Critique my packing list

Krissta

[quote name='eng4']HUH???? It doesnt have a lock or a key pad or something?? That makes no sense to me at all. So anyone can open my safe with a magnetic strip??[/quote]

Eng4, Go to walmart, get a gift card, don't put any money on it, they are free. When you get to to your room, use it to open the safe. Noone can open that safe with anything other than that one particular card. No keypad...just a slide for the card. Once you use the card it will take that card to open and close it.

[quote name='PastCarnivalLegend']Eng4, Go to walmart, get a gift card, don't put any money on it, they are free. When you get to to your room, use it to open the safe. Noone can open that safe with anything other than that one particular card. No keypad...just a slide for the card. Once you use the card it will take that card to open and close it.[/quote]

Okay, thanks. Glad I read this. Didnt know anything about it.

[quote name='mmemichele']Water shoes
Bug Spray
Wear your hoodie on the plane ..I always do .If you don't need it tie it around your waist Out of curiosity how many bags do you have for all that ?[/quote]

Word of caution about hoodies and airport security. I made it through two security checkpoints before a TSA official requested me to take my hoodie off, as it is considered a coat. I had nothing on underneath but a bra. I had to wait about 45 minutes for a female TSA agent to search me, causing me to almost miss my flight. After about 20 minutes, I offered to take it off but the agent didn't appreciate my humor. :cool:

If you wear it, make sure you can take it off and get it through the scanner.

[quote name='Catrin'][quote name='Krissta']I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

• Face wash (3 oz. or less)[COLOR=magenta] Available for free in bathroom[/COLOR]

• Body wash (3 oz. or less) [COLOR=magenta]Available for free in bathroom[/COLOR]
• Shampoo and conditioner (3 oz. or less each) [COLOR=magenta]Available for free in bathroom[/COLOR]
• Games (cards or other) [COLOR=magenta]Available for free in library of ship[/COLOR]
• Cell phone charger (use cell phone as a clock) [COLOR=magenta]I would rethink using cellphone. You may get hit with roaming charges. A cheap travel clock is just fine[/COLOR]
• Small umbrella [COLOR=magenta]I think it is considered bad luck to have an umbrella on a ship[/COLOR][/quote Do they refill shampoo and conditioner and that kind of stuff as you use them or is it just kind of a one time basket of stuff?

Just something to add on the safe thing...

Everyone says get a gift card or something so you don't accidentally mess your credit card strip up and actually need it. But I want to point out that not every ship is like that. On the Destiny you still set it it with a code.

About the shoe organizer. I have a little opinion about that also. I'm sitting' on that fence! For just DH and myself.. no organizer.. there is plenty of room for your things. However, when it's me, DH, and 3 children, I bring it. Then I have 5 bottles of perfume, 5 toothbrushes, 2 different toothpaste (kids&adults), tear-free shampoo, regular shampoo, sunscreen for kids, tanning stuff for me, band aides, q-tips, cotton balls, hair gel for guys, hair spray for girls........ Anyway, bathroom stuff alone for 5 people is a lot of junk.

If you know now there is going to be a lot of "stuff" to clutter your room bring it!

Just remember..if it's stressing you.. walk away.. this is supposed to be FUN!!;)

Also if you haven't flown since the Detroit scare a few weeks back, make sure not to put anything too breakable in your carry on. EVERYTHING (including purses) must go into overhead storage now. nothing can sit on the floor under the seat in front of you. You can take things down during the flight, but once you are within an hour of your destination, everything must be returned, and no leaving your seat for any reason (this may not apply to all airlines, but it does to Delta)

Good Afternoon.....Ummm...we just got off NW (Delta) last evening, in Detroit, from San Juan. I had my carry on above in the compartment...but also had my purse and a large plastic bag with a big hat in it, under the seat in front of me. They were not very strict at all. As an added comment, if anything, the interior of the airplane was dirty - in corners in the galley, and in the bathroom. The seats were past worn out with a huge sag in the middle of the seat. I plan to submit a formal complaint about this, as it was disgusting.
Otherwise, the cruise was absolutely a fantasy and we had a great time on the Caribbean Princess for 2 weeks. :)

[quote name='Katecat']
Good Afternoon.....Ummm...we just got off NW (Delta) last evening, in Detroit, from San Juan. I had my carry on above in the compartment...but also had my purse and a large plastic bag with a big hat in it, under the seat in front of me. They were not very strict at all. [/quote]

Same experience flying Southwest yesterday from Providence to Tampa. No special restrictions on what could be under the seat in front of you. We had a backpack, water bottle and my wife's purse. No issues.

