Westerdam Caribbean Review B2B

pjs9876

On a lighter note, pjs, I'm fiendishly jealous that you are 57 and your husband is 46. No wonder you purred over your lobster and escargot!;)

Heather you made my night!! :D I really did marry a wonderful man nine years after divorcing. We are now on year 11 and going strong.

PJ

Thanks for your review on your recent back to back sailing on the Westerdam PJS9876. I sailed on the Westerdam a few years back (2005) and still recall that sailing because of all the wonderful people that I met, the ports that we visited and the sea rescue!

If anyone read my reviews and comments, they call tell that I'm a big HAL cheerleader (it's my fave cruiseline :D), but I know that there are times when things are not so peachy on each sailing. Sometimes these things are minor and others are major. Also, somethings are not nitpicking but just an expectation of service that HAL place it's claim on or what others have reported on their sailings. We need to hear both good,the ok and the bad on each review.

I only hope that you give HAL another chance on another ship. While I don't have sailings on but two other cruiselines, I still consider HAL overall the best that I ever sailed with.

----------------

Now playing: Steve Oliver - Chips and Salsa

via FoxyTunes

A very discouraging review from the OP and a couple of others as I look forward to our March cruise on the Westerdam. Still, I do see you were very happy with some things so I'll look on the bright side.

I didn't know the croissants are history and if that's true it just may be my biggest disappointment. One of the highpoints (for me) of a HAL cruise are the chocolate croissants. Oh wait! Now I see mrsltg says they do have the croissants ... phew :D

They definitely had croissants, Heather - chocolate and regular. Both were delicious!!! One morning we had room service breakfast on our verandah. I sat and watched Grand Turk come into view while eating croissants and drinking coffee. Honestly, what could be better?????

One small difference I realized after reading PJs review - we ate on the starboard side of the Lido every morning. Andi, the coffee man, kept our cups full during our entire visit. I wonder if the staff on the port side of the Lido was not as good or if I was just lucky? I always went to the port side regardless of the meal so I am wondering if this was the case?

I also like the cougar reference... too funny!

The cougar references are so funny. I might have been 11 years ago but both of us have packed on the pounds (not just a little either!) in the years since. His hair and beard have been turning gray while mine just happens to become red about every 6 weeks!:rolleyes:

We did port side every time in Lido. Wow! We could have gotten coffee sitting down on the other side?? :eek:

We were on this sailing also, the first week........we enjoyed this cruise as much as any we have taken.....the food in the main dinning room was very good and our dinning room stewards were the best we have ever had, Dolly(male) was always smiling and talking............our room stewards, Jerrell and Poni were always close by if we needed anything and were about the two nicest room stewards we have ever had and always did a great job on the cabin.........we loved the new ports of call for us, Aruba and Curacao and would go back to them anytime.....and of course HMC is always the best stop on any cruise..........we met and became new friends with many of the people from our roll call and pjs and her DH are two of the ones we met and we really enjoyed our time with them and have to say that Halloween was a very big success and a great party and was surprised at just how many people came in costume......PJ and JB, y'all looked great in your costumes.........we are very satisfied with the HAL product and we will continue to sail with HAL and other cruise lines....we feel that all cruise lines have a little different product to offer and we enjoy the variety that each have.......and after saying all of this, I do believe that if you like HAL, you will not be disappointed with the Westerdam........we love the HAL bedding so much, that after we returned home we ordered a set of the HAL sheets for our bed and last night was the first night to sleep on them.....I felt like I was still on a cruise.

We were on this sailing also, the first week........we enjoyed this cruise as much as any we have taken.....the food in the main dinning room was very good and our dinning room stewards were the best we have ever had, Dolly(male) was always smiling and talking............our room stewards, Jerrell and Poni were always close by if we needed anything and were about the two nicest room stewards we have ever had and always did a great job on the cabin.........we loved the new ports of call for us, Aruba and Curacao and would go back to them anytime.....and of course HMC is always the best stop on any cruise..........we met and became new friends with many of the people from our roll call and pjs and her DH are two of the ones we met and we really enjoyed our time with them and have to say that Halloween was a very big success and a great party and was surprised at just how many people came in costume......PJ and JB, y'all looked great in your costumes.........we are very satisfied with the HAL product and we will continue to sail with HAL and other cruise lines....we feel that all cruise lines have a little different product to offer and we enjoy the variety that each have.......and after saying all of this, I do believe that if you like HAL, you will not be disappointed with the Westerdam........we love the HAL bedding so much, that after we returned home we ordered a set of the HAL sheets for our bed and last night was the first night to sleep on them.....I felt like I was still on a cruise.

