Noise at Grand Quay Suites Sydney

cruzadict

Well what do you expect, given its location? Do you actually know where the Quay Grand is?

This is the masthead picture from the hotel's website:-

25u3y3k.jpg

That is probably taken from the Circular Quay railway station. The Quay Grand is the closest building on the right hand side. This shows you just how close it is to both the railway line and to the ferries. You're bound to get noise from both if you sit on a balcony overlooking both of them, mere yards away from you.

This is a bit like asking whether you'll get aircraft noise if you sit on the balcony of a hotel that boasts of being only yards from the airport.

If you want peace and quiet on your hotel balcony, better not to stay in the middle of a busy city transport hub.

Globaliser

Don't think there is any need to be so rude when answering anyones questions. I am not stupid enough to know that there will not be some noise, just wondering if it was intrusive. I thought these boards were to help with any questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess it depends on what you define as "noise". Yes, it's right in the centre of the businest transport hub in downtown Sydney (Circular Quay) so there's constant activity. Personally I think it adds to the whole experience watching the ferries and general bustle but if you want peace and quiet you may have to rethink.

But it's Globaliser "Mr Know it all"

Mostly, he does know it all, at least on the topics he posts on. However, he doesn't suffer fools gladly.

His posts are accurate and have helped many people with many aspects of travel.

I did not think it was permitted to make personal attacks on posters on Cruisec Critic.

Mostly, he does know it all, at least on the topics he posts on. However, he doesn't suffer fools gladly.

His posts are accurate and have helped many people with many aspects of travel.

I did not think it was permitted to make personal attacks on posters on Cruisec Critic.

I agree, Celle

Sometimes comments seem harsher than they are meant to be on the internet.

Whilst I don't agree with all Globaliser's comments, I value Globaliser's valuable knowledge sharing.

I guess it depends on what you define as "noise". Yes, it's right in the centre of the businest transport hub in downtown Sydney (Circular Quay) so there's constant activity. Personally I think it adds to the whole experience watching the ferries and general bustle but if you want peace and quiet you may have to rethink.

I couldn't agree more. The ferries honk their horns as they back out from the wharf (legal requirement). I love to sit there and watch it all happen. You'll be pleased to know that when the balcony doors are clsed you really can't hear anything - so shouldn't disturb your sleep.

It is a great location - I've never actually thought of it as noisy but then I catch the ferry to and from work so I'm pretty used to it.

More explanation on the photo Globalizer posted- The photo was taken from the platform at the Circ Quay railway station (or very close to it). The two boats are ferries and the docks extend almost the full width of the channel to the left of the frame. I recall there are about 10-12 docks. Behind the vantage point of the photographer there's an elevated highway viaduct.

So it really is the transport heart of Sydney; I think the ferry horns are part of the atmosphere of Circular Quay. But if I was trying to sleep it might not seem as "charming".

One tip, foam earplugs are part of my standard travel kit. They occasionally come in handy and ensure a good night's sleep when I'm too close to the elevators, a highway, or obnoxious people in the next room.

• 2 weeks later...

At Circular Quay you have the ferries (honking their horns, deploying their thrusters and chucking their gang planks out) but I quite like the sounds --I used to live right next to Neutral Bay ferry wharf and it was fine by me...even though it totally spooked my cat when we first moved in! He peed all over my silk rug every time a ferry went by 10 metres off the garden wall - which was about very 20 minutes!

Anyway back to the topic -- Circular Quay is non-stop activity from early morning to very late at night!

Then you have the train line and the Cahill Expressway (a major freeway leading to/from the Harbour Bridge) running parallel to that. These are NOT nice noises!

On the balcony at Quay Grand - Peaceful? DEFINITELY NO unless it is around 3 am! Interesting? Absolutely!

Archived