On the flight up on Saturday (also Southwest), they said you couldn't have anything stored in the seatback pocket during takeoff and landing - nothing mentioned about anything under your seat.

So, your mileage will vary. :)

[quote name='Max Circus']Same experience flying Southwest yesterday from Providence to Tampa. No special restrictions on what could be under the seat in front of you. We had a backpack, water bottle and my wife's purse. No issues.

On the flight up on Saturday (also Southwest), they said you couldn't have anything stored in the seatback pocket during takeoff and landing - nothing mentioned about anything under your seat.

So, your mileage will vary. :)[/QUOTE]

Excellent. I was worried about this, but looks like I won't have to be! :)

[U][B]Stcroixmom..[/B][/U] They do not refill the baskets, and you never know what they will have for sure, usually a razor for sure. They did refill baskets on the Princess [U]once[/U], but not on the Carnival at all. I usually bring my own small bottle of shampoo and conditioner as I just dont like what they have hanging the shower stalls. I do bring an umbrella, but I actually found one expandable that is only about 4-6 inches tall and fits great anywhere. And since I don't use it onboard ship, cant be unlucky.. just like u dont use one in the house... lol. My dh is diabetic.. with sleep apnia.. so the stuff we have to take adds up, I'm just glad we drive and the cruise line is more generous than the airlines on baggage.

The power strip just depends, there is only one outlet in the room and it's not a double outlet. So if you have several ladies getting ready and need a more than one thing plugged in.. or music.. etc.. fan.. My dh has sleep apnia so we need it for his machine, and I use a small tiny hi powered fan i found, 2 of the ships were stuffy at night, while one of them I could adjust the temperture quite well and didn't need one. I too didn't need a shower organizer or a over the door organizer, but there are only 2 of us so the space is very roomy, if there were 4, it might be a different story.

We are trying to save some weight this time and plan on buying our toiletries, sunscreen, books etc. in Cocoa Beach. Anything that can be thrown out or used up or in the case of books donated to the library, so we don't have to take them on our flights in either direction.

On my first cruise last March, the very first sea day was a rainy windy mess. All we wanted to do was sit in the back and play cards with some drinks. There were absolutely NO playing cards anywhere on board, so you can't always count on getting them for free.

Do you use any hair product or styling implements, such as a curling iron or flat iron? After dealing with the piece of garbage hair dryer last year, I will for sure always bring my own travel dryer, but some people recommend bringing a heavy duty rubber band to hold the button down.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Krissta, I found this link on our roll call - only 15 days till we leave the dock!

I was struggling to start my packing list so I'm starting with yours. Thanks so much!

I am a super light sleeper, so I now travel with foam earplugs. The one time I forgot, I did not sleep well for the entire trip.

[quote name='Krissta']I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

Toiletry Bag:
• Tylenol
• Seasick bands
• Antacids
• Pepto (tablet kind)
• Immodium AD (pills)
• Toothbrush
• Brush
• Contact lens case and extra pair of contacts
• Makeup
• Eyelash curler
• Prescription meds (in prescription bottles with names and info on them)
• Razor

Ziploc Quart-size Bag:
• Hand sanitizer (3 oz. or less)
• Face wash (3 oz. or less)
• Body wash (3 oz. or less)
• Shampoo and conditioner (3 oz. or less each)
• Deodorant (3 oz. or less)
• Toothpaste (3 oz. or less)
• Contact lens solution (3 oz. or less)

General Carry-on:
• Undergarments
• Bathing suit
• Nalgene bottle
• One full outfit
• Sandals
• Pajamas
• Small notebook to journal with pens and a highlighter
• First aid kit
• Games (cards or other)
• Books/magazines
• Cell phone charger (use cell phone as a clock)
• Extension cord/power strip
• Mini stereo for iPhone
• Psi bands
• Water wallet

