Underwater Camera Question

JeanieTheMom

My sister is planning to get my son (the new diver of our family) an underwater camera for graduation. She found a good deal on one that says it goes 10 meters. What happens if he takes it deeper than that? Does the camera get destroyed, does it leak, does it just not take pictures?

Should I tell her not to get it? (I'm sure one that goes deeper would cost more than she could afford.)

TIA!

My sister is planning to get my son (the new diver of our family) an underwater camera for graduation. She found a good deal on one that says it goes 10 meters. What happens if he takes it deeper than that? Does the camera get destroyed, does it leak, does it just not take pictures?

Should I tell her not to get it? (I'm sure one that goes deeper would cost more than she could afford.)

TIA!

INTOVA makes a very good camera 6 MP that comes with a housing. It can withstand depths of 660 feet.

They are relatively inexpensive, I bought mine for $138 online.

Just google Intova cameras and you will find them.

TIA!

If you take the camera deep enough it will leak and that will destroy it. Ten meters is about 33 feet. I'm sure the camera would survive at 35 feet. Nonetheless, if you go deep enough the camera will leak and that will destroy it.

I have one good to about ten feet. I'm sure I have taken it deeper, but it is still working. Nonetheless, you do need to be careful when diving that you don't exceed the recommended depth.

If you are looking to save some money, check this out as an option:

<http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/index.html>.

I believe I actually bought mine on e-bay because you cannot buy directly from the manufacturer. For about $20 - $40 you get a well-made pouch that will keep your camera safe and dry down to about 10 feet. It allows you to use all of the camera's features, including switching to video mode while underwater.

It allows you to take great pictures, even using your zoom feature.

It is a great product - an awesome alternative to cheap disposable underwater cameras or expensive purpose-built underwater cameras.

Should I tell her not to get it?

Yes, definitely tell her not to get it. 10 meters ~ 33 ft is too shallow a depth rating. You take that cheap camera too deep and it will eventually leak and that will be the end of the camera.

The minimum rating you need to look for it 120 ft or more.

If you are looking to save some money, check this out as an option:

http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/index.html

It is a great product - an awesome alternative to cheap disposable underwater cameras or expensive purpose-built underwater cameras.

That product it totally unsuitable for scuba diving. If you put a camera in a bag and take it deeper than say 15/20 feet the pressure on the camera buttons will enough to push them in, making the camera non-function.

That product it totally unsuitable for scuba diving. If you put a camera in a bag and take it deeper than say 15/20 feet the pressure on the camera buttons will enough to push them in, making the camera non-function.

Yes I am aware the bag would not work for scuba, but I feel it is a great alternative for snorkeling.

TIA!

You need a camera that will go deeper than 20 meters for diving.

Canon powershot camera have several models with underwater housings that Canon makes. Canon has the most underwater camera housing for point and shoot cameras. Very decent pictures.

Not sure of her budget. My original underwater set up was an A series and underwater housing - camera and housing was less than $300. You can find good used/discontinued models on ebay.

TIA!

For my birthday, my wife got me a really nice Olympus Stylus 1030 underwater camera. The only problem with it, was the depth was good to 33 ft, which for Scuba, is not very deep at all. We ended up getting a housing for it. We can now take it 233 ft which is plenty deep enough for the recreational limits and we are going to try it out on our Cruise in February.

I have the Olympus 790SW which is waterproof to 10 feet (not meters) and I bought the underwater housing for it when I go diving. I LOVE it!!!!! It is a really great little camera. The olympus cameras that are waterproof are also drop-proof (from 5 ft) and freeze proof, which are great features for a college aged boy :D. The underwater case for the camera was about the same price as the camera itself, but totally worth it. I feel very confident that if my underwater housing were to flood (knock on wood) my camera would be okay because it is waterproof itself. Here are some pics I took on a recent cruise to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Roatan.

honeymoon046.jpg

honeymoon072.jpg

macro shot of 2 peppermint shrimp in a sponge.

honeymoon083.jpg

honeymoon086.jpg

Also, my husband has an Intova underwater camera that he got as a gift and after using it, I wouldn't recommend it. The pictures weren't horrible, but not as good as my Olympus (in my opinion). The biggest problem with the camera is that the resolution on the camera screen is horrible! Everything looks blurry and out of focus on the screen, but the pictures turn out okay. Plus, the camera isn't as good for everyday kind of pictures like my olympus is. Here are some of his pics.

honeymoon170.jpg

honeymoon178.jpg

And a side-by-side comparison. This is the same turtle as captured by his camera and my camera.

honeymoon171.jpg

His

honeymoon046.jpg

Mine

Jeniethemom,

Take a look at http://www.backscatter.com they did a test for 09 point and shoot cams--it is under news items. I used this earlier this fall and bought an Olympus FE 360 and the Olympus housing for it. Total was $138. for used camera on ebay and new housing from Adorama.

http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/

TIA!

A camera that goes to 10 meters (30 ft) is for Snorkeling only.

Below this depth the additional water pressure is likely to force moisture through the case. Also the buttons tend to stop working because once pressed they stay pressed due to the pressure on them.

I addition once you are below about 10 feet the water tends to filter out the colours of the natural light, reds go first, then the blues. (This is why a lot of underwater photos have a green cast to them) A good computer photo editing program will improve this but as we say "you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear"

Traditionally, underwater photographers used a red filter for blue water or an orange filter for green water to alleviate this problem.

Some digital cameras have an "underwater" mode which is the equivalent of a red filter.

I use a Canon I630/SD630 which was not an expensive rig at the time I bought it (now superseded by the powershot range) and if you want to see what is acheivable have a look at my website

http://www.mystkittsdivebuddy.com/pages/galleryPg1.html

Do a web search and read a few articles on the essentials before you buy, unfortunately even the lower end of decent underwater cameras are not a cheap purchase. To buy anything rated at less than 130 ft is a waste of money.

The "plastic bag" type of housings, sold to protect any camera down to about 30 feet are just a disaster waiting to happen.

Think about purchasing used, many divers will be upgrading for xmas, try ebay or have a look on the scubaboard forums. Buy from a diver rather than a dealer, most divers really look after there cameras and there is very little to go wrong with the housings.

Give your new diver my best wishes, and if you are ever down in the Islands give me a call!

Terry

Archived