10:30 a.m. flight - Barcelona??

DP

I didn't have a problem with my 10:30 flight....however it was one of the only parts of my vacation that went off without a hitch. The 2 cruises prior to mine on the BOS both missed their set arrival time in Barcelona, so they would have missed a 10:30 flight.

Departing from RCCL is a 10:30 flight too early? RCCL says it is doable. What is the earliest flight you have taken out of Barcelona?

Not sure when you ship docks. It takes abound 30-35 min from ship to airport by cab if there are no delays. I've never been on RCCL but can share experiences with NCL disembarkation.

a) Ship was on time (5 am)

b) NCL offered luggage pickup (11 pm deadline). Passengers were provided with color tags for the desired time slot. If you choose the option then luggage was delivered to a carousel in the bottom of the terminal. We chose not to use it and disembarked on our own when we wanted (around 8 am). So if you are in a hurry I would decline luggage pickup.

c) Taxis were plentiful between 7 and 8 am but people reported waits up to 1 hr around 9 am.

We had a 09.05 hrs flight.

Get off from the ship at 07.15 hrs.

Had pre-booked a taxi for 07.30 hrs.

And time at check-in counter:

2009NCLGEM80205-vi.jpg

When we were on NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS in May we had the same situation:

Booked the taxi for 07.30 hrs and left the ship with 1st group at 07.00 hrs.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Departing from RCCL is a 10:30 flight too early? RCCL says it is doable. What is the earliest flight you have taken out of Barcelona?

We just came back from NCL on Thurs Nov. 26 on a 9:55 am flight out of Barcelona. Got to airport in plenty of time. We carried our luggage off, but went with NCL- bus to the airport. Note: the boat was cleared at 5 am and we walked off the ship at 5:45 am- seem to be plenty of taxis- not sure if they were all reserved or just there. the NCL bus #1 left for the airport about 6:20 am- so whatever you choose, if your ship arrives early you should have no problem. Hope this helps....

That is reassuring! We also have a 1025 flight to catch out of Barcelona. Do you mind if I ask what day of the week it was? Does it make a big difference to traffic at that time of the morning? We are arriving on a Wednesday morning.

We had a 09.05 hrs flight.

Get off from the ship at 07.15 hrs.

Had pre-booked a taxi for 07.30 hrs.

And time at check-in counter:

2009NCLGEM80205-vi.jpg

When we were on NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS in May we had the same situation:

Booked the taxi for 07.30 hrs and left the ship with 1st group at 07.00 hrs.

Regards,

HeinBloed

shushh!! I've got you beat! The flight we want to book leaves at 10:00am!! Eek! When I asked about being able to get there on another site...I was told absolutely no...I hate to be the rebel, but these guys are making it seem possible...I'm just not sure what time the Disney ship docks and if we can get off at 5:30am...I would have no problem doing that..I think I'm going to do it, just adds to the excitement of the trip! :)

Tara

That is reassuring! We also have a 1025 flight to catch out of Barcelona. Do you mind if I ask what day of the week it was? Does it make a big difference to traffic at that time of the morning? We are arriving on a Wednesday morning.

We were there on Sunday morning.

If you go on a weekday it's SLIGHTLY longer maybe 25-30 minutes. We did it already on a Monday.

The rush hour and congestion was only port-bound and not airport-bound around the time you are leaving the ship.

Here are all info:

http://heinbloed-ncl.blogspot.com/2009/11/tag-8-auf-der-norwegian-gem-in.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

shushh!! I've got you beat! The flight we want to book leaves at 10:00am!! Eek! When I asked about being able to get there on another site...I was told absolutely no...I hate to be the rebel, but these guys are making it seem possible...I'm just not sure what time the Disney ship docks and if we can get off at 5:30am...I would have no problem doing that..I think I'm going to do it, just adds to the excitement of the trip! :)

Tara

Disney was last time 2007 in town.

The arrival times of DISNEY MAGIC:

03.34, 04.41, 04.45, 04.57, 04.59, 05.01, 05.05, 07.15

But no idea what is planned for next season...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Tara

and was told that I couldn't make a 10:45 flight...being at the airport wasn't the problems, they said security might take a while...so I just resigned myself to staying an extra day.

HeinBloed thank you for the info and the stats. Much appreciated. You might know the answer to this. How do you find information on which Terminal you're meant to go at Barcelona airport. I've heard of people going to wrong place?

Also when you mention in your blog ABC is for the schengen area flights, is that just for boarding or for things like security/check in? Our flight is with Singapore airlines. So Barcelona to Singapore but refuelling in Milan.

Thanks again.

Belinda

HeinBloed thank you for the info and the stats. Much appreciated. You might know the answer to this. How do you find information on which Terminal you're meant to go at Barcelona airport. I've heard of people going to wrong place?

Also when you mention in your blog ABC is for the schengen area flights, is that just for boarding or for things like security/check in? Our flight is with Singapore airlines. So Barcelona to Singapore but refuelling in Milan.

Thanks again.

Belinda

Singapore Airlines is member of Star Alliance - so you will be in Terminal 1 - the new Terminal. All Star Alliance members are there.

