Checking your luggage and hiding drinks

chefchristopher

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I will be going on our first cruise at the end of this week and I had a few questions about bringing your luggage on to the ship and how thoroughly it is checked.

We will be traveling on the Carnival Elation (if that matters).

I have read that a lot of people will bring a six pack of soda, or maybe a few extra bottles of wine/champagne. What I'm wondering is if we need to really try and hide this stuff if we decide to bring it on or if we can just have it in our luggage. Is your luggage actually looked through, or just ran through scanned for bombs and swords?

We are not big soda drinkers but we thought it would save us a few bucks just to pack a 6 pack and maybe a bottle of our favorite adult beverage, and I don't want to cause any problems on our first cruise!

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I will be going on our first cruise at the end of this week and I had a few questions about bringing your luggage on to the ship and how thoroughly it is checked.

We will be traveling on the Carnival Elation (if that matters).

I have read that a lot of people will bring a six pack of soda, or maybe a few extra bottles of wine/champagne. What I'm wondering is if we need to really try and hide this stuff if we decide to bring it on or if we can just have it in our luggage. Is your luggage actually looked through, or just ran through scanned for bombs and swords?

We are not big soda drinkers but we thought it would save us a few bucks just to pack a 6 pack and maybe a bottle of our favorite adult beverage, and I don't want to cause any problems on our first cruise!

Thanks

Usually people will carry on sodas and water, things that are legal, but you need to put any additional wine bottles or hard liquor in your checked luggage, but it doesn't necessarily need to be really hidden, just wrapped well in case of breakage. They do x-ray checked luggage, but just don't have the time to deal with all the bottles, they're looking for weapons, anything dangerous, etc.

I just packed a 12 pack of diet Coke with lime, an 18 pack of bottled water, and some bottles of apple juice for my cruise on Saturday. Most people suggest putting it in a box with a luggage tag, but I have a hard sided carry on to put it in.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was worried because I watched this documentary type thing on the cruise industry and they showed people getting tons of alcohol confiscated and this huge room with all the booze in it. I was thinking they must be checking the bags VERY thoroughly.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was worried because I watched this documentary type thing on the cruise industry and they showed people getting tons of alcohol confiscated and this huge room with all the booze in it. I was thinking they must be checking the bags VERY thoroughly.

If you're cruising during "peak times" -- like spring break, for example -- they will check more thoroughly. And if you "look suspicious", they'll be sure to check.

Just don't come back here complaining that you were caught, had to go to the "naughty room" (that huge room with all the booze in it) and had to spend time explaining yourself, then claiming your booze back when the cruise was over! If you want to break the rules (or guidelines) and bring on booze, be prepared to get caught. If you're not, great. If you are, it's your responsibility! :cool:

I just packed a 12 pack of diet Coke with lime, an 18 pack of bottled water, and some bottles of apple juice for my cruise on Saturday. Most people suggest putting it in a box with a luggage tag, but I have a hard sided carry on to put it in.

hey phellow phillies phan! we're cruising with yoU!

Some of the other cruise lines are tighter, but Carnival is relatively lax and would only confiscate in extreme situations. But they have put restrictions on cooler sizes that can be carried on, used to be people would roll big one on board full of sodas, water, (hiding liquor maybe), etc.

Archived