Am I the only one who doesn't want to swim with stingrays?

crusinpsychRN

We swam with stingrays in Bora Bora for the first time, in 5' of water. We liked the unique experience and they are pretty tame especially with a guide along, but seems like once you do it, no reason to go again. I am considering an excursion to Stingray City (not Sandbar) where its deeper and you can venture out to a nearby reef to snorkel.

DH and I are not going to see the Stingrays even though we've never been. I am not all the keen on sea creatures brushing up against me, no matter how tame they are, and DH would rather spend more time snorkeling. My hairdresser said it was a once in a lifetime experience, but when I tried to pin him down, all it really entailed was the chance to be at one with wild nature. We have so little time on Grand Cayman that we decided to spend it snorkeling (the Reef & Wreck ship tour) and a visit to the Royal Palms beach.

So - no, you're not alone!

We have no desire to do it either. DD loves everything about the ocean but refuses to even try this excursion. (She is 19) Part of our group is also doing the reef & wreck excursion.

Of course she is still holding out hope that Jimmy will be making a surprise visit to Margaritaville like he did in January when we were there. That was the highlight of our cruise.

LOL about the chocolate melting cake! We have made fun of my husband for 2 years because he ordered it on the ship every night- he's a chocoholic and it was his only option. On the last night we ate at the buffet because I was in the Legends show and he thought he would finally get something else for dessert. Went up to the dessert table and there sat about 100 bowls of- you guessed it- chocolate melting cake. 100 days till our next cruise and I bet he can already taste it! We went in the stingray area at Nassau and he loved it. I freaked out when I saw their big shadows heading my way and ended up hanging out on the beach alone! We are thinking of doing Snuba in Grand Caymen.

Neither DH nor I are interested in swimming with the sting rays. Yuck. I have touched sting rays in a touch tank at a Florida zoo and that is close enough for me.

We are going to do some snorkeling at Eden Rock and then enjoy 7 mile beach. You couldn't pay us to go to the sandbar and kiss a stingray :eek:

We did the shallow dive with stingrays and loved the experience. But then as divers we enjoy getting close to all sorts of marine life. The stingrays are rather tamed though, and therefore more interactive than your typical truly wild stingrays, which will pass by but not get so up close and personal. The girl who was try to open the jar to pull out the food was getting frustrated at them all swarming her, and she passed it to the guy to deal with. They are not agressive in any manner, but they know they get fed, so they expect it and have no fear of humans. Therefore they will brush against you constantly. It's the same kind of thing as snorkeling or diving around turtles. You see them and can often get close and watch them crunch at the reef, but it's not like the tamed ones in places where they get hand fed. So much human interaction does indeed change the natural behaviour of marine life.

If this isn't your thing, that's ok. There's lots else to do.

I just find the thought icky:eek: although everyone else says it's great.

Then again, I didn't like chocolate melting cake either...

Wonder if I should try the stingrays? And why?

My wife and I did the submarine tour and wanted to do the helicopter tour but didn't have time for both. When we go back in April we're going to see if we can do the rum cake factory tour. We are also booking the onboard spa in the afternoon because they discount them when in port. That way we can avoid the crowds going back to the ship and we'll feel great to boot.

Walt

No problem, no one will force you to go on an excursion if you have no interest or have a strong aversion. It's a very personal preference. For example, speaking of preferences, you can have all my lobster anytime in the dining room--no appeal here.

Personally, since I have several cats and dogs, the swarming effect is pretty much second nature at feeding time, so that wasn't a shock. And I was quite impressed with the 'rays upclose and personal.

I hope your trip provides you with something you will truly appreciate and enjoy!

We've been twice. I love it, my family (two daughters and my husband) doesn't care for it. The first time all four of us got in. My husband got out maybe 5 minutes later. He was there for a picture and then got out. My girls stayed in with me, but they were nervous.

The second time we went (only one daughter was with us), I was the only one to get in and swim with them. My husband jumped in the water to cool off, but got right out. My daughter (14 at the time) stayed on the boat and sunbathed.

If you go on a catamaran you can just stay on the boat and enjoy the day and get in only if you want to. My husband and daughter enjoy relaxing on the catamarans. When stingray aren't around, my daughter will snorkle.

I just find the thought icky:eek: although everyone else says it's great.

My DW agrees with you. We made a deal - she will go with me on catamaran to Stingray city but won't get in, and I will go shopping with her the rest of the day.

Mike and Lorie

My hairdresser said it was a once in a lifetime experience, but when I tried to pin him down, all it really entailed was the chance to be at one with wild nature.

My family took a tour to stingray city through Native Way Watersports and it was a great experience. It was a lot more than a chance to be at one with wild nature. Our tour group was a group of 9 people so it was not a cattle call (though we did see a few boats overloaded with people). Our tour guides also made sure that we all had a few chances to interact with the stingrays - we got to touch, kiss, hold and get a back rub by the stingrays.

I think it was a great benefit of being with a smaller group. I saw other boatloads come in and the folks were pretty much left to their own devices. Whereas our tour guides took pictures for us and spoke to us about the stingrays biology and habits.

It does freak some people at first (including me) to be surrounded by these creatures, but in the end it was a great experience.

Our first time to GC we did the stingrays, turtles and Hel tour. I got into the water with the stingrays, but ended up hanging onto DH or my father half the time. Those darn stingrays sneak up on you, really should put bells on them. I turn around or try to put my foot down, and one was around all the time.

And I'm not joking, I don't think I'd ever do this tour again. The rest of our party really enjoyed it though.

Archived