Carrying Stuff while on Excursions...

bhrm

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if someone can tell me if there's a solution for us crazy photographers who also want to do all the excursions but dragging along a dSLR camera around.

Are there storage lockers or solutions for the following places?

- Princess Cays

- Roatan

- Cozumel

- Grand Cayman

I'll be cruising this Saturday on the Crown....

I really want to bring my DSLR around but I do have a point and shoot as well. Wondering if there's another fellow cruisers who's experience this as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if someone can tell me if there's a solution for us crazy photographers who also want to do all the excursions but dragging along a dSLR camera around.

- Princess Cays

- Roatan

- Cozumel

- Grand Cayman

I really want to bring my DSLR around but I do have a point and shoot as well. Wondering if there's another fellow cruisers who's experience this as well.

Thanks in advance.

Lowepro make some excellent backpacks that make it a simple and easy thing to carry round your camera, lens and filters, mine holds both our cameras and gear and is still reasonably compact and able to carry other "backpacky" things :)

I am sure there are other brands doing the same thing.

The weight does add up eventually, so it would pay to leave chargers and unwanted or unlikely to be used accessories in your cabin.

Lowepro make some excellent backpacks that make it a simple and easy thing to carry round your camera, lens and filters, mine holds both our cameras and gear and is still reasonably compact and able to carry other "backpacky" things :)

I am sure there are other brands doing the same thing.

The weight does add up eventually, so it would pay to leave chargers and unwanted or unlikely to be used accessories in your cabin.

I actually have two smaller bags to use plus my gear is pretty light, I use an Olympus E-510 and a few legacy lenses from 30-40 years ago.

My concern is, while I'm snorkelling or swimming, where i should leave my stuff safely.

About the only thing I could think of would be to ask someone who might be operating one of the watersports kiosks if you could stash your gear at their stand while you're in the water. There might be a small tip involved but the peace of mind would be worth it.

I'll be doing the same itinerary in Feb. so let me know how that works out!

I have never seen any lockers in these or other ports to secure your belongings. It is great if you can go ashore with someone else and take turns watching each others stuff, but I would not consider just leaving it on a beach or anywhere else that wasn't secured. Enjoy!

I just recently purchased a dSLR, but have a handy point and shoot (Olympus - waterproof). We left the dSLR on the ship for our excursions and brought along the point and shoot. DIdn't want to take a chance with theft and or damage.

When we weren't on excursions and walking around town, we brought out dSLR and as prior poster mentioned, we have a Lowepro back pack carrier and this worked out very well for us.

Hey everyone!

- Princess Cays

- Roatan

- Cozumel

- Grand Cayman

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a specific answer to your question, but thought I'd pass along this bit of advice:

Regardless of what type of camera bag you have, make sure your camera and lens are protected from moisture. We had to tender from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen and chose the wrong spot on the tender. (Back-up top) We got absolutely, one-hundred percent saturated by the time we got to the mainland! I, fortunately had my camera gear wrapped in plastic sacks inside my back-pack.

On Princess Cay, there should be lockers....

At just "general" beaches elsewhere, don't bring anything you would hate to lose! Of course, there will be others from your ship there with you, (you can tell by the towels!!!)--you can ask them to "keep an eye" on your stuff.

We simply don't bring anything that someone may want....no one wants your tee shirt or flip-flops! Or, a ratty paperback book! Your cabin key, credit card and cash are all ok to get wet! Stick them in your pocket! Or, between the pages of your book!

One other option when you're on the beach is to have your significant other watch the camera equipment on the beach while you swim, jetski or whatever you want to do, then you sit on the beach with the stuff while they enjoy the water. I hate to do it this way, but it's really the only way you'll know your stuff is as safe as it can possibly be.

Our strategy has always been to take turns swimming, but that's not much fun when there's only the two of us.

One thing I have considered getting is one of the PacSafe products that are called "portable safes". They are slash-proof and can be locked to a fixed object. I bought a PacSafe purse last summer for my Mediterranean cruise because I was paranoid of pick-pocketers and I love it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone!

- Princess Cays

- Roatan

- Cozumel

- Grand Cayman

Thanks in advance.

You might see if you can get a waterproof housing for the camera.

This might sound crazy but it worked for me. I brought a round tube float (center in place) and an rechargable pump to blow up, attached 2 shoelaces as a leash and snorkeled all day with my camera/money by my side. The water is so calm in the caribbean did not have to worry about big waves tossing everything!!

May not work for everyone but it was GREAT for me!!

Kris:D

This might sound crazy but it worked for me. I brought a round tube float (center in place) and an rechargable pump to blow up, attached 2 shoelaces as a leash and snorkeled all day with my camera/money by my side. The water is so calm in the caribbean did not have to worry about big waves tossing everything!!

May not work for everyone but it was GREAT for me!!

I suspect you were lucky. Last time I was at St. Thomas, we went on a snorkling tour to St. John's. The water was so rough that there was absolutely no way anyone could snorkle, people who ventured out were being roughed up and some had their bathing suits stripped off by the waves. They had extra guards rescuing people from the water. The size of the waves totally depends on the weather which is unpredictable. Oh, and we've gone snorkling with the sting rays on Grand Cayman that wasn't much better. Absolutely no way could anyone snorkle and with such high waves, it was dangerous being around the rays as you were being bounced around and never knew if you'd land on top of one, not to mention the current which was whipping people past the boats.

FYI, I have an Olympus waterproof camera that I use for snorkling. :)

I

FYI, I have an Olympus waterproof camera that I use for snorkling. :)

Pam

What model do you have and how long have you had it?

I was looking to buy a waterproof camera and after researching was afraid to because of all the reports of "leaking".

Thanks

Karen,

I have the Olympus 850SW waterproof camera. I can't speak to actually using it underwater yet as I haven't yet had the chance to use it other than emersing it in the bathtub to test it (smile). But I can tell you that on land it is a great little camera! Takes just as good of pictures as my regular camera athough the zoom is less. And yes, I bought it for our upcoming cruise to take snorkeling!

Robin

Archived