Why only P&O

balf

Perhaps we just like it. And of course enjoy the benefits of being Gold Tier Members meeting old friends Crew and Passengers British style entertainment, Good Food, British Sailaways. British Beer ,mainly British Passengers, annoucements only in English.Then perhaps we are just stick in the muds and loyal .:D

I have sailed with approximately 5 other lines but used P&O predominantly because they sail from Southampton. I was sailing with my grandparents and they did not wish to fly, the one time we did (with RCCL) it was a disaster!

Also for me P&O so far have been the best bar none for looking after my diet (gluten free) they always have different desserts (very important:p:D), I am able to choose from the main MDR menu and they have waiters who understand what I can and cant eat :)

However we are now sailing with Celebrity because they are sailing from Southampton (and with much cheaper fares!), Yes I like not having to pay the 15% drink "tip" and eating crispy "bacon" (and being able to drink "proper" tea) but I am not willing to pay through the nose for the privilege.

so I will wait and see if P&O will again become my "go to" line.

Over a period of 17 years we have been on 32 cruises on 10 different lines. However the majority of cruises (8) was on Marco Polo before she was sold to Transocean and we loved her. When she went we were looking for something else and drifted to P&O and are doing our 5th cruise with them in March on Artemis to the Amazon. Then a couple of years ago we discovered Holland America and like Marco Polo they fit our requirements much better. However, we have enjoyed P&O though will not sail with them again after March cruise as they are getting rid of Artemis. We like smaller ships - have tried Arcadia and OK though a bit big for us and Aurora which we didn't like. We prefer ports to days at sea and therefore sailing from Southampton to other than Baltic and Norway does not appeal.

I think most people (not everyone mind) are looking for the perfect cruiseline for them personally. When they find it if the itineraries are right they tend to then stick with them. The very things we like about Holland America are probably the things that do not sit so well with P&O though they are undoubtedly a very good product. However, we think HAL's itineraries are better once you leave Europe, we like the food, but the three main reasons are a very good version of open seating (they do traditional too), no informal nights and the biggest attraction is the mixed nationality ships (though obviously predominately English speaking). I would not like a ship like Costa with many languages. Their smaller ships such as the Rotterdam which we have now been on three times has around 1300 passengers but layout is really a mini vista like Arcadia though to us the ships feel classier in decor. Love all the fresh flowers and antique things around the ship (no not the passengers though on the smaller ships they are probably older as with Artemis and Arcadia).

I say if you find what you like stick with it, if not happy trawling.

However we are now sailing with Celebrity because they are sailing from Southampton (and with much cheaper fares!), Yes I like not having to pay the 15% drink "tip" and eating crispy "bacon" (and being able to drink "proper" tea) but I am not willing to pay through the nose for the privilege.

so I will wait and see if P&O will again become my "go to" line.

After sailing on Equinox if I were to go on Eclipse - which will be exactly the same Soltice type ship I would take a small bag of tbags with me - your favourite, problem solved, Theirs are terrible, very weak.

The ship besides that is fab.

photos here, click link and press 'slideshow'

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Equinox2nCruise27July2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOaXx9-78avLzgE#

We have sailed Carnival, Princess, Ocean VIllage and P&O all have their pros and cons

For us, the best special interest lectures were on Princess, the best waiter was on Princess (Florin), the best cabin steward was on Carnival (Joseph), the best 'supporting act was on Carnival, the best all round entertainer was on Princess (Bayne Bacon) and the best cabin was on Ocean Village.

But when you put the whole package together there is just something about P&O. There are just certain things that P&O do far better than anybody else. The automatic transfer of baggage to and from the ship, bypassing check-in at the airports, no need to spend a night in a hotel the night before, reasonable tipping policy, not adding gratuituies onto bar tabs, great 2 week itineraries, great call centre staff (even if they don't give me the answer I would like), Headliners theatre group, variety of food etc..

After sailing on Equinox if I were to go on Eclipse - which will be exactly the same Soltice type ship I would take a small bag of tbags with me - your favourite, problem solved, Theirs are terrible, very weak.

The ship besides that is fab.

photos here, click link and press 'slideshow'

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Equinox2nCruise27July2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOaXx9-78avLzgE#

Just use an extra T/Bag problem solved.

