Shore Excursion Tipping Question

LondonCalling2

On our recent cruise on the Navigator from Istanbul to Rome, I noticed a fairly high percentage of passengers tipping the shore excursion guides in US Dollars rather than the local currency (Euros in Malta and the three Italian ports or Turkish Lira in the two ports in Turkey).

I felt somewhat bad for the guides, as they would then have to make the effort to change dollars (relatively small amounts) to local currency.

Has anyone else noticed this and thought it seemed inconsiderate? I could understand, almost, if we were still in the era of a different currency in every country and the USD still being the "underground economy" currency of choice -- but those days are long gone in the Euro zone, and getting Euros is fairly simple from the ship or from an ATM at the airport.

Just curious what others have observed, and thoughts on this topic.

Londoncalling:

Those guides are used to getting lots of different currencies is my thought, especially for tips, people would unload what is left over from the last port, or give dollars. Better some than none. I have often noticed American $$'s in the hands of the guides when I get off the bus from excursions, as well as Euros. I think it has nothing to do with being rude on the part of the givers. Just easier.

On our recent cruise on the Navigator from Istanbul to Rome, I noticed a fairly high percentage of passengers tipping the shore excursion guides in US Dollars rather than the local currency (Euros in Malta and the three Italian ports or Turkish Lira in the two ports in Turkey).

I felt somewhat bad for the guides, as they would then have to make the effort to change dollars (relatively small amounts) to local currency.

Has anyone else noticed this and thought it seemed inconsiderate? I could understand, almost, if we were still in the era of a different currency in every country and the USD still being the "underground economy" currency of choice -- but those days are long gone in the Euro zone, and getting Euros is fairly simple from the ship or from an ATM at the airport.

Just curious what others have observed, and thoughts on this topic.

In recent years, it seems that American's forget that the USD is not the currency of choice throughout the world. I have seen people attempt to pay for items all over the world in USD. While I feel it is inconsiderate, perhaps it is done simply because some people do not know better. When we are in other countries, we read about their customs. . . . and, make sure we either obtain their currency in advance, or, simply go to an ATM and get the cash we need for tips and any other purchases we plan on making.

We are leaving for South Africa tomorrow and already know where the ATM is located in the airport. We have also learned that Nimibia accepts South African Rands which will make it even easier. Like you said -- the guides have to change their money into their own currency -- and they have to pay for the currency exchange.

While I agree something is better than nothing, I agree it would be more polite to tip in Euros in Europe than USD. I tipped in Euros when we were on our Monte Carlo to Athens this summer, but I got the sense that we were in the minority in that we were tipping at all. I wanted to tip in Saudi Ryals because I have found it difficult to exchange them, but I resisted the temptation.

At many ports of call we've hired a local driver or tour guide and they often name their price in USD. If they're wanting to be paid in dollars, I don't imagine they're upset at being tipped in dollars too. I don't know how this would be if you were taking one of the shore excursions arranged by the cruise line, but surely the drivers and guides know they're being hired to drive around busloads of mostly-American day trippers.

LondonCalling: I hope it's ok to ask a question here that's not relevant to your tipping question. I think, by the way, that the most courteous thing to do is tip in the currency of the country. I don't, however, think it's a necessity. My sense is that most people don't tip. If the guide is especially good, surely tipping in a less than appropriate currency is better than not tipping at all. In other words, I don't think it's an insult by any stretch of the imagination.

You mentioned Malta. I'd love to know which excursion you took and how well you liked it. And what other excursions you may have heard were quite good. I've been looking at the excursion list for Valletta, and I just go round in circles. (Our cruise is July.) I'm frustrated that we'll be in port on a Sunday-- which means we won't get to see the inside of The Co-Cathedral (and those Caravaggios!) St John (inside) was the one thing I knew for sure that I wanted to see. A real bummer.

Archived