Carry-on Rules Same?

Sorry if this is a silly question - just wanted to make sure -

We are driving to Galveston for our cruise. Are the carry-on rules the same for the ship as for the airlines? ie, 3 oz liquids in a quart size ziplock bag? I know they check all the baggage, so just didn't want any surprises.:eek:

No, the rules are different. You can put anything you want in your carry-on bag without restirctions to sizes of liquids. Only rules are you can't pack anything in your carry-on or checked bags that is on RC's banned items list. You can also have as many carry-ons as you want.

No, the rules are different. You can put anything you want in your carry-on bag without restirctions to sizes of liquids. Only rules are you can't pack anything in your carry-on or checked bags that is on RC's banned items list. You can also have as many carry-ons as you want.

Is there a size limit for the carry on?

Thankx

You can carry on whatever you like...liquids in any size container.

The rules for the airlines are so you can't mix up an explosive on the plane. You can check any size liquid on the airlines...they just don't want you to have access to them on the plane.

The same though process doesn't apply to ships---after all, you will eventually get all of your "liquids"....

Carry on gallons of shampoo, if you like!!!

Remember that your luggage may not get to your room until later in the evening so keep out what ever you might need in the carry on that you keep with you.

You won't be allowed to get back to your cabin until after 1 pm, so you will have to lug what ever you don't check with you.

Scanners are usually larger than the airport. (I have no first hand knowledge of Galston specifcally)

Airport ones have templates at the opening to limit the size to identify over size bags. You should be able to pack your normal rolling carry-on bags as fat a you want.

• 2 months later...

A couple of days ago I was poking around on RCCL's website in the "before you leave" section and it states that they have the same guidelines as the TSA for liquids, etc. I called a person at RCCL and they told me they DO have the same restrictions as the airlines, i.e. 3 oz. bottles in a quart baggie and also includes gels. They also told me that you are not allowed to bring any aerosol cans onboard such as hairspray.

I just don't think I can make out with 3 ounces of shampoo for 7 days! I also use gel deoderant. Is everything I use going to be a problem??? :eek:

Anybody have any suggestions or should I just pack what I want and need to use and hope for the best?

A couple of days ago I was poking around on RCCL's website in the "before you leave" section and it states that they have the same guidelines as the TSA for liquids' date=' etc. I called a person at RCCL and they told me they DO have the same restrictions as the airlines, i.e. 3 oz. bottles in a quart baggie and also includes gels. They also told me that you are not allowed to bring any aerosol cans onboard such as hairspray.

I just don't think I can make out with 3 ounces of shampoo for 7 days! I also use gel deoderant. Is everything I use going to be a problem??? :eek:

Anybody have any suggestions or should I just pack what I want and need to use and hope for the best?[/quote']

No, they don't.

The phone person was not correct.

Ignore it.

The people on Cruise Critic know much more than the "representatives" at RC's phone banks.

No, they don't.

The phone person was not correct.

Ignore it.

The people on Cruise Critic know much more than the "representatives" at RC's phone banks.

Great!! I'm gonna pack all the shampoo, water, soda, etc. that I want to pack and hope for the best. :D Now you know why I always come here and ask my questions. You guys are THE BEST.

Seriously the person on the phone was a dingbat. What difference would it make if you carried on 3 oz of liquid when you then had a gallon in your checked bag? Unlike on a plane, you have access to your liquids on the ship once you get all of your luggage.

Seriously the person on the phone was a dingbat. What difference would it make if you carried on 3 oz of liquid when you then had a gallon in your checked bag? Unlike on a plane, you have access to your liquids on the ship once you get all of your luggage.

Didn't make any sense at all to me either. That's why I come to the best source (Cruise Critic) for the answers.

Well, after some 16 cruises, and at the 4th port of the last one, my Swiss Army knife got pulled as I came back on board. Apparently it was fine to bring it on board, use it on board, but not to carry off and back on. apparently they got a number of them that day.

Was given a small receipt and told I could pick it up upon debarkation. As we went off, scanner told me I could pick up my knife. Asked where, and got "out there". Of course, there was no "out there". Not worth hassling over--

but sure didn't make any sense.

Archived