Happy Birthday Voyager of the Seas!

tahqa

Voyager of the Seas made her maiden voyage 10 years ago today, November 21st, 1999! She was the first of the Voyager class ships and was built in Aker Finnyards, Turku Finland.

When she was launched she had a number of world's firsts, including:

- First rock climbing wall on a cruise ship

- First ice skating rink on a cruise ship -- I'm guessing this is why Katarina Witt is her Godmother :)

- First interior promenade on a cruise ship

Also, at her launching she was the worlds largest passenger ship.

Ship Facts

Maiden Voyage: November 21, 1999

Passenger Capacity: 3,114

Godmother: Katarina Witt

Gross Tonnage: 138,000

Length: 1020'

Max Beam: 156'

Draft: 29'

Cruising Speed: 23.7 knots

We were on the 3rd sailing of the Voyager in december 1999 and have been back on her two more times. That first sailing was memorable for a big reason. We were a group of twelve and had booked 6 inside cabins. Can you believe that we were all upgraded to outside cabins with balcony??? :D What a wonderful surprise that was. I guess that's a thing of the past and doesn't happen very often anymore. ;)

Wow, it has been ten years, amazing how far RCL has come. I cannot wait to be on Voyager in February out of Galveston!! I was on her sister ship , the Navigator of the Seas twice, once for the inaugural cruise (my first cruise ever) and then a year later and had a blast.

Faulous. I remember when Voyager went into service but there was no way I could afford her so I did the Enchantment and the Sea Princess.

Ten years later I STILL have yet to be on a Voyager-class ship (no cruising in 04, 05, 06, 07 or 08, sadly) although I did jump right over that class onto a Freedom-class ship 2 weeks ago. :) Now I feel like I don't need to bother. But I'm still dying to do a Radiance-class ship, based on all the comments over the years on these boards.

Archived