Critique my packing list

Krissta

The Woolite is specifically for washing bathing suits. And the clothes pins are to hang them to dry. :)

And that's a great tip for the binder clips! What size do you take? The huge ones?

I usually take the mediums. If you choose to take towels with you, try to find some very cheap ones, then leave them on the ship. IMO towels would get too yucky to bring back, unless they're washed.

Where are you going?

I love the Sam-wow idea. I use them all the time at home.

Also the binder clips for the towel--great one!

The room steward told me to contact room service for a corkscrew which came 45 minutes later. I take my own.

I always take my own conditioner. Hair seems to really dry out in the salty air.

I would bring a hairdryer..........some of the ones on the ship are crap.......leave the beach towels at home.......all those shower organizers such.......you can nix them.......you want as less weight as possible on the plane.....

I always bring my umbrella.......it comes in hand when we stay a day before and after in rainy Florida:p

But seriously I think you are waaaay overpacking....especially your carryon.........

Sounds like you need to do what most people do on these threads, make a list, and take off half. You are lugging around a lot of stuff you wont need. Make sure any meds you carry are in your purse. I didn't see flash light or night light, and that is one thing I always carry when I travel. We have a great combo flash light/clock runs on batteries. Leave the mugs and cups at home. They will have what you need on the ship. And as far as taking them off the ship in ports, well unless it's the US, you won't be able to. Bottled water and prepackaged snacks only, no open foods. I am going through the same thing, organizing my packing list. So thanks for sharing yours and allowing me to take more off of mine. LOL Happy Sailing:)

Sounds like you need to do what most people do on these threads, make a list, and take off half. You are lugging around a lot of stuff you wont need. Make sure any meds you carry are in your purse. I didn't see flash light or night light, and that is one thing I always carry when I travel. We have a great combo flash light/clock runs on batteries. Leave the mugs and cups at home. They will have what you need on the ship. And as far as taking them off the ship in ports, well unless it's the US, you won't be able to. Bottled water and prepackaged snacks only, no open foods. I am going through the same thing, organizing my packing list. So thanks for sharing yours and allowing me to take more off of mine. LOL Happy Sailing:)

I also bring a night-light and a small flashlight (waterproof and it needs no batteries).

What shoes are you wearing on the plane? If you are only packing sandals, fancy shoes and water shoes I commend you! I am never able to get away with so few pairs of shoes!

I would lose the carryon and instead of packing beach bag and/or backpack I would use one of those as a carryon and then it can serve double duty as your 'beach/excursion bay' when off the ship - sounds like too many bags to me? I agree that you do not need beach towels....I would also lose the plastic cups (no need for this) but keep the insulated mugs for use around the ship/cabin!

Didn't notice any jewellery? If so make sure this is with you and packed (as with all valuables!). Not sure why the water wallet is in the carryon?

And sounds like you have 1 outfit for elegant night but otherwise you are wearing shorts or jeans to the MDR? Noticed no bathing suit cover up? (unless you have a t-shirt that sould work?) I usualy have a sundress/coverup so I can go to buffet or walk around inside ship if I have my bathing suit on!

I also bring a booklight that doubles as a nightlight! And don't forget to pack a lanyard for your S&S card :D

I usually take the mediums. If you choose to take towels with you, try to find some very cheap ones, then leave them on the ship. IMO towels would get too yucky to bring back, unless they're washed.

Where are you going?

Yeah I was going to buy two cheap ones, but I might not! :)

DH and I are heading to the Eastern Caribbean. :D

Water shoes

Bug Spray

Wear your hoodie on the plane ..I always do .If you don't need it tie it around your waist Out of curiosity how many bags do you have for all that ?

One carry-on, purse, and one checked. But! For the carry-on stuff, DH can help me with some of that. :D I plan on splitting stuff up amongst the two of us, then helping my three friends who are going with us split stuff between them! Phew!

The major change in my opinion is that you carry all of your medications either in your purse or your carry on. If your luggage happens to get lost, you're out of luck.

