One person's artifact is another's souvenir.

DoctorFeelgood

... Oh... and in followup to my "Ship of Fools" thread...

The absolute worst thing that I encountered was the behavior of a youngish (late 30's?) couple from what sounded like NJ (perhaps Long Island) who were on our tour of the Mayan ruins in Quirigua, Guatemala. Quirigua is a UNESCO World Heritage Site occupied between 200 and 1000 AD.

The couple became suspicious to me because they were carrying a black bag that looked more and more cumbersome as the walking tour went on. I became curious so I followed them as they lagged behind the group and lurked near ruins. I then observed them picking up stones that made up the ancient ruins and sneaking them into their bag. These weren't pebbles, either... they were parts of the ruins that were bigger than my fist.

Of course, I notified the tour guide, who was so flabbergasted he almost didn't believe me until I rewound my video camera to show him the footage of the couple placing a rock in their bag.

The husband then came around the corner with another rock in his hand and the tour guide asked him what he was doing with it. The wife said "I'm going to take it home". The tour guide then asked them very politely to put the rock back, and the husband threw the rock against the ruins. (Of course he kept the remaining rocks hidden in his bag.)

Fortunately, the tour guide notified the park rangers who then searched and confiscated the remaining rocks as the couple was about to board the bus.

Even though I had nothing to do with this couple's sacriledge, I was incredibly embarrassed to be even remotely associated with them (same tour, same ship, same nationality). Who could possibly be so disrespectful?

DoctorFeelGood,

This supports my belief that ignorance, narcissism and all forms of selfishness are the most dangerous forces on the planet today. This does tie right in with your other thread, however this goes beyond crude, crass behavior on a cruise ship. Behavior like this destroys the artifacts of our world civilzations and the heritage of ancient people. These people should have been procecuted. Ignorance is really no excuse for this behavior. Even if they did not understand the value of what they where taking, they surely understood the concept of stealing.

If there is any hope for us, people need to be held accountable for their behavior. There must be consequences for their misbehavior.

Linda

I hope those idiots are on this board, and see that!

How anyone can do that, and not let thier conscience bother them is beyond me. With all the new medications out there, why can't they make a pill to stop these people from breeding? (Or in thier case, mutate)

I think the rangers should have given a rock to each pax on the tour, and have them thrown at the offending party.

Archived