if you wish to use the pools in climate-controlled comfort.

Jewel is our favorite ship with beautiful decor and a layout that is very easy to learn. Seaview Cafe on Deck 12 is a hidden gem that many do not find until later in the cruise and the outside aft section of the Windjammer allows you to dine al fresco on all but the windiest or coolest days.:)

Each class of ship has its own appeal, but for many the Radiance class ships are the best in the fleet.:)

We have sailed on all classes of RCI ships and the Jewel and her sister Radiance class ships are by far our favorites. Voyager and Freedom class ships certainly have more bells and whistles but we prefer the size of Radiance class ships and IMHO, the design of the Voyager and Freedom class ships tends to draw passengers deep into the interior of those ships where you lose all contact with the outside and the ocean. Jewel and her sisters have great expanses of glass that allow you to see the ocean from throughout the ship. The Royal Promenades on the larger ships give many of us the feeling of being in a large shopping mall and the solaria on those ships is uncovered and does not provide the protection from the elements that the retractable glass-covered roofs of the Radiance and Vision class ships offer. If you are sailing in climates that can be less than hospitable at times, they can be a godsend if you wish to use the pools in climate-controlled comfort.

Jewel is our favorite ship with beautiful decor and a layout that is very easy to learn. Seaview Cafe on Deck 12 is a hidden gem that many do not find until later in the cruise and the outside aft section of the Windjammer allows you to dine al fresco on all but the windiest or coolest days.:)

Each class of ship has its own appeal, but for many the Radiance class ships are the best in the fleet.:)

Couldn't have said it better. We spent 14 days on a transatlantic on the Jewel and loved every minute of it.

We are going in February 2010 and this has answered some questions that I had also. We have always gone on the bigger ships and have loved it, although we don't participate in all the bells and whistles on them. I think we are really going to enjoy this ship also.

We are going in February 2010 and this has answered some questions that I had also. We have always gone on the bigger ships and have loved it, although we don't participate in all the bells and whistles on them. I think we are really going to enjoy this ship also.

I am sure that you will. If you have other unanswered questions, don't hesitate to ask and I, or someone else, will be happy to answer them for you.:)

Thanks for the response, and nice avatar. The Pats will be playing the Saints the first night of my cruise.

On the Jewel repo and following three night cruise, they showed CBS, Fox, NBC(Sunday Night football) and Monday Night football. Our only complaint was that on Sunday afternoon, the CBS game shown was not Dolphins-Patriots but Ravens-Bengals. Apparently their agreement limits their choice of games that they can show. Since we were sailing from Miami, we had high hopes of seeing the New England/Miami game but had to go to Atlantis while we were in Nassau to see our game of choice.:(

Be aware that Robert Taggart, the Hotel Director on the Jewel, is a Saints fan. Hopefully he will make himself invisible after the Pats dispose of Drew Brees and company. Other than that one failing, however, Robert is a great guy. ;)

We will be aboard her in February and were wondering if you knew which lounge they are using for the platinum nightly 'gathering'?

We have to agree about this class of ships being our favorite. We loved the Brilliance and are looking forward to the Jewel.

We will be aboard her in February and were wondering if you knew which lounge they are using for the platinum nightly 'gathering'?

We have to agree about this class of ships being our favorite. We loved the Brilliance and are looking forward to the Jewel.

Meant to ask which lounge the Diamond nightly drinks were in on the Jewel.

thank you for any info you might have!

How does the Jewel compare to the Voyager class ships? My wife and I are looking at an 11 nighter in January of 2011 on the Jewel, but we have only done 3 cruises on the Voyager class.

I'm replying to your post for two reasons:

1. We enjoyed a wonderful 8-day Eastern on the Jewel in 2006! (Never been on the Voyager class). The one thing I really enjoyed was the very easy navigation of this ship. (Unlike the Caribbean Princess the year before. Had to carry my ship map the whole time!). It's a beautiful ship (with the usual RCI tiny showers), great pools, great food, great staff! Smaller ship, but I think you'll like it! We loved it.

2. DD went to U of Maryland many years ago. The first time I visited, she said, "We're driving to "West By God Virginia" to see my friends. I hadn't heard this before, and thought that we might be going to an event at UVA , since they are total rivals. She filled me in, and ever since, I have said "West By God Virginia" when referring to your great state. I get stares and quizzical looks, and I now live in the Deep South! Unheard of down here. "Whachyalltawkinbout?"

Now - a bit of a bust. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool total Yankee. Please don't hate me! I'd really appreciate it if you'd give me the background on "West By God Virginia". I've used this term for over ten years! Thanks so much!

Meant to ask which lounge the Diamond nightly drinks were in on the Jewel.

thank you for any info you might have!

Vortex....:)

I'm replying to your post for two reasons:

1. We enjoyed a wonderful 8-day Eastern on the Jewel in 2006! (Never been on the Voyager class). The one thing I really enjoyed was the very easy navigation of this ship. (Unlike the Caribbean Princess the year before. Had to carry my ship map the whole time!). It's a beautiful ship (with the usual RCI tiny showers), great pools, great food, great staff! Smaller ship, but I think you'll like it! We loved it.

2. DD went to U of Maryland many years ago. The first time I visited, she said, "We're driving to "West By God Virginia" to see my friends. I hadn't heard this before, and thought that we might be going to an event at UVA , since they are total rivals. She filled me in, and ever since, I have said "West By God Virginia" when referring to your great state. I get stares and quizzical looks, and I now live in the Deep South! Unheard of down here. "Whachyalltawkinbout?"

Now - a bit of a bust. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool total Yankee. Please don't hate me! I'd really appreciate it if you'd give me the background on "West By God Virginia". I've used this term for over ten years! Thanks so much!

Thanks for the information.

As far as West "by God" Virginia is concerned, I don't think anyone truly knows when it started.

Legend has it that it began either around the Spanish-American war or the First World War and was spoken by a soldier who was trying to explain that he was from West Virginia, not Virginia.

All West Virginians understand the frustration of explaining that they are from WEST Virginia, not Virginia. The saying came about as a way of making it clear that we are from the state of WEST Virginia.

I lived in North Carolina for a little over a decade before coming back home and they certainly have a unique dialect down there.

Archived