Best Shuttle P/U - Los Veranos Canopy Tour

Chesie

Hi everyone!

Would we be better off picking up the shuttle from Collage Disco, which I'm told is very close to the cruise ships, or right at the Canopy office?

Still trying to figuire out the ship time vs PV time for a shuttle

Hi everyone!

Would we be better off picking up the shuttle from Collage Disco, which I'm told is very close to the cruise ships, or right at the Canopy office?

Still trying to figuire out the ship time vs PV time for a shuttle

As a general rule ...

The published itinerary arrival/departure time is local time for that given port.

Ship's time is one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time for nearly all ships in a standard 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

The Collage Disco is located a mile or so north of the port. The Los Veranos office is on the south side of Vallarta. In my opinion, it makes no sense to pay a taxi to go in the wrong direction to wait for a "free" shuttle that may or may not be on time. You can take a taxi directly to the office for just a few dollars more. Their web site shows tours leaving their office on the :45 starting at 8:45. I would book the second tour after your ship arrives, take a taxi direct to the office with arrival 15-20 minutes before the tour is scheduled to depart. (EX: 0900 ship arrival, book 10:45 tour, leave the ship around 10, get a taxi and head to the office with arrival at roughly 10:25.)

Enjoy!

We just booked the Los Veranos Canopy Tour through Puerto Vallarta Tours (Johann and Sandra). We had planned on catching a cab down to the Canopy Office, but the people at Puerto Vallarta Trous were very helpful and suggested catching the bus at Collage Disco rather than paying for a taxi to the Canopy Office. We checked it out on http://wikimapia.org and it's only a couple blocks away, so will likely just walk up there.

We just booked the Los Veranos Canopy Tour through Puerto Vallarta Tours (Johann and Sandra). We had planned on catching a cab down to the Canopy Office, but the people at Puerto Vallarta Trous were very helpful and suggested catching the bus at Collage Disco rather than paying for a taxi to the Canopy Office. We checked it out on http://wikimapia.org and it's only a couple blocks away, so will likely just walk up there.

It is 1.2 miles from the port to Collage. The last 100 yards or so does not have sidewalks. You get to walk through rubble strewn lots or play frogger on the highway.

Do what you think is best for your party but I have made that walk once before and won't do it again.

I agree. Collage Disco is NOT a couple of blocks away. And is the opposite direction of the Los Veranos office.

You would be much better off taking a taxi directly to the office. Probably about 80 Pesos or so which is about $6.25 US.

As a general rule ...

The published itinerary arrival/departure time is local time for that given port.

Ship's time is one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time for nearly all ships in a standard 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

The Collage Disco is located a mile or so north of the port. The Los Veranos office is on the south side of Vallarta. In my opinion, it makes no sense to pay a taxi to go in the wrong direction to wait for a "free" shuttle that may or may not be on time. You can take a taxi directly to the office for just a few dollars more. Their web site shows tours leaving their office on the :45 starting at 8:45. I would book the second tour after your ship arrives, take a taxi direct to the office with arrival 15-20 minutes before the tour is scheduled to depart. (EX: 0900 ship arrival, book 10:45 tour, leave the ship around 10, get a taxi and head to the office with arrival at roughly 10:25.)

Enjoy!

Sounds like going directly to the office would be best. Our intinenary states 10 am arrival. So do you think I would make the 10:45 or play it safe and try for the 11:45? I would assume, althought really shouldn't, that there are taxis at the port? I looked at cruise tt and the Sapphire is the only ship in port that day.

Thanks for all your help!

Sounds like going directly to the office would be best. Our intinenary states 10 am arrival. So do you think I would make the 10:45 or play it safe and try for the 11:45? I would assume, althought really shouldn't, that there are taxis at the port? I looked at cruise tt and the Sapphire is the only ship in port that day.

Thanks for all your help!