I don't necessarily think it is the teabags it is the fact that they don't use boiling water so it never infuses properly. My solution is to have as little tea as possible but when I do I go for Earl Grey which does not taste quite so bad with hot water.

I forgot to mention that the teamaking stuff in your cabin is ace on P&O and do really miss that on HAL.

Geoff

I thought your member name meant Ocean Villiage Cruiser - see you like Cunard am I way off track then?

OVC = Oldland Village Club...cruiser OVCcruiser:D Now you coming from Bath I would have thought you may have guessed that:D well maybe not, I rarely look at locations of other posters myself:D And yes, I love Cunard, usually do two or three cruises a year if I can. At present, 2010 will be the first year in 6 that I will not be cruising on QM2:( still time though:D

Just use an extra T/Bag problem solved.

Sorry no, I like strong tea , you would of needed 5 teabags and a lot of stirring to get a decent mug of tea onboard...the Americans don't understand tea ! And it was not the same tea that we drink anyway.

Libra Lass. Interestingly on HAL they carry selected teabags around in wooden boxes for you to choose. However, on Prinsendam they also had a supermarket type box of PG Tips - which is what we drink at home. That is why I say it is the non boiling water. Even having PG tips as usual tasted weak and nasty.

stopgo asked:

...who drinks mugs of tea on a Cruise.

I do! and so does my wife!

and mancunian said:

I forgot to mention that the teamaking stuff in your cabin is ace on P&O and do really miss that on HAL.

There is a possibility that Celebrity may put tea-making stuff in the cabins on Eclipse when she sails out of Southampton. This is done on IoTS, I gather, especially for her ex-Southampton cruises. I emailed Celebrity UK in April about this, and I received the folowing reply:-

"In regards to your email, as the Eclipse has not been built yet, we do not have full information yet. However, as you pointed out as well, because Royal Caribbean did do it for Independence, we are pretty sure that the answer to your email is yes! Please contact us in a few months to see if any updates have been received."

I haven't checked with them yet; I'll do it.

stopgo asked:

I do! and so does my wife!

Me too, although I would prefer this in a cup rather than a mug!

and mancunian said:

This was a definite plus over Cunard!

Jenni

Cos we like it.

By far the best choice from the UK. RCI have 2/3 itineraries.

Cruises of many lengths from 2 days to 3 months.

Range of Ships

Cos we like it.

No doubt other cruise lines are as good or even better but we like P&O and there as so many cruises we would want to do.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

By far the best choice from the UK.

Dai

How can you say that? Your record shows no experience other than P&O, and I suspect that you have looked at nothing else other than RCI. It is, at best, a limited personal opinion.

:confused:

I keep trying other cruiselines. I have tried Royal Caribbean twice, Cunard (QE2) once and Costa (never again), but I have not yet found any better than P&O. Certainly RC have some nice ships and some good food but for general all round good service, varied entertainment and value for money P&O are the best....so far!

Brian

How can you say that? Your record shows no experience other than P&O, and I suspect that you have looked at nothing else other than RCI. It is, at best, a limited personal opinion.

:confused:

I was referring to itineraries, as I think my post indicates. You do not need to have gone on any other line to know what their itineraries are.

You eerrrrr read their brochures or look it up on the internet.

So what I said was not opinion it was fact.

No other cruise line has the same range of itineraries with so many ships, sailing from the UK.

Dai

No other cruise line has the same range of itineraries with so many ships, sailing from the UK.[/color]

What about Fred Olsen? They even sail from multiple ports in the UK. Definately worth a try - lovely atmosphere and traditional product.

The loyalty P and O has is impressive - we'll probably try them in 2010 to sample the product ourselves since so many folk rate them so highly

No other cruise line has the same range of itineraries with so many ships, sailing from the UK.[/color]

What about Fred Olsen? They even sail from multiple ports in the UK. Definately worth a try - lovely atmosphere and traditional product.

The loyalty P and O has is impressive - we'll probably try them in 2010 to sample the product ourselves since so many folk rate them so highly

Certainly Fred is the only one who would come near P&O.

And handy for us with sailings from the Tyne.

Perhaps one day?

Dai

The loyalty P and O has is impressive

Blind loyalty IMHO. I don't wear rose-coloured glasses.

The standard has been dropping for a few years now. My belief is that it is a function of P&O trying to be all things to all men, and the inevitable Bean Counter driven cost cutting. It doesn't work.

:(

Archived