Port Canaveral Excursions w 7yo and 13yo

mikemcf31

RC is charging 99 bucks per adult for the Kennedy Space Center which seems outrageous. I know we can do it on our own and save, but not sure if it would be a fit for the 7yo. Plus, we just got back from the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC.

The 13yo wants to go to Universal, but that is an hour there and an hour back.

Any suggestions what to do? Very much appreciate any feedback. Leaving on EOS this Saturday....!

RC is charging 99 bucks per adult for the Kennedy Space Center which seems outrageous. I know we can do it on our own and save, but not sure if it would be a fit for the 7yo. Plus, we just got back from the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC.

The 13yo wants to go to Universal, but that is an hour there and an hour back.

Any suggestions what to do? Very much appreciate any feedback. Leaving on EOS this Saturday....!

If they enjoyed the Smithsonian... well certainly they would like this. My children were of that age the first time they went tand they LOVED IT.....Keep in mind that cruiseline shore tours are priced for profit as we all know. But also consider the tour, including transfers to the space center and what all the tour includes when comparing the actual costs compared to booking on your own.

Doing it on your own would be cheaper ($59 {$38 plus $21 for the UP Close add-on for adults and 13 year old} $43{$28 plus $15} for the 7 year old. That's about $220 plus cost of transportation. But make sure you make reservations for the "up close" part of the tour if you do it on your own. That tour regularly sells out and I'm sure Royal has a their Reservations in already. You would still get to see this visitors complex but not the close up view of the launch pad, the VAB, and other interesting stuff that's not included with general admission to the visitor center complex. As Far as Universal goes besides the hour there and back your looking at $73.00 per person for an on-line one park pass($79 at the gate) and the 7 and 13 year old are the same price as mom and dad. I would suggest a one day car rental and KSC on your own. KSC is easy to navigate to. Then if time permits you could hit the beach for a bit. Hope that Helps.

thanks for the suggestions. My son is bugging me to go to Universal. Last time we went there (June of 08) we all had a blast. Too bad the Harry Potter section is not opening until 2010... the kids (and wife and I) read all the books. So that is probably what we will wind up doing. I am just debating whether it is better to rent a car and go down there or use the RCCL shuttle..... Any other advise is appreciated. TIA

The problem you have with driving yourself is of course if you get caught up in heavy traffic or something and get back too late, you could miss the ship. On the excursion, that's not an issue plus the bus drivers know the area and can go around problems. Anytime we're going to be more than a few miles away, we always do a ship's excursion just in case. We took our kids to the Huntsville NASA (Space Camp location) when they were about 13 and 11 and we all had a good time. They're very similar from what I have seen. Since DH and I have been to Huntsville once and WDW 4 times (last Nov was the last time), we may do Universal. There was lots of road construction between WDW and PC last year also and I'm betting they're not done yet. It's about an hour drive regardless of whether you take the excursion or rent a car, but if you rent a car you need to factor in time to drop it off and get to the ship. PC is an easy port to navigate, but the number of ships departing that day can affect how easy and fast it is to get back and forth to the rental car and pier.

Archived