Oh and one other thing, I wouldn't bring empty rum runners flasks, you might bring attention to yourself. :p

We're going a day early so I'll be filling them in Ft. Lauderdale. :p Tee hee hee!

Don't rely on your cell phone to tell time. Not just because of fees - but the time may be way off depending on what satellite they are linking through. I heard lots of complaints about this on my last cruise - people were trying to tell time with their cells and they were off by 5 or 6 hours.

I have a cheap, waterproof Timex sports watch I travel with.

I am also the OCD packer - I even have an Excel spreadsheet just for cruise packing! You will figure out what works for you and what doesn't. For instance, I would never bother with the shoe organizer or bungee cords and have never needed the extension cords, but I have to have my own thermal coffee mug and I always take duct tape after a torn suitcase incident a few years ago. The trick is to have everything you can in travel size. I even have travel size rolls of duct tape.

I didn't catch it if someone mentioned already, but clothespins are another must have item for me. Great for clipping wet swimsuits on the little retractable line in the shower and you can also clip them to the bottom of the shower curtain for weight to keep it from blowing in on you.

Make sure when you pack that anything valuable or not easily replaced in your purse or carryon - electronics, jewelry, money, credit cards, ID and medications don't ever leave my side until they go in the safe in room.

I also forgot to mention that I wouldn't bring the over the door shoe organizer. I bought one for my last cruise as we had our 3 year old with us and I was sure we wouldn't have enough room to store everthing. After reading these boards it sounded like it was a neccessity-but it wasn't. We had plenty of room and then some, the organizer is still sitting in its original packaging-now at the bottom of my closet. IMO there is really no need for it.

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

• Face wash (3 oz. or less) Available for free in bathroom

• Body wash (3 oz. or less) Available for free in bathroom

• Shampoo and conditioner (3 oz. or less each) Available for free in bathroom

• Games (cards or other) Available for free in library of ship

• Cell phone charger (use cell phone as a clock) I would rethink using cellphone. You may get hit with roaming charges. A cheap travel clock is just fine

• Small umbrella I think it is considered bad luck to have an umbrella on a ship

I always buy rain ponchos at the dollar store.. I think they keep you covered better , especially if you are carrying a backpack or purse and you have free hands. :)

[quote name='Krissta']I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

Toiletry Bag:
• Tylenol
• Seasick bands
• Antacids [COLOR=#ff0000]Pepto should cover it all... get rid of antacid and Immodium[/COLOR]
• Pepto (tablet kind)
• Immodium AD (pills)
• Toothbrush
• Brush
• Contact lens case and extra pair of contacts
• Makeup
• Eyelash curler
• Prescription meds (in prescription bottles with names and info on them)
• Razor

Ziploc Quart-size Bag:
• Hand sanitizer (3 oz. or less)
• Face wash (3 oz. or less)
• Body wash (3 oz. or less)
• Shampoo and conditioner (3 oz. or less each) [COLOR=red]available in room[/COLOR].
• Deodorant (3 oz. or less)
• Toothpaste (3 oz. or less)
• Contact lens solution (3 oz. or less)

General Carry-on:
• Undergarments
• Bathing suit
• Nalgene bottle
• One full outfit
• Sandals
• Pajamas
• Small notebook to journal with pens and a highlighter
• First aid kit
• Games (cards or other) [COLOR=red]You will be so excited that you won't play[/COLOR]
• Books/magazines [COLOR=red]or read...put in suitcase[/COLOR]
• Cell phone charger (use cell phone as a clock)
• Extension cord/power strip [COLOR=red]plenty of outlets in bathroom and room[/COLOR]
• Mini stereo for iPhone [COLOR=red]why?[/COLOR]
• Psi bands
• Water wallet

Purse:
• All travel documents (passport, travel itinerary, airline tickets, cruise documents, medical insurance info, trip insurance info, emergency contact phone numbers, photocopy of the back of your credit cards)
• Wallet (photo ID, debit card, credit card, insurance cards, cash [50 $1 bills/10 $5 for tipping])
• Camera
• Snacks
• Gum
• Hair elastics
• Lip balm
• Kleenex
• Sunglasses
• Keys

