charleston

nicholasis1

Our first stop is charleston, we are only taking the excursion with the carriage ride. I had read someplace on here that everything is within walking distance of the ship when we dock? can anyone give us some pointers on what to see once we take the hour long carriage ride? Thanks

Our first stop is charleston, we are only taking the excursion with the carriage ride. I had read someplace on here that everything is within walking distance of the ship when we dock? can anyone give us some pointers on what to see once we take the hour long carriage ride? Thanks

We love a restaurant there called Fleet's Landing. Very good shrimp in a basket. Have fun!

Jan in Mi

Take a boat ride out to Ft. Sumter....Also, the marketplace in the center of town...

Did you book a carriage tour through the ship? I ask because carriage rides are more than plentiful, so there is no need to reserve a spot in advance, particularly with the increased price you would pay for booking through the ship.

The market is a nice way to pass the time. If you like history at all the Fort Sumpter tours are cool. There are a few ferries over each day.

I live in Charleston. Yes, everything that you probably want to see is within walking distance of the ship. I would wear comfortable shoes because you will probably do a good bit of walking... The best way to do a carriage ride is to book through the company, not the cruise ship. You will save money that way and it is the same thing. Old South, Old Towne, and Palmetto are all good companies that take care of their horses. They all have websites. I would do a little research with each of them to see what tour you would be interested in.

Personally, I think the best way to see Charleston is by foot. I would suggest leaving the ship and heading up East Bay St. It will take you all the way to the Battery. You will pass shops, art galleries, the famous Rainbow Row,original cobble stone streets, etc. along the way. Once you get to the Battery, walk around and look at all the monuments and the harbor. Very pretty homes around that area. Then, I would head down Meeting St. or King St. Meeting St. will take you by more beautiful homes and some shops. Or, go down King St. This is considered our "shopping district." Tons of antique stores, boutiques and such along the way.

One of the best things to visit is the Charleston churches. They are all so beautiful! Try to find some that are open and you can walk in to see the inside. Also, the graveyards are really cool too. It is amazing to see some of the dates on the tombstones!

On the way back to the ship, I would walk through the Market. You can pick up sweet grass baskets, silver Charleston charms, and such. It is usually very crowded so it takes a while to get from one end to the other.

I personally don't like Fleet Landing restaurant. It is near the port so that is a good thing. I would also stay away from Hymans. Both, to me, are too touristy. But, that is what you are so you may enjoy them! I guess I just look at it different because I live here. If you will be here for dinner, I would suggest Hank's Seafood. If you want seafood for lunch, my suggestion is AW Shucks. It is a Charleston staple with fried seafood and a raw bar. If you would rather have a salad or something, I would do Blossoms or Cru Cafe. Really, you can't go wrong with food in Charleston. It is SO awesome! I would definitely stay away from the chain restaurants because you can get that stuff anywhere and they don't use local seafood.

If you want to stop for a drink somewhere, I would go to the top of the Library at Vendue or the Market Pavillion Hotel. They are both off East Bay St. and give great views of the city and harbor from above.

Here is the link to our visitor center map:

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/pdf/chaspenmap.pdf

It is hard to get lost in Charleston... If I were you, I would walk down side streets and alley ways and peak in garden gates and stuff. There are some beautiful homes that are tucked away from the main streets. Or, walk towards the College of Charleston campus and check out the Cistern. It is absolutely beautiful!

Anything South of Calhoun Street is wonderful! I wouldn't go north of Calhoun St. It is completely safe, but the stuff you want to see is closer to the harbor than that. Put on your walking shoes, try to get lost (with a map!), and enjoy the city!

We have visited Charleston 3 times on land vacations as it is truly a gem. I would do as the resident of Charleston says and just get the info about the city and walk it! It is so beautiful with many wonderful places to visit. I won't mention the fantastic restaurants as you won't be able to hit them all! They have great walking tours too that you can book on your own. My dh chose a Civil War tour on one of our visits, which I thought would be "boring" for me. Boy was I wrong. Sooo interesting and the guide made history come alive. Visiting the Aircraft carrier is also very cool. There is so much you'll really have to pick and choose.

FOr sure do the carriage ride on your own. Cancel your ship booked one, if indeed that is what you did. It is more fun to hand pick your driver and to go on your own schedule, not the ship's. Plus you will save money.

Archived