You will board in DE as Singapore Airlines does not offer the right to sell from Barcelona to Milan. There is no local traffic. So if you have plenty of time and want to shop around you first go to ABC and then move over to DE for immigration and boarding.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We would have no problem with a 10:30 flight out of Barcelona and have actually made a 10 am on one cruise. We prefer just getting off the ship and grabbing a taxi. Most of the cruise lines now offer an express disembarkation program where you carry your luggage off the ship (these are the first off on most lines). The biggest delays at most ports is getting your luggage, so this is a popular option among frequent cruisers who have early flights.

Hank

I just got back from RCCL Voyager on Sunday. Our flight out of Barcelona was 10 am and we made it...only because they delayed the flight for us. We had a horrible experience at Barcelona airport.

We hand-carried our luggage off the ship but the ship was delayed in docking and we did not leave the ship until 7:30 am. There were plenty of taxis and we arrived at the airport at 7:50 am.

Checking in with Iberia and going through security was a NIGHTMARE. We got through security at 9:20 am. Yes, you read that right. It took almost 1.5 hours for us to check-in and go through security. Our flight was already scheduled to board and we weren't even in the correct terminal. We had to take the tram to the terminal and made it to our gate around 9:35 am, just to find out that we had to do another security screening through American Airlines. Luckily, there were many passengers in the same situation as us so they delayed the flight by 20 minutes. Otherwise, we would not have made it.

From this experience, I recommend not leaving in the morning. It's really hectic and stressful. If I did it over again, I'd leave in the afternoon, even if it meant taking an additional day off work to fly home.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation for a March cruise. Just wondering...why did you have to check in with Iberia and then again with American? I've never flown out of Barcelona, so I don't know the ins and outs.

thanks!

I'm in a similar situation for a March cruise. Just wondering...why did you have to check in with Iberia and then again with American? I've never flown out of Barcelona, so I don't know the ins and outs.

thanks!

Iberia and American are both One World Alliance partners and both are handled in the new Terminal 1.

Regards,

HeinBloed

thanks!

Iberia and American are partners. I purchased the ticket through American but had to get my boarding passes at the Iberia ticket counter. Once passing through airport security, you proceed to your gate where American does another check-in and U.S. security screening, asking you questions about where your bags have been, why you were on this trip, etc. They don't actually inspect your luggage. It's specifically for people flying to the U.S.

• 4 weeks later...

Just off ship on Sunday. We were on CO flight to EWR at 10:30. anyone providing info to you on a trip prior to 12/24 doesn't have the correct info so just beware of the new flt. rules for US bound flts. Basically, So long as the ship arrival in BCN is on time, you will be able to make a 10:30 flight. We were off the ship by 6a.m and at the airport by 6:45. we didn't take our own luggage off and we took the NCL bus to the airport. the airline check in counters only open 3 hours prior to flight. Beware of this NOW in BCN. There are 3 checkpoints to consider. First, normal security, 2nd, border checkpoint, 3rd and WORST, checkpoint for flts departing to US. complete hand search of EVERY carry on article and body search. I do mean EVERY.

Our flt. was delayed due to airport screw up but nonetheless expect 2 hours for all of the above. Don't dilly dally in the shops. go to the gate as soon as you can. Really.

We're on the April dcl ta cruise. The boat arrives 4/23 and we spend a day in barcelona and disembark on 4/24. We have a 10:45 am flight out. I'm interested in knowing how to pre-book a cab. There will be five of us and I don't know the ins and outs of this and want to try and have most things planned early.

Thank you.

We're on the April dcl ta cruise. The boat arrives 4/23 and we spend a day in barcelona and disembark on 4/24. We have a 10:45 am flight out. I'm interested in knowing how to pre-book a cab. There will be five of us and I don't know the ins and outs of this and want to try and have most things planned early.

Thank you.

Since you aren't rushing from the ship to the airport, I am certain the concierge at your hotel can help you with timing and securing a taxi or private car. I can't imagine it will be a problem the day after the cruise. Enjoy the TA! We did it on the Gem last year and had a wonderful cruise.

Cathy

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry if I wasn't clear, the boat docks in barcelona on the 23rd, and overnights in port. We depart the boat on the 24th.

Thanks,

I'm on that cruise, too. And I've just read a horror story about Disney transfers to the airport that makes me want to research private transfers.

What would the cab fare be to the airport?

I'm on that cruise, too. And I've just read a horror story about Disney transfers to the airport that makes me want to research private transfers.

What would the cab fare be to the airport?

depends to

number of bags

time of travel

day of travel

Terminal at airport (1 or 2)

roughly if pre-booked 40 EUR (incl. all tipping) -

for 3 bags, Sunday early morning to Terminal 1

if you do not pre-booked maybe 35 EUR

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 months later...

We are curious about departure times as well, but to France instead of the U.S. Our desired flight leaves Friday morning at 10:30 am for CDG (Paris) on Air France. We are sailing on NCL so we will be using express walk off. Will we be subject to the dreaded 3rd security checkpoint? If so, how much time should we really allow?

Archived