Purse:
• All travel documents (passport, travel itinerary, airline tickets, cruise documents, medical insurance info, trip insurance info, emergency contact phone numbers, photocopy of the back of your credit cards)
• Wallet (photo ID, debit card, credit card, insurance cards, cash [50 $1 bills/10 $5 for tipping])
• Camera
• Snacks
• Gum
• Hair elastics
• Lip balm
• Kleenex
• Sunglasses
• Keys

Checked Luggage:
• Undergarments
• Socks
• Fancy shoes
• Second swimsuit
• Dress/fancy outfit for elegant nights
• Shawl
• Shorts
• T-shirts
• Tank tops
• One pair of jeans
• Windbreaker
• Button-up sweater/hoodie
• Sunscreen (Ziploc)
• Aloe (Ziploc)
• Nail clippers
• Beach towels
• Lotion
• Empty beach bag
• Backpack

Misc:
• Duct tape
• Ziploc bags of all sizes
• Corkscrew
• Rum Runner flasks
• Small umbrella
• Snorkel equipment
• Water shoes
• Travel size Woolite
• Clothes pins
• Hat
• Insulated coffee mugs
• Bungee cords (holds the balcony door open)
• Hanging closet organizer
• Shower organizer
• Small alarm clock
• Large plastic cups
• Sham wow! (good for drying off swimsuits)
• Hard envelope to put purchased photographs in
• Clutch purse[/quote]

[B][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=magenta]I want to travel with you! You seem so organized and prepared! But you can leave some stuff at home. Leave the shampoo and body wash at home, but DO bring the conditioner. There will be shampoo and body wash in your shower. Carnival provides everyone a beach towel to use both on and off the boat, so you can leave those at home too! I don't think that you will need an alarm clock either, since you are using your cell phone as a clock, just use it as the alarm clock also. That's what I do and it works just fine. Be sure to bring extra batteries, or battery charger, for your camera. It would be awful to not be able to take pictures! Have a great cruise![/COLOR][/FONT][/B] :D

[quote name='KTaylore']Hi Krissta, I found this link on our roll call - only 15 days till we leave the dock!

I was struggling to start my packing list so I'm starting with yours. Thanks so much!

I am a super light sleeper, so I now travel with foam earplugs. The one time I forgot, I did not sleep well for the entire trip.[/QUOTE]

Glad to be of help! As you can see, I'm OCD when it comes to planning. :D

I don't think I could ever post my packing list for criticism on here. Some people's comments come off rather rude, even if unintended. Some people are less stressed when they pack less and some are less stressed when they pack more! I realize the criticism was asked for, I just feel like some of the remarks were helpful while still being nice and some were bordering on mean and questioning like she's doing something horribly wrong and should be punished! Maybe just me.

Looks like a good list though. Good resource for ideas.

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

Toiletry Bag:

• Tylenol

• Seasick bands

• Antacids

• Pepto (tablet kind)

• Immodium AD (pills)

• Toothbrush

• Brush

• Makeup

• Eyelash curler

• Razor

Ziploc Quart-size Bag:

General Carry-on:

• Undergarments

• Bathing suit

• Nalgene bottle

• One full outfit

• Sandals

• Pajamas

• First aid kit

• Games (cards or other)

• Books/magazines

• Mini stereo for iPhone

• Psi bands

• Water wallet

Purse:

• All travel documents (passport, travel itinerary, airline tickets, cruise documents, medical insurance info, trip insurance info, emergency contact phone numbers, photocopy of the back of your credit cards)

• Wallet (photo ID, debit card, credit card, insurance cards, cash [50 $1 bills/10 $5 for tipping])

• Camera

• Snacks

• Gum

• Hair elastics

• Lip balm

• Kleenex

• Sunglasses

• Keys

Checked Luggage:

• Undergarments

• Socks

• Fancy shoes

• Second swimsuit

• Shawl

• Shorts

• T-shirts

• Tank tops

• One pair of jeans

• Windbreaker

• Sunscreen (Ziploc)

• Aloe (Ziploc)

• Nail clippers

• Beach towels

• Lotion

• Empty beach bag

• Backpack

Misc:

• Duct tape

• Corkscrew

• Rum Runner flasks

• Small umbrella

• Snorkel equipment

• Water shoes

• Travel size Woolite

• Clothes pins

• Hat

• Insulated coffee mugs

• Shower organizer

• Small alarm clock

• Large plastic cups

• Clutch purse

sorry if someone else posted this, but cheap rain poncho.