Checked Luggage:
• Undergarments
• Socks
• Fancy shoes
• Second swimsuit
• Dress/fancy outfit for elegant nights
• Shawl
• Shorts
• T-shirts
• Tank tops
• One pair of jeans [COLOR=red]Unless going to Alaska...take capris[/COLOR]
• Windbreaker [COLOR=red]one or the other-windbreaker or sweater/hoodie[/COLOR]
• Button-up sweater/hoodie
• Sunscreen (Ziploc)
• Aloe (Ziploc)
• Nail clippers
• Beach towels [COLOR=red]ship provides one for each guest to use[/COLOR]
• Lotion
• Empty beach bag [COLOR=red]one or the other-beach bag or backpack[/COLOR]
• Backpack

Misc:
• Duct tape [COLOR=red]why?[/COLOR]
• Ziploc bags of all sizes
• Corkscrew
• Rum Runner flasks
• Small umbrella [COLOR=red]why?[/COLOR]
• Snorkel equipment [COLOR=red]sanitized snorkel equip provided on all excursions[/COLOR]
• Water shoes
• Travel size Woolite
• Clothes pins
• Hat
• Insulated coffee mugs
• Bungee cords (holds the balcony door open) [COLOR=red]great idea! we use chair[/COLOR]
• Hanging closet organizer [COLOR=red]why?[/COLOR]
• Shower organizer [COLOR=#ff0000]racks in shower[/COLOR]
• Small alarm clock [COLOR=red]wake up call on room phones[/COLOR]
• Large plastic cups [COLOR=red]use ones from ship[/COLOR]
• Sham wow! (good for drying off swimsuits)
• Hard envelope to put purchased photographs in
• Clutch purse[/quote]

I too am a bit OCD, but honestly you are over packing. You may end up paying a baggage fee ontop of the misery of lugging this heavy bag. Because I am a planner/organizer I look forward to being in the middle of nowhere and not worrying or thinking about anything. It is good for the brain and the soul.
I am pretty particular about my face creams, soaps/shampoos, etc and I do pack travel bottles for myself but my husband and son use what is provided on the ship; sometimes Dove, sometimes Lever.
Remember you want room in your bag to pack goodies that you purchased!!! What's up w/ the duck tape? Do you have trick for securing luggage or might this be for luggage tags?
Happy sailing.

[quote name='Scootch']I too am a bit OCD, but honestly you are over packing. You may end up paying a baggage fee ontop of the misery of lugging this heavy bag. Because I am a planner/organizer I look forward to being in the middle of nowhere and not worrying or thinking about anything. It is good for the brain and the soul.
I am pretty particular about my face creams, soaps/shampoos, etc and I do pack travel bottles for myself but my husband and son use what is provided on the ship; sometimes Dove, sometimes Lever.
Remember you want room in your bag to pack goodies that you purchased!!! What's up w/ the duck tape? Do you have trick for securing luggage or might this be for luggage tags?
Happy sailing.[/quote]

Twice I have had the airlines damage my luggage in transit. Had to make the cab driver stop on the way to the ship so I could get duct tape to patch it up before turning it over to the porters. My clothes were starting to come out of the giant gash in the suitcase. After that I always travel with some. We have also used it to tape up boxes for liquor and purchases we made onboard. It also works to fix a busted zipper.

Also - the Dove and Lever products are no more. They now use a plain blue shower gel that I think smells like flea soap and the shampoo is an odd yellow stuff that is pretty drying. Learned my lesson the hard way on that one after reading here about the Dove and Lever stuff before my first cruise.

To the OP - don't let everyone make too much fun of you. Many people are more comfortable packing light. I am the type person who would be stressed out to sea if I forgot something or didn't have an item I really needed. This doesn't mean I bring the whole house, but I can get a ton of stuff in a bag by usuing travel sizes and packing efficiently and still come in at less than 40 pounds - that way I can add a few purchases on the trip and still not be over the weight limit on the way back.

[quote name='Martini Mom']You forgot the kitchen sink ;)[/quote] This is especially funny to me b/c of the email I sent to my BF this morning...

