Question about door hinges... no joke.

DoctorFeelgood

I've seen LOTS of amazing subjects, interesting subject, unusual subjects, and esoteric subjects on Cruise Critics ... but NEVER have I EVER seen one about the pins and hinges on our cruise-ship stateroom doors. :D

Methinks some of us need to get aboard a cruise ship ... and FAST. :eek: ;) :D

I love it.

Ok.. OK... You convinced me... I'll get aboard Thursday and stay there for 3 1/2 months... just because you think I should...while I'm at it, I'll check out the hinges and pins on the Prinsendam.:D

Grumpy

Saltydog..great story...

Doctor....You should meet my DH...On our last cruise he was counting the screws..bolts.. rivets etc out on our balcony and trying to decide in what order they must be installed on the partitions to engineer all the complicated fittings and align them properly. His logical mind cannot rest until he sorts out all that "stuff". It got so I was tired of having "the discussion" about it every time I walked out there. Once a nerd always a nerd!

Good for you for noticing...

I've seen LOTS of amazing subjects, interesting subject, unusual subjects, and esoteric subjects on Cruise Critics ... but NEVER have I EVER seen one about the pins and hinges on our cruise-ship stateroom doors.

Well, so far we haven't heard about the cruise with all the unruly hinges, which pins are the best or how to "lift" a pin to keep as a souvenir!

I have a "hinge" incident that might have been a federal crime. About 25 years ago, I flew into a small airport in North Carolina with our local company serviceman in his small 2-seat airplane. Since this was a quick service call, for some reason we left our suitcases in the airport FAA office. When we returned later that night, the FAA office was closed.

Since we needed our luggage before going to the hotel, we knocked the hinge pins out of the door to the FAA office and got our luggage; then quietly tapped them back in place.

None of my architect buddies have a clue why the hinges are not symmetrical. I feel some personal "field work" is in order. Time to book another cruise.

.... on the ship, every door has the "middle" hinge NOT in the middle.. it's usually about 2/3 of the way up the door.

Well here is a thought!!!!!

I have been sitting here over the holiday period and offer this as a suggestion.

Just about all doors on cruise ships have door closers fitted .When working correctly they shut the door quicklly ,but ease up at the final closure point ,to shut the door in silence.

Perhaps the hinges are placed higher to cope with the stress!!!!!!!!!!

OK when the closers are properly maintained..........

But how many cruise ships have you been on when the doors slam???????

So far my architectural friends have only come up with one idea: it could be due to backing in either the door or the frame. (like there could be something else at the center point that would interfere with the installation of the hinges.)

I have it on good authority ...

The closing mechanism operates off a diaphramis valve. There's a knickling pin that holds the eccentric into position next to the kenuter. If it's in the center of the door, the pin jib gets in the way of the claw blade.

:D

The closing mechanism operates off a diaphramis valve. There's a knickling pin that holds the eccentric into position next to the kenuter. If it's in the center of the door, the pin jib gets in the way of the claw blade.

Thanks Jim,

I stand by my previous explanation.;)

Are they still using jibs on their knickling pins? That's so last century!

:) -dave

We really need Sail7Seas to check with the "right people" and get the straight story on this...:D , but I'm thinkin' that if the door were divided into equal masses on either side of the center hinge, they would set up a sympathetic resonance with the engine vibrations and shake the whole ship apart. Moving the hinge off center allows one mass to dampen the vibrations of the other.:confused: No I don't have an engineering degree, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express...

Grumpy

I wou8ld have to agree with that 100%

No I am not an engineer, but I play one on TV :)

Actually, the upper hinge is in tension (pulling) and the bottom hinge is in compression (pushing) against the door frame due to the weight of the door. My guess is that some marine engineer calculated the exact placement of the middle hinge to balance the tension versus compression.

I've seen LOTS of amazing subjects, interesting subject, unusual subjects, and esoteric subjects on Cruise Critics ... but NEVER have I EVER seen one about the pins and hinges on our cruise-ship stateroom doors. :D

Methinks some of us need to get aboard a cruise ship ... and FAST. :eek: ;) :D

I love it.

I was just emailing Heather about the topic selection on the HAL boards lately and low and behold... I find this.

I mean no offense Dr., but we know it is a slow day on the HAL threads when we start trying to figure out the door hinges... :D

Does anyone have any idea of a new thread that will get things hopping?

My beverages on board posting has started hopping ... somewhat. The problem is, if the hopping is too high, it soon turns into a gallop and then becomes a malestrom! ;)

I don't think anything will ever top the historic blender thread!

I can't believe this thread is still breathing ... let alone reached page 205But I do have to say that if the day comes that I start noticing the hinges on the doors on cruiseships, I'll know it's time for a different kind of vacation.02

You mean it'll be a sign you've become "unhinged"? :rolleyes:

-dave

I would like to know why, on formal night, my wife has to carry a purse that is so small that nothing will fit in it, and I have to keep half of her stuff in my coat pocket. I someone has an explanation for that, I will just live with the uneven door hinges.

You actually made me laugh, Dave ... which is amazing considering I was shaking earlier. Thanks.:D

Hmmm, it would seem that the offending post in question has been removed. As well as one of mine in reply, but I can live with it...

:rolleyes: -dave

Archived