Nancy and John,

Sapphire at the #1 dock

2764322070078358666S500x500Q85.jpg

Sapphire should be dockside at or a little before 10 AM local. Here is where the "if's" kick in -

If the ship is on time; If you can be among the first off the ship; If you know which taxis you plan to use and how much you are willing to pay ... Then yes, you might be able to make a 1045 start time.

There are two taxi companies in Vallarta: Yellow city taxis and white/cream colored Federal taxis.

The Federal taxis operate from the port and airport properties. They charge per person and are often charge a higher rate than the city taxis.

City taxis charge per cab ride with up to four people in the cab. Rates are set by zone. I think the going rate for a city taxi, port to the south side, is 80 pesos (roughly $8 USD). I don't know what the Federal taxis charge because we don't use them.

The Federal taxis are right there inside the port, the city taxis are right outside the port property by the main street. The taxi game is where you have the greatest chance of losing time. The Federal drivers will try to get your business as you walk out of the port building. Ask how much for two people to Los Veranos and accept his price or bargain for a rate you are willing to pay. If it is too high, walk on by toward the highway, hail a yellow cab and repeat the process.

Your call on how much pressure you want to put on yourself when up against the "if's".

A recent cruiser reported that their friends, confused on local vs. ship's time, arrived at the Los Veranos office an hour early and they let them go on the earlier tour. You could book the 11:45 tour, hustle to get there for the 10:45 departure and see if they will let you on that earlier tour. The worst that could happen is you have to hang around in the area for an hour if they say no.

This is an aerial view of the south side. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=20.6018358&lon=-105.2339387&z=18&l=0&m=b&search=puerto%20vallarta%2C%20jalisco%2C%20mexico The photo should be centered just to the left of the PEMEX gas station across the street from the Los Veranos office (building with white outline around it). Above and slightly to the right is the number 333. At that location you will find the Mundo de Cristal glass factory outlet store. They sell a wide variety of hand made glass items and are worth a look.

Enjoy!

Paul and Marilyn,

THANK YOU!! I'm not a gambler so it's the 11:45 tour and take a taxi to the office direct. DH can bargain with the taxi people. I'm a bottom line kinda gal and he loves to try to get a deal! If we get there early and they can take usfor the 10:45 so be it. I'll be happy hanging and shopping for a hour:D:D

Thanks for all your advise with this crazy ship/land time. Appreciate it much!

A couple of weeks ago, there were several in a taxi van (inside port gates) that went downtown and then Los Veranos office...The ones going downtown were $3pp and the rest of us going to LV office were $4pp.

Thanks for the 411. I'll be sure to bring alot of small bills. Did you do the LV canopy tour? If so, can you describe it a bit?

Chesie,

I have done the LV canopy tour twice. I love it. The guides are so helpful and so much fun. There is some uphill hiking involved, and most people in the best of shape still will be huffing and puffing a bit. It's the heat and altitude, but you get rests at each zip line. I'm 58 and small stature, and I was out of breath, but I kept on truckin along. They do have a few bottled water stations (later bottles and paper cups).

I started saving $1 bills about 2 months before I left. Every time I used cash and got change, the dollars would go into an envelope. Really came in handy.

Let me know if you have any more questions...Debbie

Chesie,

I have done the LV canopy tour twice. I love it. The guides are so helpful and so much fun. There is some uphill hiking involved, and most people in the best of shape still will be huffing and puffing a bit. It's the heat and altitude, but you get rests at each zip line. I'm 58 and small stature, and I was out of breath, but I kept on truckin along. They do have a few bottled water stations (later bottles and paper cups).

I started saving $1 bills about 2 months before I left. Every time I used cash and got change, the dollars would go into an envelope. Really came in handy.

Thanks Debbie. I'll take you up on that offer when it gets a bit closer!

Nancy

Chesie,

I'm also thinking of doing this trip is there any ladders you have to climb up?

There are a couple of circular ladders. The first one, where they take your picture that you can purchase ($10), and I believe the 3rd or 4th line has a circular ladder. I think there were only 2, if memory serves me.