[COLOR=blue]"Speaking of packing -- is it possible for me to bring any more crap?!?!?!!?? I've been trying to wedge the kitchen sink in, but think I might have to leave that behind. WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT THE KITCHEN SINK???????"[/COLOR]

To the OP -- I think it's a great list! The only thing I would add is a waterproof flashlight. I've used it in blackouts while travelling due to a hurricane and, the following year, a tornado. Don't let the mockers get you down -- us packers have to stick together! ;)

[quote name='newcruiser09']Depending on the deodorant you use, you don't have to put it in your ziploc bag for airport purposes, a fellow traveller told me this tip when they saw me struggling to get all my liquids back in that little quart sized bag they allow. Just a suggestion if you're running out of room...[/quote]
Seriously?? If I use solid deoderant it doesn't have to go in the bag? This would make things much easier!

[quote name='Scootch']I too am a bit OCD, but honestly you are over packing. You may end up paying a baggage fee ontop of the misery of lugging this heavy bag. Because I am a planner/organizer I look forward to being in the middle of nowhere and not worrying or thinking about anything. It is good for the brain and the soul.
Happy sailing.[/QUOTE]
power strip & air freshener for cabin :)

A great list I photo copied it for a good starting list & added other items others mentioned after you posted I may take a few things off too!
I don't think you'll be going without a thing after you posted this thread.:) Good Job & thank-you!
Have a great cruise

I'm not sure what kind of suitcase you have but I have the big samsonite .I think it is 27 ".It has side pockets .I always leave in it clothesline and pins,beachbag big and light ,a sewing kit ...a flashlight .a mesh laundry bag ,a cheap plastic type raincoat .You would be amazed how often it came in handy !!!
Both you and hubby should have carry-ons .Do not take a purse Take a carry case >it fits more stuff .Put your purse make it small soft inside .I have a canvas one.I use that one on excursions .
I place my carry case on my carryon with wheels Hands are free .All my docs are in a pouch with multiple pockets All airline e-ticket info /hotel info with reservation number etc in 1 of the pockets on a small index card around my neck . DO NOT FUMBLE IN YOUR purse that is THE easiest way to lose stuff Add 1 pen
Passport fits in pocket of neck pouch .I actually can put 2 in Got it from PRINCESS...THANK YOU ..
All info fits ......Wear a zipper sweater or hoodie with $$$ for tips and cab fare.I never open my purse in Public if I can avoid it.My sweater has 4 zipped pockets .I carry headphones for plane in 2 Boarding pass in zipped pockets when I travel with my boys
Wear running shoes on plane NEVER NEVER wear open shoes .My sister had her toenail ripped right off by the wheels of a suitcase ....MAJOR OUCH ..Cover your feet
Keep cheap chinese slippers for walking in cabin ...Not outdoors very slippery on deck or wear flipflops in and out of room .My sister INSISTS flipflops in shower.Crocs I found were VERY slippery on decks ...Yes they are wet around pools plus they wash them a lot .Make sure you have slipproof sandals or flip flops
Do bring WATER shoes for beach ...Crabs love to nip at my bare feet ...WHY me LORD!!!!!!
so I always wear them .Lots of places have rocks and coral...major ouch ..eg GRAND TURK

Also I bought the Vacuum bags.They came in VERy handy .Stuff sometimes is bulky not heavy so they come in handy ...borrow the vacuum cleaner to zip air out .Now I leave them in the suitcase

Have a great trip

Bon Voyage

Michele

Looks like a very good thought-out list. I also wouldn't take beach towels; they do take up a lot of room and are provided on the ship. I also put all my travel documents, passport, birth certificate and even credit card in a zippered see-through pencil bag - the style kids use in a three-ring binder for school supplies and leave my wallet at home. It fits nicely in the safe and keeps it all together without fear of dropping anything when pulling from my purse. Also, on my 05/2010 cruise I am going to take a small fan - in the middle of the night, it tends to get a little warm in the room and also the air doesn't runs a little different in some rooms. I am also used to the noise of a fan at night. Have a wonderful cruise!:p

Archived