Difficult decision between Celebrity and Hal!

bickee

Overall, I prefer HAL, with a couple of exceptions:

First.....In the main dining room, if you ask your server for something that is not on that nights menu, they politely tell you it's not available or that you have to give them a days notice ahead for it. On Celebrity, they happily bring it, if at all possible.

Second...If you ask at the front desk for a tour of the bridge, they will give you a line about since 911, no longer done for security reasons.

On Celebrity they ask you to make a written request to the Captain, which they forward, and later on you find a nice invitation for a tour at a specified time and place.

Hi All,

We're just back from a cruise on the Eurodam - 11/7-11/14. We are booked on Celebrity's Eclipse in July, in Aqua Class. After some disappointments on HAL in the past, we thought we'd give them another try on the Eurodam, mainly for the itinerary and new ship.

We purchased the Thermal Suite weekly pass for two at $250, which gave us access to the relaxation room, the thermal suite with heated loungers and steam rooms, and the hydrotherapy pool. My husband loved it, but I think it was wasted on me, I only used it twice.

We thought the cabin (verandah, not deluxe verandah) was the smallest cabin we'd ever had on an ocean-going ship. It was the same size as our cabin on the Viking ship on the Yangtze river.

Consensus among most of our dinner companions (we opted for AYWD, which was great) was that food quality has deteriorated in the past few years. Especially irritating was the lack of trays in the Lido; several people commented on it. I don't know how people with little kids managed. If we wanted a salad and entree, we had to go back to the line. The plates in the pizza restaurant were so hot that you couldn't hold them with bare hands, most people took a stack of napkins as hot pads. I have no idea what is behind the "no tray" policy, but it definitely irritated people.

Entertainment was mediocre, we went to two shows and decided not to waste anymore time. Disappointing, because we've always gone to the shows in the past.

The public areas of the ship are beautiful, but the cabins are boring beige. The mirrors are very darkly tinted, both over the bed and above the tiny desk. They really aren't usable as mirrors and give an aura of gloom, rather than spaciousness. The verandahs are good-sized, but the rooms are smaller than other cabins on other ships in the same class.

Service and friendliness of the staff are amazing; our complaint has always been with the front office and corporate offices. My father was injured on the Veendam in January when he cut his foot severely on broken tiles in the swimming pool. Despite a letter to their corporate offices, we still haven't received an apology of any kind. Shame on them. Are they seriously afraid we would sue?

We had considered both the Eurodam and Celebrity for our cruise to northern Europe next year; after our experience this past week (overall very positive), we are very glad we chose the Eclipse. When we filled out the survey on Friday, I had to admit that I WOULDN'T recommend HAL to family or friends. We are definitely now Celebrity fans (Constellation CC), although we've given HAL more business.

I think it's a very personal choice, and I hope you choose the best option for you. BTW, we're 49 & 56, and are definitely amongst the youngsters on HAL.

Julie

Always hard to tell when one is comparing cruiselines which ships and which classes are being compared. If a Celebrity ship like the Eclipse at almost 3000 passengers is compared to a HAL ship like the Maasdasm, how can there really be comparisons.

Personally I would hate to be just one of 3000 passengers trying to get on and off a ship during port calls regardless of the level of extra amenities the scale of a much larger ship would offer.

I do like the smaller, more intimate feeling of the HAL ships even though theirs are growing larger and more cumbersome as well. Overwhelming a port with sheer bulk and size of crowds does have an impact on one's overall travel experiences. Let alone where one might end up having to dock with the larger ships.

We really like HAL--but since you are pregnant I would pick Celebrity because of their smoking policy.

Both lines are very nice but it sounds like Celebrity will be a good match for you--plus you will not have to be concerned with second hand smoke on your balcony or in the hallways to your room.

If you were not pregnant it would be simply an itinerary choice.

I'm no expert but be sure to check what spa and thermal features your doctor allows during pregnancy.

You have a very tough choice. I would pick HAL unless getting a balcony then I would go Celebrity because of the smoking policy.

Yes I would probably just use the heated chairs and the showers. But honestly...I've been known to spend a LOT of time in those heated loungers!!! :)

The smoking policy is a good point as well, but I have had many balconies on Princess and Royal and never had a problem with smoke. Probably luck of the draw.

I don't know if someone already mentioned this, but I like that we can buy wine and bring it on the ship. Particularly in Europe. It is nice to be able to enjoy it in the cabin or veranda, without having to bring it from a bar or room service. Celebrity doesn't allow this.

