Critique my packing list

Krissta

[quote name='vacruizer']Twice I have had the airlines damage my luggage in transit. Had to make the cab driver stop on the way to the ship so I could get duct tape to patch it up before turning it over to the porters. My clothes were starting to come out of the giant gash in the suitcase. After that I always travel with some. We have also used it to tape up boxes for liquor and purchases we made onboard. It also works to fix a busted zipper.[COLOR=red] I learn so much from fellow cruisers. Duck tape will be in our bag this year.[/COLOR]

Also - the Dove and Lever products are no more. They now use a plain blue shower gel that I think smells like flea soap and the shampoo is an odd yellow stuff that is pretty drying. Learned my lesson the hard way on that one after reading here about the Dove and Lever stuff before my first cruise. [COLOR=red]I guess they too are cutting costs.[/COLOR]

To the OP - don't let everyone make too much fun of you. Many people are more comfortable packing light. I am the type person who would be stressed out to sea if I forgot something or didn't have an item I really needed. This doesn't mean I bring the whole house, but I can get a ton of stuff in a bag by usuing travel sizes and packing efficiently and still come in at less than 40 pounds - that way I can add a few purchases on the trip and still not be over the weight limit on the way back.[/quote]

[COLOR=red]Thank you!![/COLOR]

[quote name='Krissta']I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

Toiletry Bag:
• Tylenol
• Seasick bands
• Antacids
• Pepto (tablet kind)
• Immodium AD (pills)
• Toothbrush
• Brush
• Contact lens case and extra pair of contacts
• Makeup
• Eyelash curler
• Prescription meds (in prescription bottles with names and info on them)
• Razor

[COLOR=Red]Most of above should be checked, no need to carry it with you.[/COLOR]

Ziploc Quart-size Bag:
[COLOR=Red]• Hand sanitizer (3 oz. or less)
• Face wash (3 oz. or less)
• Body wash (3 oz. or less)
• Shampoo and conditioner (3 oz. or less each)
• Deodorant (3 oz. or less)
• Toothpaste (3 oz. or less)[/COLOR]
Put the above in checked luggage, and don't worry about the size. No limit on liquids in checked luggage.

• Contact lens solution (3 oz. or less)

General Carry-on:
• Undergarments
• Bathing suit
• Nalgene bottle
• One full outfit
• Sandals
• Pajamas
• Small notebook to journal with pens and a highlighter
[COLOR=Red] • First aid kit[/COLOR]
Check this.
• Games (cards or other)
• Books/magazines
• Cell phone charger (use cell phone as a clock) - [COLOR=Red]Your cell phine won't have a signal. Don't plan on using it for a clock.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red] • Extension cord/power strip[/COLOR]
You really don't need this and even if you think you do at least check it.

• Mini stereo for iPhone
• Psi bands
[COLOR=Red] • Water wallet[/COLOR]
Put it in checked luggage

Purse:
• All travel documents (passport, travel itinerary, airline tickets, cruise documents, medical insurance info, trip insurance info, emergency contact phone numbers, photocopy of the back of your credit cards)
• Wallet (photo ID, debit card, credit card, insurance cards, cash [50 $1 bills/10 $5 for tipping])
• Camera
• Snacks
• Gum
• Hair elastics
• Lip balm
• Kleenex
• Sunglasses
• Keys

Checked Luggage:
• Undergarments
• Socks
• Fancy shoes
• Second swimsuit
• Dress/fancy outfit for elegant nights
• Shawl
• Shorts
• T-shirts
• Tank tops
• One pair of jeans

[COLOR=Red]• Windbreaker
• Button-up sweater/hoodie[/COLOR]
Depending on the time of year you are cruising and where you can leave the above at home you won't need them in the Caribbean any time of year, only for the trip home.

