Is it true that travel agents are not allowed to book Early Saver?

Jeafl

Our travel agent told me she could not book early saver rates for us. She said I had to book it and then switch the reservation over to her. Is she just being lazy, or is this true?

I don't know, it sounds fishy to me...

Because it is a lower rate the TAs get a smaller commission for the same amount of work, she might not want to do it. Will your TA do the paperwork for any reduction in fare?

Much easier for the TA to have you book it with Carnival and then transfer it to him/her.

Brings to mind what I was told after my ES booking through Carnival.

The fellow said " thanks for booking with Carnival now your free to transfer your booking if you like " . Huh ?:confused:

I'm sure by transferring my booking, I can only assume there will be prosperous reason to change that booking .:rolleyes:

Pardon my ignorance, but if you're going to book it yourself, why bother having a TA? :confused:

I've have booked directly with Carnival on the website and with a PVP then transferred it to my TA as I've saved from $100 -$400 vs keeping the booking with Carnival.

My TA actually told me "early saver is definitely the way to go" when I was inquiring about my Miracle cruise next Nov! So they are not all against it. Since it is more costly to "cancel" ES bookings maybe that is considered a plus to this program. They wouldn't make any money if I book non-ES and then right before final payment cancel the booking.

I've have booked directly with Carnival on the website and with a PVP then transferred it to my TA as I've saved from $100 -$400 vs keeping the booking with Carnival.

VIA - ES :confused:

Brings to mind what I was told after my ES booking through Carnival.

The fellow said " thanks for booking with Carnival now your free to transfer your booking if you like " . Huh ?:confused:

I'm sure by transferring my booking, I can only assume there will be prosperous reason to change that booking .:rolleyes:

PVPs don't get comissions for the bookings... they get points and the points stay even if the booking moves...

:)

My TA actually told me "early saver is definitely the way to go" when I was inquiring about my Miracle cruise next Nov! So they are not all against it. Since it is more costly to "cancel" ES bookings maybe that is considered a plus to this program. They wouldn't make any money if I book non-ES and then right before final payment cancel the booking.

Any good TA would never shy away from recommending it (as well as explaining it like mine did). The OP's TA probably won't be in the business for long.

Nope... the TA that books our group cruises has offered to book ES for us but we lose the OBC and perks...

:)

It is possible to book ES with Perks into the Group too. The guest are basically buying the points and that amount is added to the ES Rate. For example a 7 night cruise with 4 points would cost an extra $28pp (1st/2nd Psg) but can be worth $50 more pp in shipboard credits!!!

Our travel agent told me she could not book early saver rates for us. She said I had to book it and then switch the reservation over to her. Is she just being lazy, or is this true?

Run do not walk from this person as fast as possible. Give Carnival a call and book directly thur a PVP. You will be happy that you did if there are any more problems.

You're agent most likely misunderstood. They CAN book ES they just CAN'T do it by calling Carnival. They must book it online..

I don't think they are being Lazy (even though E/S will have a year since it's existence) he/she may have misunderstood.

We just booked and our TA was going to book ES, but told us the military rate was only $30 per person more than ES and doesn't have the restrictions that ES does, so we went with the $60 more. Entirely worth it, but our TA would have booked which ever one we wanted. We'll be in a OS.

Same thing with our TA. We booked ES and were warned (several times) about the ramifications if we chose to cancel, but the itinerary & price could not be beat. Plus our TA threw in free insurance and OBC. Add stockholder credit to that, and it makes for a great way to start a vacation.

OP - I'm not sure why a TA that sells Carnival products would not want to book using ES...ours had no problem doing it. If your TA is giving you a lower price, a significant amount of OBC or other perks, it would benefit you to make the booking thru Carnival and transfer it - even if it feels like a PITA. OTOH, there are a lot of TA's out there (good ones) that would love to have your business.;)

Archived