Another off the wall question -- Gifts for harbor pilot?

DoctorFeelgood

So...

I'm on our fantastically huge balcony (S5186) as the ship is about to leave the first port of call when I notice a vehicle pull up carrying the man who was identified to me as the harbor pilot. He is greeted by a HAL officer of some sort who was carrying a plastic bag that had the heft of a couple of bottles of liquor. The harbor pilot accepted the bag and brought it back to his vehicle. Then he boarded the ship and the gangplank was hauled in.

On another port of call (Key West), the process was repeated, except this time it was what I think looked like a rather hefty styrofoam cooler.

In Honduras, it was another bag.

Now, I know that passengers are vehemently prohibited from bringing anything like food or alcohol on or off the ship... so what exactly are these exchanges? It is some kind of nautical tradition?

That was probably the Port Agent, taking off the letters/postcards that pax have dropped in the Mail slot, and office mail that is to be sent to Seattle. He probably also has mail for crew members on other HAL ships which will be arriving in the same port later in the week.

The Harbour Pilot arrives in a boat clearly marked "PILOT".

I doubt that the port agent would stay on the ship after the gangway is lifted on board.

At a guess, some cruise ship officers would get to know the pilots in some harbours quite well over the years, as the ships come back to the same ports time and time again - weekly in many cases. You'd expect friends to exchange stuff obtained on their travels (although perhaps one shouldn't inquire too deeply into where a couple of bottles of booze might have been obtained from :))

I doubt that the port agent would stay on the ship after the gangway is lifted on board.

Agreed. WE always identify the port agent as the only person walking back and forth on the dock with a jacket and tie on. As the ship moves away from the mooring, he walks back to his car, stands next to it as the boat leaves the harbor, then gets in and drives away. Unless, of course, some pax has missed the sailing, in which case the agent sits in his car until they return!

The Harbour Pilot arrives in a boat clearly marked "PILOT".

When boarding the ship before bringing it into the harbor. But when the ship goes out, he only needs the pilot boat to get off.

Let's just hope we don't soon see a "service charge" to toke the shoreside participants in our cruise! :rolleyes:

Archived