• Sunscreen (Ziploc)
• Aloe (Ziploc)
• Nail clippers
[COLOR=Red] • Beach towels[/COLOR]
Carnival provides them don't bother
• Lotion
[COLOR=Red]• Empty beach bag
• Backpack[/COLOR]
Leave one of them at home

Misc:
[COLOR=Red] • Duct tape[/COLOR]
Leave it at home

• Ziploc bags of all sizes
• Corkscrew
• Rum Runner flasks
[COLOR=Red] • Small umbrella[/COLOR]
Why?

• Snorkel equipment
• Water shoes
• Travel size Woolite
• Clothes pins
• Hat
[COLOR=Red] • Insulated coffee mugs[/COLOR]
• [COLOR=Red] Bungee cords (holds the balcony door open)
• Hanging closet organizer
• Shower organizer
[/COLOR]Leave it at home
[COLOR=Red]
[COLOR=Black] • Small alarm clock[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]• Large plastic cups
• Sham wow! (good for drying off swimsuits)[/COLOR]
Why?

• Hard envelope to put purchased photographs in
• Clutch purse[/quote]

See notes above.

[quote name='Krissta']I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

Ziploc Quart-size Bag:
• Hand sanitizer (3 oz. or less)
• Face wash (3 oz. or less)--[COLOR=red]available free in shower[/COLOR]
• Body wash (3 oz. or less)--[COLOR=red]ditto[/COLOR]
• Shampoo and conditioner (3 oz. or less each)--[COLOR=red]free in shower. I don't like their shampoo, so bring my own...[/COLOR]
• Deodorant (3 oz. or less)
• Toothpaste (3 oz. or less)
• Contact lens solution (3 oz. or less)

General Carry-on:
• Undergarments
• Bathing suit
• Nalgene bottle
• One full outfit
• Sandals
• Pajamas
• Small notebook to journal with pens and a highlighter
• First aid kit--[COLOR=red]coupla bandaids and a tube of Neosporin should do[/COLOR]
• Games (cards or other)--[COLOR=red]available on the ship[/COLOR]
• Books/magazines--[COLOR=red]too much weight. bring 1 or 2 paperbacks[/COLOR]
• Cell phone charger (use cell phone as a clock)
• Extension cord/power strip--[COLOR=red]takes up too much room, never needed one in over 200 cruises..leave your electronic gadgets at home. For cameras, just bring an extra set of fully charged batteries.[/COLOR]
• Mini stereo for iPhone--[COLOR=#ff0000]except for inside your cabin, you'll need to use earbuds or headphones. Leave the speakers at home..[/COLOR]
• Psi bands
• Water wallet

Purse:
• All travel documents (passport, travel itinerary, airline tickets, cruise documents, medical insurance info, trip insurance info, emergency contact phone numbers, photocopy of the back of your credit cards)
• Wallet (photo ID, debit card, credit card, insurance cards, cash [50 $1 bills/10 $5 for tipping])
• Camera
• Snacks
• Gum
• Hair elastics
• Lip balm
• Kleenex
• Sunglasses
• Keys

Checked Luggage:
• Undergarments
• Socks
• Fancy shoes
• Second swimsuit
• Dress/fancy outfit for elegant nights
• Shawl
• Shorts
• T-shirts
• Tank tops
• One pair of jeans
• Windbreaker--[COLOR=red]never needed one.[/COLOR]
• Button-up sweater/hoodie--[COLOR=red]a little heavy...just bring a nice sweatshirt in case it gets cool in the evening.[/COLOR]
• Sunscreen (Ziploc)
• Aloe (Ziploc)
• Nail clippers
• Beach towels--[COLOR=red]provided free and in your cabin. Nice ones, too.[/COLOR]
• Lotion
• Empty beach bag
• Backpack--[COLOR=red]too heavy unless you are using it as a piece of luggage. Empty beach bag should serve the purpose...[/COLOR]

