What can I do in FLL a few hours prior to boarding

Jods00

We are taking a red eye and will get into Fort Lauderdale@ 6:30. What should we do to pass time before we can board.

By the time you get your luggage and such it should be around 8am or so. I would just go and have a nice long breakfast. You might even want to consider taking a room at an airport hotel to crash for a few hours. Boarding should start around 11-11:30.

I have never, ever been able to get more than a quick nap on a plane, no matter how long or how late the flight is. I would get a hotel room, see if you can Priceline a room and then call to let them know you won't be there until 7:30 am. A late check out and you will be able to sleep for at least 4 hours or so before boarding.

The only thing you miss by an early boarding is one buffet lunch and we don't miss that at all. But, starting out a vacation tired and grouchy, we will miss our whole first evening onboard.

We are taking a red eye and will get into Fort Lauderdale@ 6:30. What should we do to pass time before we can board.

We live in Florida and enjoy sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. The airport is close to the port as well as a nice upscale downtown area. We drove over last week to see RCCL Oasis of the Seas come in, as a matter of fact. Got a good rate at the 3.5 star Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd. The Las Olas Blvd. area has several nice hotels, tho. One of my favorites is the Rennaissance where I request a corner room overlooking the 17th St. Bridge. You could catch a few good hours sleep in a comfortable bed, awake to warm morning sunshine, open the drapes and look out on a whole harbour full of cruise ships! Next decision might be whether to enjoy room service or stretch your legs a bit and have a bite to eat at one of the lovely sidewalk cafes in the Las Olas area, or even shop a bit at the nice stores along the way. When you're ready to head to the ship it's just a short cab ride.

Enjoy!

Terry

I would just go to breakfast and head over to the pier around 10 or so. You could be one of the first ones on the ship! You have a bit of a wait, but they usually let you in the door around 11 or so, at least you'd be inside and have a seat and be some of the first to get on the ship. Perfect time to take pictures, before it gets crowded. That's what we like to do anyway.

Head across the street to the Hilton Marina Hotel. From there you can take the water taxi to downtown or you can just stay onboard. It is a cheap alternative to an organized tour and the captain will give you a narrated tour just as good as the more expensive tours. They usually point out the homes of all the rich and famous and give you a little history of each.

If you are lucky, you will catch a glimpse of a manatee like I did. It sat in the water looking at us while we waited for the taxi to arrive.

I vote for sleep at a hotel, too. When my bf and I got to our hotel in FLL for our cruise (we flew in the day before, but still) we laid down to take a nap and woke up the next morning at 9am!:eek: Thank God we woke up - I hadn't set an alarm or anything - but we had gotten up so early for our flight and if you live with us, the night before leaving on vacay is always a bit of running around, last minute packing (him, not me;)), rechecking documents - not very relaxing! Add to that the Dramamine I need to take to fly and we were out for about 15 hours! :p

I really believe our first night onboard was better because we were able to sleep so much the night before.

The least stressful plan would be land at 6:30 AM, claim your luggage then leave it with your airline's baggage services department (no charge/secure). Go to terminal 3, have a full service breakfast at Chili's2 before security (they open at 6:00 AM, many outlets don't open until 9:00 AM of later). When done with breakfast, reclaim your luggage from baggage sevices and cab to the port. (10-15 minutes, $12+)

Archived