I don't think I could ever post my packing list for criticism on here. Some people's comments come off rather rude, even if unintended. Some people are less stressed when they pack less and some are less stressed when they pack more! I realize the criticism was asked for, I just feel like some of the remarks were helpful while still being nice and some were bordering on mean and questioning like she's doing something horribly wrong and should be punished! Maybe just me.

Looks like a good list though. Good resource for ideas.

It does sometimes seem that people get ocd about thier packing lists... and about how much you should or shouldn't take, and feel only thier list is correct. I think it varies according to personal taste, habits and medical needs also. You do always take too much your first cruise.. and forget something you probably should have taken so this one is a good one to look at.. stuff like sunblock, tylenol.. personal items are very expensive onboard ship.. now some people want more than 4 tops.. but will get criticized because they do.. now that was just an example not an exact figure.. plz don't get mad at me, anyone. Taking 10 pairs of shoes on board ship though is really a waste of space.. Following thier recomendations.. such as one pair of dress for both dresses for elegant nights.. one or 2 pair of sandals and one pair of tennis shoes.. is plenty. One woman recommends only 2 bras for a 7 day cruise.. I like 4... You take thier list and do a little of personal fixing to it... I have a small 3 and half inch umbrella I take.. I lucked out and found it, takes up almost no space, yet goes to a full size umbrella, and of course I only use it off board ship. Some recommend an alarm clock some don't.. I like one.. I will not use my cell.. my alarm clock is like 3" by 3" or less and very flat..

My dh is diabetic and has sleep apnia.. so I have to watch what I pack to have room for his machine and we always have a carry one for meds. So when people say you don't need but so much room sometimes they forget that people also have other needs besides just clothes, which requires you to have extra baggage.

I'm with KTaylor as I always take foam earplugs. But I also take a small shampoo as well as a conditioner. My hair does not do well with the shampoo in the shower stall.. and never forget my chapstick.

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

Toiletry Bag:

• Tylenol

• Seasick bands

• Antacids

• Pepto (tablet kind)

• Immodium AD (pills)

• Toothbrush

• Brush

• Makeup

• Eyelash curler

• Razor

Ziploc Quart-size Bag:

General Carry-on:

• Undergarments

• Bathing suit

• Nalgene bottle

• One full outfit

• Sandals

• Pajamas

• First aid kit

• Games (cards or other)

• Books/magazines

• Mini stereo for iPhone

• Psi bands

• Water wallet

Purse:

• Camera

• Snacks

• Gum

• Hair elastics

• Lip balm

• Kleenex

• Sunglasses

• Keys

Checked Luggage:

• Undergarments

• Socks

• Fancy shoes

• Second swimsuit

• Shawl

• Shorts

• T-shirts

• Tank tops

• One pair of jeans

• Windbreaker

• Sunscreen (Ziploc)

• Aloe (Ziploc)

• Nail clippers

• Beach towels

• Lotion

• Empty beach bag

• Backpack

Misc:

• Duct tape

• Corkscrew

• Rum Runner flasks

• Small umbrella

• Snorkel equipment

• Water shoes

• Travel size Woolite

• Clothes pins

• Hat

• Insulated coffee mugs

• Shower organizer

• Small alarm clock

• Large plastic cups

• Clutch purse

I thought I was was OCD-I take digital photos of my clothes & then make my list. I would delete the shampoo, body wash- the ship/hotel will supply. The woolite is good-in your CHECKED bag or it has to go into the 311 bagalong with the sunscreen, aloe. If using cell phone as clock- it can also be used as an alarm- leave the alarm clock home.Beach towels are supplied-leave it home. Snorkel equioment-its personal choice if you do a lot of snokeling take it. If its just for one excusrion-leave it. Snorkeling excursions supply the snorkel,mask etc. Leave the plastic cups & coffee mug just take up space. You can always get coffee on the ship.Decide between beach bag and back pack-either one can do double duty. Remeber less is more. Less is easier to pack and to carry. I did 14 day E, Med cruise- On Celebrity last Jun with just a 21" Travelpro carry on. Just learn to mix & match. Everything you pack should be able to do double duty.

Carole

Archived