Misc:
• Duct tape--[COLOR=red]Never needed it in 30 years of travel except once...and it was on a ship....and Guest Services loaned me their roll to fix a busted zipper.[/COLOR]
• Ziploc bags of all sizes--[COLOR=red]2 or 3 should do nicely...1 gallon size.[/COLOR]
• Corkscrew
• Rum Runner flasks
• Small umbrella--[COLOR=#ff0000]when it rains, it rarely lasts more than a few minutes. Leave the brelly at home. If a sudden storm causes it to rain for a day or two, you can always buy a cheapie ashore...[/COLOR]
• Snorkel equipment
• Water shoes
• Travel size Woolite
• Clothes pins
• Hat
• Insulated coffee mugs--[COLOR=red]Personally, this would be something I wouldn't consider. Plenty of mugs and cups around the ship....[/COLOR]
• Bungee cords (holds the balcony door open)--[COLOR=red]Signage in your cabin, in the Capers and around the ship will advise to keep balcony doors closed. Open balcony doors are a fire hazard. If you must prop the door open when you're in the cabin, pull a balcony chair over. [/COLOR]
• Hanging closet organizer--[COLOR=red]Don't really need this...plenty of closet and shelf space and many, many drawers.[/COLOR]
• Shower organizer--[COLOR=red]?? There are trays attached to the shower for soap, shampoo, etc....and plenty of bathroom shelf space and a ledge underneatht the sink.....save room in your suitcase...leave this home.[/COLOR]
• Small alarm clock--[COLOR=red]You can leave an automated wake-up call on the phone in your room....and it really works.[/COLOR]
• Large plastic cups--[COLOR=red]Plenty of plastic cups available all over the ship. If you want a couple for your room, just get a few and bring them to your cabin.[/COLOR]
• Sham wow! (good for drying off swimsuits)
• Hard envelope to put purchased photographs in
• Clutch purse[/quote]

You've done a lot of planning and hard work here...good for you.

However, don't overdo it. Take only what you KNOW you'll use..take nothing "just in case". If you find you need something suddenly, you can usually find it on the ship somewhere or ashore.

Less luggage is true freedom.

I (and others on CC) manage a 7-day cruise in a 22" roll-on-board and a well-organized carry-on. Nothing goes in my suitcase unless it's going to be used...except my "medical kit" of 3/4 bandaids, Neosporin and a handful of q-tips, small bottle of ibuprofen.

I take 1 bathing suit...rinse it out after use, hang it to dry in the bathroom....and it's ready the next day...or the next time I use it.

Good luck and have a great time.

I love your list. I think you have everything covered. Just wanted to add I read on some other thread someone suggested cross packing in each others suitcases. Don't have a his and hers have some of each others stuff in each in case 1 of the suitcase get lost. I thought that was a great idea, so I'm passing it on!

Libby:)

[quote name='Muumuu']Make note of what you do not use or wear and then you can eliminate from your list for your next cruise.
This has been a very helpful tip for me.[/quote]

Great point - my packing list is on a spreadsheet - I take a copy with me and the last night when we are packing I mark the stuff that did not get used - then I update the spreadsheet when I am back home. It keeps getting shorter, not longer!

My goodness thats a lot of stuff - I pack the night before and I don't think I take half of that and then only use half of what I take. Like another poster said, cut your list in half and double your cash (lots of small bills for tips) One thing I always take are dryer sheets - I put them in the drawers just to freshen them up, one in my suitcase under the bed for dirty laundry and some in my bag when on excursions in place of bug spray, the little critters hate the smell for some reason. Just rub them over your skin. Have a blast.

[quote name='LoveMyBoxer']One thing I take on ALL cruises are the disinfecting wipes. I wipe down every door handle, TV remote, phone, etc. before anyone touches anything in the cabin.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=green]Me too!!! They don't clean those rooms well enough for me, Maybe it's just a matter of "peace of mind" but ..to eaach her own:)[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#008000][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=1][COLOR=#008000](I love my boxer too...another on the way and i can not wait!)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I don't recall anyone mentioning safety pins & a small sewing kit. You never know when that all important button will come off as you are getting ready. Sometimes we bring Walkie Talkies when we are with a group, makes it nice if you have a change in plans. We are used to having a fan run at night & will bring a small one with.