LADDERS??!!:eek: When I was asking other cc members they said no bridges or rapelling and that was one reason we want to book LV canopy tour. Ladders oh my! Can you elaborate?

LOL!!! The ladders aren't bad...just those iron, circular, maybe 15-20 steps to get to a couple of the lines in the beginning of the tour. After those, you do more uphill walking to get to the others. There are no bridges or repelling.

We took a taxi from OUTSIDE the port area to the canopy office, for 4 of us $8 US plus tip. To me, much easier being at the office when the trip leaves instead of trying to make all the appropriate connections.

As far as the ladders, think of a circular staircase in a house that goes up 1 floor. Easy to do. We had a blast o this tour and would do it again in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

We took a taxi from OUTSIDE the port area to the canopy office, for 4 of us $8 US plus tip. To me, much easier being at the office when the trip leaves instead of trying to make all the appropriate connections.

As far as the ladders, think of a circular staircase in a house that goes up 1 floor. Easy to do. We had a blast o this tour and would do it again in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info!

There are a couple of circular ladders. The first one, where they take your picture that you can purchase ($10), and I believe the 3rd or 4th line has a circular ladder. I think there were only 2, if memory serves me.

Circular ladders I can handle and hills. Was there also mentioned that on one of the ziplines you end up in water? So you should bring a change of clothes?

Sorry for the scare Chesie!!! It's always good to know what your in for beforehand.

Circular ladders I can handle and hills. Was there also mentioned that on one of the ziplines you end up in water? So you should bring a change of clothes?

Sorry for the scare Chesie!!! It's always good to know what your in for beforehand.

No Problem! Glad I was informed ahead of time. I believe the zipline goes across the water and you end up where the restaurant/gift shop is by the waters edge. I was told you can swim if you want. Someone on the board said to wear your suit underneath. I have "thunder thighs" so that's not happening.LOL! We'll probably just sit by the water and have a drink and bite to eat before going back to port.

Yes, you are right Chesie...no ziplines into the water. You go over the river. The restaurant is at rivers edge and you there is a rock slide and a small walk in beach area. You do have about 45mins before your bus leaves the area, to eat, drink or explore. There is also a tequila tasting bar right as you come off the last line.

Boy am I a bit frustrated:mad: I'm trying to book the canopy tour at Los Veranos. We are on Princess Sapphire arriving at 10am Tuesday 5/4/10 according to our itinerary. Called PV Tours (Johann & Sandra) The sales person there said that 10 am IS PV time also (here we go again) She said to take the 11:45 am tour from the canopy office and they return around 4-4:30 pm ISH. Sapphire leaves at 6 pm according to my itinerary. I then called Los Veranos canopy tours direct and they said either the 10:45 or 11:45. But the 10:45 am tour we have to get back to the ship by ourselves. The 11:45 tour they will drop us off at the ship around 4-4:30 ISH. How true is that and that would be cutting it close??

Can someone who has been on this tour and had dealings with both PV Tours and Los Veranos help me with this.

At this point I'm ready to stay on the ship and drink all day!

THANKS!!

Chesie,

I see you are going next May, so the US will be observing daylight savings. That will put us 1 hour behind PV time. I'm not sure what the Sapphire does, but when I was recently on the Splendor, we didn't touch our clocks and remained 1 hour behind PV....

All posted itinerary times are ship times...if you speak to anyone from LV or PV Tours, they will talk in PV time....I have always booked directly thru LV, no middleman.

So here's an example...

Arrive in PV 10am (11am PV time)...yes,you should make the 11:45 tour from the canopy office...go directly to canopy office

When you were told you would be back at 4-430, that was PV time (ship time 3-330)

We took the 10:45 tour (PV time-9:45 ship) and were back to the ship by 2 (ship time)...I checked the pics on my camera to make sure, because we went to the bar outside and had a couple of drinks.

Does this help at all? Really need to find out from someone that sailed during daylight savings time on the Sapphire, what the Captain did as far as clocks...LOL!

Archived