Pipe bursts in 'Statendam' cabin during Transcanal

jleq

How do you know the amount of water or the duration of the problem? I met someone on one cruise who complains about something on nearly every cruise and manages to get some reimbursement for this nearly every time. He wanted us to complain about a problem we'd also had. We didn't because it really wasn't a big issue. He did and probably got something for his complaint and, of course, follow up letter or call.

You made it a comparison. What I was mentioning is sometimes things happen when cruising.(unplanned bad things,like pipes bursting etc)

oh yea- Have you ever sailed in a code red for 14 days non-stop? Just curious

You made the comparison by listing alllll the "terrible" things that have happened on a cruise to you, prefacing it with "These things just sometimes happen" and then saying it is the "gamble of cruising".

No, I've never sailed 14 days nonstop in code red. Have you ever lived with dehumidifiers and industrial fans running 24 hours/day for 14 days? Just curious.

Look guys, I think we can all agree here that the involved pax did not expect, nor did they pay for the problems they encountered on this cruise!

Pipedreams' point is a valid one also in that "ship" happens. In this case, it certainly did, so now you look at how HAL can make things whole for those pax.

Doesn't appear that there was another cabin available (ship was full) so now what? If you are the ship's staff, you do the best you can i.e. blowers/fans/dryers/"purple towels", you name it. The point about giving the pax a "crew cabin" instead, which has been brought up here before, won't fly because now you're putting those folks in living spaces normally off-limits to pax.

So do those pax have the same cruise experience as if no pipe bursed? No, of course not and that's where that famous word "compensation" comes in. $180 per couple credit? Me thinks that the final amount is always going to be up to the suits in Seattle (which turned out to be an add'l $745/4 cat upgrade + VIP status on a future cruise). Are they going to offer them a free cruise? More than likely not. Should they? The Chicago Tribune article says at the end that the wife does "feel better" with the 2nd offer.

...No, of course not and that's where that famous word "compensation" comes in. $180 per couple credit? Me thinks that the final amount is always going to be up to the suits in Seattle (which turned out to be an add'l $745/4 cat upgrade + VIP status on a future cruise).

The suits upheld the decision that had previously been made on board. It wasn't until they made the Travel Page that the more reasonable offer was made.

Was the original offer in any way reasonable? If it was defendable under public scrutiny, it would not have been enhanced.

Smooth sailing...

I mentioned some things that happened on some of my cruises.

READ MY LIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They weren't comparisons to this couple!

They Weren't complaints!

They weren't terrible things that happened.

They were just things that happened

A captain missing a port to look for survivors of a sinking vessel is NOT a terrible thing... he did the right thing and should be given heaps of praise.

Noro for 14 days,the crew busting there backs for 14 days doing 5 times the work,is NOT a complaint or a terrible thing,it just happened and the only terrible thing is how taxed the poor crew was.

My having a cold story wasn't a complaint or terrible either,it just happened. That's life

Putting this couple completely aside (removing them completely... hello anybody out there?)

There are posters on here who have the most horrific cruise,get a big hefty discount and then go on another cruise with the same line or the same ship:rolleyes:

Are you ready for this,are you on the edge of your seat with baited breath?

Their next cruise is just as horrific,and they receive another generous credit. It's cyclical and a great way to cruise inexpensively.

Crazy ole me... Once I touch a hot burner and burn my hand,I refuse to touch it again. That's just me though

I still say the cruise line should find another cabin. Even if this means moving entertainers or officers etc. There is no way that these people should have had to endure these conditions.

Besides top management of the ship (captain/hotel manager/chief engineer and I believe, environmental officer) who have state rooms behind the bridge, the other officers' and entertainers' living spaces are on A and B-Decks. You can't put pax there. Why not? Because they are secure area's with access to even more secure area's of the ship.

The suits upheld the decision that had previously been made on board. It wasn't until they made the Travel Page that the more reasonable offer was made.

Was the original offer in any way reasonable? If it was defendable under public scrutiny, it would not have been enhanced.

The suits and/or someone else higher up the food chain in Seattle obviously had second thoughts. Did the article in the Tribune have something to do with it? Probably. Could that have happened with more letters by the involved couple(s) going all the way to the top? Maybe, maybe not; you and I don't know and it's a moot point now.

Do I think the first offer was reasonable based on the couple's cruise experience? No I do not, but I'm not a HAL lawyer/risk manager in Seattle who has to look at bigger pictures

I mentioned some things that happened on some of my cruises.