I know they say don't take the immodium.. but do.. the pills don't take up much space and work much better and quicker than pepto if the need arises. You can buy a small container of soap from Target/other stores of 3-4 loads or single loads from some places much cheaper than what they charge each and take a few fabric softner sheets in a baggy, chepaer than paying a dollar each for them on board, if u plan on doing any laundry.

[quote name='gator919']OK one of the post it was mentioned about a gift card for the safe, does that work? Does the card have to have a ballance on it or can it be empty?[/QUOTE]

It can be empty - as long as it has a magnetic strip on it. I use my airmiles card, others use old credit cards, gift cards, point cards etc. What ever floats your boat (or ship)

[quote name='Jett456']OK, so does anyone have a bare bones list. I need to take as little luggage as possible. We have five adults to fit into a Honda element to get to the airport. I don't know how I am going to do this.[/QUOTE]

I am probably not a good one to respond because - As long as I have my bathing suit, suncream, a credit card and lots of $1 I am good to go. Seriously though, I pack the night before (otherwise I over pack or have to repack because I forgot what I put in0 - 7 day cruise - 7 underwear - 2 socks - 2 bras - 1 dress pant and 2 fancy tops - 1 pair dress shoe - sandals or flip flops - running shoes - 3 shorts - 2 pants - Ts and tanks - 2 bathing suits - wrap. Makeup, glasses, meds and hygiene stuff. Dryer sheets for drawers and suitcase underbed for dirty laundry. All the other stuff is fluff but some people need or want ie: over the door thingy, bungee cords, hair dryer (supplied), shampoos and body wash (supplied), power strip (everything does not need to be plugged in all the time and there is a reason they have so few outlets (3000 people charging everything all the time) My family packs their own stuff (if you pack it you carry it) and if they forget something, so sad too bad - they won't next time. That is it in a nut shell - there are a number of little things I take but won't waste your time listing. Good luck and have a great cruise. PS don't double up on a lot of things - assign each person to bring certain things.

[quote name='erinmarie424']Great point - my packing list is on a spreadsheet - I take a copy with me and the last night when we are packing I mark the stuff that did not get used - then I update the spreadsheet when I am back home. It keeps getting shorter, not longer![/quote]
Great idea
Would you mind emailing the spreadsheet to me-not too adept at excel:o, so it would really be helpful. Thanks.
Karen

seagull.lover at hotmail dot com

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Catrin'][quote name='Krissta']I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning, so I've been working on this packing list for some time. Anyone have anything they think I should add/subtract? :)

Cruise Packing List

• Face wash (3 oz. or less)[COLOR=magenta] Available for free in bathroom[/COLOR]

• Body wash (3 oz. or less) [COLOR=magenta]Available for free in bathroom[/COLOR]
• Shampoo and conditioner (3 oz. or less each) [COLOR=magenta]Available for free in bathroom[/COLOR]
• Games (cards or other) [COLOR=magenta]Available for free in library of ship[/COLOR]
• Cell phone charger (use cell phone as a clock) [COLOR=magenta]I would rethink using cellphone. You may get hit with roaming charges. A cheap travel clock is just fine[/COLOR]
• Small umbrella [COLOR=magenta]I think it is considered bad luck to have an umbrella on a ship[/COLOR][/quote]

To the OP, If you plan on carrying the above item on the plane, then the original containers that they came in have to be less than 3 oz, not the current quantity. Of course if you are driving, don't bother with the small sizes, you can take any size on the ship.

I didn't read all the posts, but on our last cruise my ds (10 at the time) starting running a fever. That was the first cruise I added a thermometer to my first aid bag. Don't know what made me think of it before we left, but it came if very handy.

[quote name='Catrin'][quote name='Krissta']
• Cell phone charger (use cell phone as a clock) [COLOR=magenta]I would rethink using cellphone. You may get hit with roaming charges. A cheap travel clock is just fine[/COLOR]
[/quote]

If you put the Iphone on airplane mode you can still use the apps and functions without having to worry about incoming calls or texts.

Archived