Why can't my TA grab a specific cabin?

We have a deposit on a RCCL cruise in late January. We booked a JS. All that was available 2 weeks ago was a side cabin.

I love rear facing cabins. I have been checking other sites and one is offering a JS on the same ship, same travel date, same floor, a rear facing JS on the Grandeur.

I found one 2 days ago and I called the travel agency. She was off for the day but another agent checked and informed me it was not available.

Just about 1/2 an hour ago I checked with another on line agency and the cabin is available.

Unfortunately, I can't call the TA (too late) and RC won't work with me.

What's up with that? Not with RCCL, but with the situation.

I did just e-mail her and hopefully she will go (beyond) the regular on line check within her agency and call and grab it for us, BUT, is that normal?

Or is the other agency "holding" that particular cabin?

and if so, can I just cancel my res with the current TA, as it's still 71 days out, so it's only a deposit at this point, get a full refund, and book with the other TA? (same price)

I would prefer not to go that way but if that's the only way to get the cabin, then?????

Just curious.....

We have a deposit on a RCCL cruise in late January. We booked a JS. All that was available 2 weeks ago was a side cabin.

I love rear facing cabins. I have been checking other sites and one is offering a JS on the same ship, same travel date, same floor, a rear facing JS on the Grandeur.

I found one 2 days ago and I called the travel agency. She was off for the day but another agent checked and informed me it was not available.

Just about 1/2 an hour ago I checked with another on line agency and the cabin is available.

I did just e-mail her and hopefully she will go (beyond) the regular on line check within her agency and call and grab it for us, BUT, is that normal?

and if so, can I just cancel my res with the current TA, as it's still 71 days out, so it's only a deposit at this point, get a full refund, and book with the other TA? (same price)

I would prefer not to go that way but if that's the only way to get the cabin, then?????

Just curious.....

I would guess that the online agency which you saw is holding the cabin.

Yes, you can do that, but your current TA may well charge a cancellation fee. You may want to find that out before you do anything. :)

It is also possible to "waitlist" a specific stateroom you are interested in.

The agency that says they have a specific stateroom you are in may be holding that particuliar stateroom within a "group booking" and therefore it is technically out of RCI's inventory of available staterooms (if they have deposited on staterooms within their group) and that since the stateroom you want is not in RCI's "sellable" inventory, your TA cannot get that stateroom.

Sure you can cancel with your TA and rebook with another TA, but beware that your TA may have a cancellation fee they charge and that despite getting your deposit refunded w/ or w/out a cancellation fee, you will then have to do a new replacement deposit while awaiting your initial refund.

Good Luck

good for you. :D If a cabin is showing up on line with any agency, then its available for anyone. The booking engines are all linked to royal Caribbeans inventory. If an agency is holding cabins to sell, then actually, they wont show up because the agency has taken them out of royal Caribbeans inventory. The agency has to advertise what cabins they have on hold on there own.

Many times if I will find a cabin I want to change to on RCL's site, so I will do a courtesy hold on that cabin & then get in touch with my TA...she has always been able to move me into the cabin of my choice..sometimes more than once...:D

Well, it's a happy ending....

We got the aft suite. Our TA just e-mailed me and she was able to switch the suites.

We're happy! :D

Glad it all worked out for you. Question, how many are in your party and how many does the cabin hold? Sometimes if you only have 2 people and the cabin can hold 3 or 4 they will not let you book it. Looking for that extra revenue! I've heard that the closer to the sail date the more lenient they are in those cases.

Another thing that can happen is if you go in and look at a cabin and just click on it that takes it out of inventory for a few minutes so the TA (or even RCL) will have to wait to try for it again. Same thing happens if I am working on a booking - I have to get out before they can access it for whatever reason.

Just glad you got it!

Glad it all worked out for you. Question, how many are in your party and how many does the cabin hold? Sometimes if you only have 2 people and the cabin can hold 3 or 4 they will not let you book it. Looking for that extra revenue! I've heard that the closer to the sail date the more lenient they are in those cases.

There are only 2 of us going, but I don't believe that was an issue in this case All we wanted was to switch locations. Both cabins can hold 4 and are the same category (JS).

I believe more of the preferred locations are opening up because it's almost time to make the final payment and some people just decided not to go. The cabins were held with a fully refundable deposits and it was either pay now or lose some of the deposit if they waited longer. 2 days earlier a cabin next to our "new" cabin was available but by the time I called the TA, it was gone again. This time our cabin became available in the middle of the night, I saw it, e-mailed my TA and she grab it first thing in the morning.

Just curious.....

Now you know why it is better to book directly with RCL and keep control of your reservation. You could have called RCL and made the necessary changes.

I would guess that the online agency which you saw is holding the cabin.

Urban legend. Agencies CANNOT hold a specific cabin for themselves without names on it and they CANNOT move that cabin to other names. One name MUST remain the same on name changes.

Unless you call Royal yourself on a general inquiry and they tell you a specific cabin is available or you access one of the on line agencies as noted below, I would not believe a thing you are being told. Now cabins do come and go on availability as options are taken and expire. Royal's web site and many on line agency web sites show up to the minute availability. Most of the ones with the little flashing buttons on the deck plan are current. See, amost agencies access a common, real time data base, and agents can actually see available cabins disappear from the database within seconds after they option or book them.

Answer to your problem, get a good travel agent with an agency with a back-up process. Don't throw away money and service by booking with the cruise line. Want to test this, ask retired agents if they book with the cruise lines or with a travel agent.

Archived