For Kiwi Cruzer

rockgarden

I forgot to ask you about the incident in Sydney Airport. What happened and how? It might be good for everyone interested to know just what their approach was and how you avoided getting ripped off.

Rosemary

The incident could have happened at any airport ,anywhere in the world.

We had left the terminal and were on the forecourt,looking for either a shuttle or taxi to take us to the dock.Then one of us went back into the terminal to make a purchase ,while the other stood outside with the bags and waited.This must have been when we were spotted as targets.

1 ,of the 2, who were working the scam asked me what the time was.

We then got into the line for the shuttle,and one of them approached and asked where the taxi stand was.......we both spun around to point in the direction of the taxi stand ,while the other,snuk up behind and grabbed the small carry on case,which was sitting on top of the luggage on the trolley,containing all the tickets,passports,credit cards,cash,insurance papers etc...........

Fortunately ,as if by instinct ,I spun around to see the 2nd guy about 4 paces away with the bag and lunged at him,and got my hand on the bag............

His reaction......"The bag was falling off your trolley sir.....so I tried to save it.."

It all happened so quickly,they were very clever,and as always ,no security guards or police around,and no one else in the line saw anything....the 2 of them then dissapeared very quickly,and then the shuttle was there and we were off.........very shaken by the experience.........

So the lesson for us all.........

Watch your bags very closely..........

The silly thing is that our cases have straps that enable you to attach small carry on bags,but I had undone them to get something out of the bag.......

I guess we all just have to be aware....at all times.........

We were very lucky that we did not have the bag stolen.

When you are in "Cruise Mode" ......

everything seems just great......

So to all others out there who made read this post

ENJOY ....BUT.........

TAKE CARE AND BE AWARE..........

David.

Distraction thefts are almost the worst kind, IMO, because the culprits are usually preying on the good nature of ordinary people, who normally want to help others when they can. I've almost fallen victim to this myself.

The best protection is not just "not letting your luggage out of your sight" - it's to make sure you never turn your back on it. Keep it between you and whoever you're talking to.

The opportunity I see more than any other is at check-in desks. People unload their baggage onto the scales, then put the trolley with the carry on bags behind them while they talk to the check-in agent.

Archived