Hi Steve and Sherri-Or should I say Flash and La Lady? They posted the pictures of Halloween after I asked. Lots of 2nd week cruisers were doing a double take while looking at your photos. Both of ya'll were so cute.

We ordered the bathrobes. JB loved the weight. Due to Phil and Jan we also won Dam Hats. My mother broke her arm several years ago and I sent her a teddy bear with a wrapped up arm. That sparked a small collection. So on board we bought the singing, "Hot, hot, hot" bear to give to her!:rolleyes:

We will remember all the fun people we met on the cruise. I am grinning right now. Everyone should check out your photos and make sure you don't miss Halloween. :D Take care and happy sailing!

On a lighter note, pjs, I'm fiendishly jealous that you are 57 and your husband is 46. No wonder you purred over your lobster and escargot!;)

Heather you made my night!! :D I really did marry a wonderful man nine years after divorcing. We are now on year 11 and going strong.

PJ

I've got you all beat .... my wonderful hubby is 17 years younger than me :eek: (I just turned 62). We are celebrating our 18th anniversary on Nov. 30th even though some folks said it would never last ..... age is not an issue when you are linked by common interests and faith.

Connie

I love to read all the reviews, good and bad alike. It is good to see an enjoyable one of my favorite HAL ship.

Joanie

I've got you all beat .... my wonderful hubby is 17 years younger than me :eek: (I just turned 62). We are celebrating our 18th anniversary on Nov. 30th even though some folks said it would never last ..... age is not an issue when you are linked by common interests and faith.

Connie

You go girl!!! :D

A very discouraging review from the OP and a couple of others as I look forward to our March cruise on the Westerdam. Still, I do see you were very happy with some things so I'll look on the bright side.

I didn't know the croissants are history and if that's true it just may be my biggest disappointment. One of the highpoints (for me) of a HAL cruise are the chocolate croissants. Oh wait! Now I see mrsltg says they do have the croissants ... phew :D

Thanks to everyone who reviewed on this thread. I don't consider any comments nitpicking since that's what I look for in a review. Glossing over everything and just saying "it was great" or "it was lousy" doesn't help anyone. So thanks for nitpicking just a bit!!

They did have the chocolate croissants on the breakfast bar but I never saw the other croissants that they have always had.

Harlan

• 2 weeks later...

Dear PJS and Everyone:

I'm behind in my reading and didn't discover you'd written a review until today!! (I still haven't written mine or posted photos.) PJS & JB spread happiness wherever they went on Halloween night -- what a fun couple!

We were on the first week of the B2B trip. Pheelgood and I have been cruising since 1983 and this was our 13th cruise but our first with HAL.

We found the Westerdam's layout to be the easiest we've ever encountered. It is also the perfect sized ship, in our opinion.

PJS and the other reviews are full of great detail. I agree, that I enjoy reading what people liked and didn't like about everything.

Unexpected pleasures on the Westerdam: 1) We've had balcony cabins on our last few cruises and this was our first time having a "partially obstructed view outside cabin." We were very pleased with the size of our stateroom and bathroom. We could see plenty of sky, ocean and lifeboats but were wowed that the windows were the size of sliding doors -- we expected a small rectangle. 2) The cold washcloths upon returning to the ship!! We had the luxury on the Celebrity Solstice in Nov 2008 and didn't expect this nice touch.

The only thing we felt "let down" about was the "Attentive Service" which HAL and other HAL-cruisers boast about. Please do not read this as a complaint. We had such high expectations about this aspect of HAL that we expected to see an "above and beyond" difference from the other cruise lines. In all honesty, we did not see or feel it. We have had fabulous attentive service with RCI, Princess, Celebrity & Carnival.

We selected open seating dining because of the flexibility. However, we do miss not having the same waiter and asst waiter who quickly learns our habits. So, the trade-off with open seating is that the service with some lunches and dinners were better than others.

Dinner the first evening with Sanibel*gal and her DH, we experienced a painfully slow and uneven meal service, but we were so happy to be on a cruise and dining with our dear friends that it didn't matter.

We would definately cruise with HAL again! We enjoyed meeting so many new friends through the Cruise Critic meet 'n' greet as well as being seated at a large table in the dining room at lunch or dinner.

Oh, by the way, I don't normally wear a hat but I am wearing my DAM SHIPS ballcap all over town!!!

Jan & Phil

HappyJan & Pheelgood

Archived