After winning priceline bid - confirm with hotel needed?

jasper19

HI

I just won an excellent bid on Priceline for our Coral pre-cruise (San Pedro) stay December 6th. Do I need to confirm the reservation with hotel?

Has anyone ever had a problem with the reservation not being at the hotel?

I have printed the confirmation...is that all I need when we show up at the Doubletree?

Thanks!

HI

I just won an excellent bid on Priceline for our Coral pre-cruise (San Pedro) stay December 6th. Do I need to confirm the reservation with hotel?

Has anyone ever had a problem with the reservation not being at the hotel?

I have printed the confirmation...is that all I need when we show up at the Doubletree?

Thanks!

I've never had a problem with them seeing my res. Take the confirmation with you for backup.

jiffymom:

My bid of $55 (yes $55) was accepted for the Doubletree San Pedro on November 5 for a one night stay December 6. I kept trying every day for about a month and maybe William Shatner was tired of me trying and wanted to get me off his back so he accepted a really low offer just to make me go away!!!

My husband wonders if we will be in the laundry room for that price!! That is why I was wondering if I should confirm.

I am pretty happy!! By the sounds of things I should call them a couple days before to be sure they have our reservation. It is only for one night and we are preparing for a cruise...so it can't be that bad!

I would call if you have any preferences.

We booked thru Priceline in Feb of this year for our cruise in May. I didn't call to confirm and when we showed up at the Crowne Plaza they gave us a room with a double bed in the smoking section.

I had to beg and plead for ANYTHING in the non-smoking area. Technically my confirmation was for two adults in a double room. I guess that meant a double bed.

I've booked through PL again for next Feb. Immediately after booking I called the CP and got a really nice person on the phone. I told him we would be arriving early (before check-in time) and would like a non-smoking room. He has noted our reservation and tells me if they can accommodate us, they will put us in our room as soon as we arrive.

I feel MUCH better about it this time around.

We used PL for the Crowne Plaza. I called about a week after and they had us down for a double. I requested a King and that was changed. However, when I requested a non smoking they stated that it was a first come first served basis but she put it in for me as a request. I'll call a day or so before arrival to confirm also.

The only other thing I request is a low floor on the high rise hotels. I guess that is my upbringing as a firefighters daughter!

Can someone explain the Priceline rules for me. I know you put in a bid and they either accept or decline your bid, but do they come back with a price for you, and if they do accept your bid, are you required to take it?

but do they come back with a price for you

No. In some cases, they will suggest a higher price that 'is likely to be accepted' and let you re-bid, but that's infrequent. Also, you can only bid on a specific combination once each 24 hours as an encouragement to not bid too low, as you have to wait another day before you can raise your offer and try again.

if they do accept your bid, are you required to take it?

You don't have to take the room, but they do charge your card straightaway, so it will cost you if you don't.

We use priceline a LOT (about 40 - 45 days/year), and have taken to faxing or emailing the hotel, rather than calling. We then have paperwork to back up what we've been told when we've made special requests (like others, non-smoking, king bed or 2 doubles, sometimes early or late arrivals). Normally there hasn't been a problem, but occasionally the front desk staff try to insist that we can't have the room type we've requested, and having a paper trail has helped.

We also take a few minutes to enroll in the hotel's reward program. While you can't collect points on an online booking, there are perks you might receive - priority check-in, for example. And we find it has made it easier to get any special requests, if we put our rewards program number at the top of the email or fax.

Archived