Netbook wifi on international itinerary

diann744

Hi,

I searched previous threads and found answers to some of my questions, but not all. I’ll be bringing my new netbook with me on an upcoming Panama Canal cruise. If I understand correctly, the cost for internet packages is the same as if I used the ship’s computers although it’s somewhat hit and miss as to whether I’ll have a signal in my cabin. But I have a couple of other questions.

Will my carrier (Verizon) dock my usage for the time online? It seems like they shouldn’t since I’m paying HAL. Does anyone know?

Second, do I need to upgrade an international package with Verizon for the month? Again, I’m thinking no, but I’d like to confirm.

Many thanks.

Diann

On the ship, you will be using wifi, not the aircard to access the internet via the ships satellite. And if you bring your cellphone, you can use your regular Verizon service via the ship's cell tower link to satellite, although you will be roaming at a fairly high rate.

In various ports, there is free or cheap wifi available (just ask any crew member!). If you wish to use your cell phone or netbook aircard, in many foreign ports it will be necessary for you to have arranged international service before leaving home.

I searched previous threads and found answers to some of my questions, but not all. I’ll be bringing my new netbook with me on an upcoming Panama Canal cruise. If I understand correctly, the cost for internet packages is the same as if I used the ship’s computers although it’s somewhat hit and miss as to whether I’ll have a signal in my cabin. But I have a couple of other questions.
I used my netbook on my Amsterdam cruise in my cabin last January with no problems. You go to the WiFi icon in your task bar and select the ship's WiFi system. Then, you open I.E. and the ship's log-in page comes up. There, you sign up for a package and set your username and password (there'll be instructions for that.) Then just go to the Internet or open your email program. When you're done, type http://1.1.1.1 in the url bar to log out of your package. If you don't, you might not be signed out and use minutes so this is very important.

I found it a lot easier to use AOL but there are other email clients out there that allow you to download your email, sign off, respond to your email, sign back on and send. I used less than 4 minutes to do all my email, including the sign-ons and offs.

The one thing that was made very clear to me by the Internet Cafe Manager is that they will not answer any questions or assist you if you use your computer in your cabin. He told me, and others, (rather nastily) that even though there's WiFi in the cabins, they don't support it and won't help you so read the directions very carefully. They're not difficult but the most important thing is to completely log out using your netbook; don't just turn it off or hibernate it.

I don't know if you have a smartphone or not? But before I went oversea's to cruise the Med I called up AT & T and signed up for a international data plan. I has able to surf the web, send and rec emails. My Blackberry worked great in Europe and had no reception issues while in port. I also had a Netbook with me, but I never needed to use it since my Blackberry handled everything.

That is an excellent suggestion --downloading email. I wasted a lot of money/minutes reading and responding.

Don't be too alarmed if you can't get a signal, even in the internet room. While in Italy and France, there were times that we couldn't get on. This was on Prinsendam.

I used my netbook on Eurodam, Maasdam and Westerdam and it was great. Sure, there are times when the signal might be down or very slow, but having a netbook along is a wonderful convenience.

The one thing that was made very clear to me by the Internet Cafe Manager is that they will not answer any questions or assist you if you use your computer in your cabin. He told me, and others, (rather nastily) that even though there's WiFi in the cabins, they don't support it and won't help you so read the directions very carefully. They're not difficult but the most important thing is to completely log out using your netbook; don't just turn it off or hibernate it.

I asked for and received help from Internet Manager on Eurodam and Westerdam and I was using my netbook in my cabin one of those times and in Neptune Lounge the other.

The concierge called her (him) and put me on the phone to work out whatever was my issue. No problem.

Archived