I thought the food on Prinsendam was far superior to that on Constellation. The people who sail on HAL seem to be much friendlier than those on Celebrity. The cabins being larger is also a plus. Celebrity just doesn't impress me as it has in the past.

I'm still trying to figure out how the OP is disregarding the guidelines for cruising while pregnant.

What specific guideline is she disregarding?:confused:

I can only think that the person who keeps saying is - is reading the booklet I received from my doctor back in the dark ages about what could be done while pregnant -- ie. nothing. Needless to say many babies have been born after mothers took cruises -- a lot of them 9 months later to be sure :D -- but about the only thing on a cruise that the OP might find that she doesn't have readily available at home is ziplining on an excursion -- so unless she is planning on that ....

Pregnancy is not a terminal illness = enjoy life -- have fun. :D

I can only think that the person who keeps saying is - is reading the booklet I received from my doctor back in the dark ages about what could be done while pregnant -- ie. nothing. Needless to say many babies have been born after mothers took cruises -- a lot of them 9 months later to be sure :D -- but about the only thing on a cruise that the OP might find that she doesn't have readily available at home is ziplining on an excursion -- so unless she is planning on that ....

Pregnancy is not a terminal illness = enjoy life -- have fun. :D

Thanks, I'm pretty sure the baby won't be affected my me laying in a lounge chair for 8 hours a day. Or he/she might enjoy it a little TOO much...spoiled! :)

List of pregnancy guidelines for various cruise lines and reasons why this condition may be of concern:

http://www.*****.com/preg-infant.cfm

http://www.babycenter.com/0_traveling-by-cruise-ship-when-pregnant_6973.bc

Yes you're right, ***** is a much better source of info then my doctor/midwife. MOVE ON!

Yes I would probably just use the heated chairs and the showers. But honestly...I've been known to spend a LOT of time in those heated loungers!!! :)

The smoking policy is a good point as well, but I have had many balconies on Princess and Royal and never had a problem with smoke. Probably luck of the draw.

Those loungers were what I was bit concerned about. I have been told at times that doctors do NOT recommend getting your body core heated for longer periods of time when pregnant. If your doctor, says no problem, enjoy!

We've sailed on both lines and prefer HAL. The only thing that was somewhat better on Celebrity was the food in the MDR. Otherwise, the service was much better on HAL in all areas. Also liked our HAL balcony cabin much better. We haven't booked a spa cabin on either so can't comment there. Have a great cruise, whichever one you choose :)

Yes you're right, ***** is a much better source of info then my doctor/midwife. MOVE ON!

Cruise ship policies are not a "source of information" presented to be a dispute between you and your doctor . They are their stated regulations regarding pregnancies and limitations they put on pregnant passengers after 23-27 weeks gestation. Poster asked what the guidelines were. This was a handy resource to provide in response to those queries. It was good information.

Cruise ship policies are not a "source of information" presented to be a dispute between you and your doctor . They are their stated regulations regarding pregnancies and limitations they put on pregnant passengers after 23-27 weeks gestation. Poster asked what the guidelines were. This was a handy resource to provide in response to those queries. It was good information.

I do believe she was being sarcastic that the sites you provided were better than what she had already been told by her ob/midwife.

To SwissMyst:

Ok for the last time and then I ignore your future posts.

I never asked for the guidelines.

I am not cruising past 24 weeks.

My doctor thinks it's fine.

It's none of your business.

Back to the HAL helpfuls!

Bickee....

Ignore any comments regarding number of passengers on Solstice class ships.

I can attest that after spending 11 days on Solstice if you told me that the ship was sold out with 2850 passengers on board I would have said: "Where were they?"

Have a great cruise.

Ziggy

I do believe she was being sarcastic that the sites you provided were better than what she had already been told by her ob/midwife.

Her sarcasm was noted in my reply. It was not missed. Her midwife does not trump ship policy, so the sarcasm was unnecessary here though she may like to pass it on to the powers that be. Unless of course cruise line pregnancy policies are just guidelines and not strictly enforced, just like formal nights ---- but (sarcastically) we don't need to go there again. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by usha

I'm still trying to figure out how the OP is disregarding the guidelines for cruising while pregnant.

What specific guideline is she disregarding?

//////I believe the OP stated she didn't care what the ship guidelines were in her early post and indeed put her pregnancy at issue in this thread.

It was interesting to learn there are guidelines and that they differ from one cuise line to the next. And more importantly why cruise lines do have these guidelines/policies.

Should be a separate thread and not made so personal on this one. Particularly if cruise lines are interested in attracting younger passengers.

Archived