San juan sail date - can we disembark

Pilot70D

OK, all of you San Juan veterans I need help.

On the day that the ship sails can one disembark and go shopping after we have boarded the ship and dropped stuff off in our cabin?

We sail at 8:30 P.M. and we are having an informal CC get together at 4:30 in one of the bars which probably will never be the same afterwards. Once the get together has concluded we wanted to disembark for a while, go to Old San Juan and then do some shopping. We think that even with all those fu fu drinks, the ones with funny little paper umbrellas, that the War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B.) is going to order that we wil still have time.

Can we do this assuming that I can keep her sort of under control? Thanks in advance and everyone have a warm, safe and happy Thanksgiving.:D:):D

OK, all of you San Juan veterans I need help.

On the day that the ship sails can one disembark and go shopping after we have boarded the ship and dropped stuff off in our cabin?

We sail at 8:30 P.M. and we are having an informal CC get together at 4:30 in one of the bars which probably will never be the same afterwards. Once the get together has concluded we wanted to disembark for a while, go to Old San Juan and then do some shopping. We think that even with all those fu fu drinks, the ones with funny little paper umbrellas, that the War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B.) is going to order that we wil still have time.

Can we do this assuming that I can keep her sort of under control? Thanks in advance and everyone have a warm, safe and happy Thanksgiving.:D:):D

Yes you can, just make sure you are back on board in plenty of time!!!

If you are boarding around 11:00 and wanted to take several hours to go to Old San Juan, very doable. Going after your get together at 4:30 might not be the best. You will have to taxi to Old San Juan and this might take up to 30 min but most likely 15. Then you must be back for the sailaway. This really does not give you time to enjoy the old city. The pier that is walking distance from the old city is not used embarkation.

Since you seem to be interested in seeing something of San Juan, why don't you fly in a day or two before the cruise :confused: Then you can sightsee in Old San Juan or anyplace else and not worry about a deadiline to get on the ship. If you board the ship on sailing day and then get off late in the afternoon, you're taking a chance on not getting back in time and then "you're up the creek without a paddle". :mad: Traffic in San Juan is a little hectic so don't take any silly chances. :rolleyes:

When we had an 11PM sailing, we were able to get off the ship after boarding. Just make sure they scan your seapass as you leave. We weren't scanned off and it was a hassle to get back on since we were listed as being onboard.

Does anyone know if there is a water taxi across the harbour from old town to get you close to the pier?

I sailed from the Pan Am pier in SJ three times and never seen or heard of a water taxi between there and OSJ. IMO you will need to take a regular taxi or bus.

I sailed from the Pan Am pier in SJ three times and never seen or heard of a water taxi between there and OSJ. IMO you will need to take a regular taxi or bus.

I agree I have never seen a water taxi either. We always take a regular taxi.

Archived