READ MY LIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They weren't comparisons to this couple!

They Weren't complaints!

They weren't terrible things that happened.

They were just things that happened

A captain missing a port to look for survivors of a sinking vessel is NOT a terrible thing... he did the right thing and should be given heaps of praise.

Noro for 14 days,the crew busting there backs for 14 days doing 5 times the work,is NOT a complaint or a terrible thing,it just happened and the only terrible thing is how taxed the poor crew was.

My having a cold story wasn't a complaint or terrible either,it just happened. That's life

Putting this couple completely aside (removing them completely... hello anybody out there?)

There are posters on here who have the most horrific cruise,get a big hefty discount and then go on another cruise with the same line or the same ship:rolleyes:

Are you ready for this,are you on the edge of your seat with baited breath?

Their next cruise is just as horrific,and they receive another generous credit. It's cyclical and a great way to cruise inexpensively.

Crazy ole me... Once I touch a hot burner and burn my hand,I refuse to touch it again. That's just me though

Oh I see, you make all of those references because they have no relevance to the topic of the thread.

Then you infer that people complain repeatedly to weasel cheap cruises from cruise lines in perpetuity.

Are you suggesting this to be the case with respect to the OP - or is this just another comment made in passing "removing" "completely" the OP from the ungenerous reference to motivations?

But we digress. The question was with respect to the nature of the HAL customer service response to a legitimate complaint. Remember, the one that HAL abandoned under the glare of public scrutiny.

Smooth sailing...

oh i see, you make all of those references because they have no relevance to the topic of the thread.

Then you infer that people complain repeatedly to weasel cheap cruises from cruise lines in perpetuity.

Are you suggesting this to be the case with respect to the op - or is this just another comment made in passing "removing" "completely" the op from the ungenerous reference to motivations?

But we digress. The question was with respect to the nature of the hal customer service response to a legitimate complaint. Remember, the one that hal abandoned under the glare of public scrutiny.

Smooth sailing...

+1!

I'll go stand in the corner

Oh I see, you make all of those references because they have no relevance to the topic of the thread.

I thought they were relevant,only in the case of sometimes unexpected things happen,and pipes bursting is certainly not the norm,then I mentioned a few things that happened to me,that aren't the norm. I apologize if they didn't make your relevant barometer.

Yes,perhaps you should spend some more time reading the boards these people stick out like a sore thumb

Are you suggesting this to be the case with respect to the OP - or is this just another comment made in passing "removing" "completely" the OP from the ungenerous reference to motivations?

I'm sorry if I strayed off topic,I must have missed your swearing in ceremony

But we digress. The question was with respect to the nature of the HAL customer service response to a legitimate complaint. Remember, the one that HAL abandoned under the glare of public scrutiny.

Smooth sailing...

I'll go stand in the corner

I thought they were relevant,only in the case of sometimes unexpected things happen,and pipes bursting is certainly not the norm,then I mentioned a few things that happened to me,that aren't the norm. I apologize if they didn't make your relevant barometer.

No, it didn't meet your relevant barometer. You scolded those who assumed otherwise.

Yes,perhaps you should spend some more time reading the boards these people stick out like a sore thumb

Yes, you spend a lot of time on this board.

I'm sorry if I strayed off topic,I must have missed your swearing in ceremony

Don't get all holier than thou here. If you are suggesting the OP complaints are fashioned to get a free cruise, say it. If you don't think so, say that. Don't make an allegation, let it hang and pat yourself on the back for being clever - its not, its disingenuous.

This IS the point of the thread in case you missed it.

However, I accept in total your contrition.

Smooth sailing...

If this is true I think the cruise line should not fill every cabin on the ship. If there is a danger of pipes bursting and flooding cabins they should keep a few cabins empty as a contingency to move people into.
That just makes too much sense for HAL!! :D

Do you think HAL will get rid of the Statendam, and the siblings (Maasdam, Veendam and Ryndam) soon, so these bad experiences will be a thing of the past??

Thanks,

AG

Hi,

Sorry, that's not in the cards....They just '' upgraded '' ( sic...:(.) ( '' modified'' seems a more accurate word......:mad:) VEENDAM . The other three are all scheduled for major yard work in drydock within the next few months. Rotterdam is jsut about to enter the yard herself for work very similar ( unfortunately....) to what was done to Veendam....

Cheers

C

Its unfortunate that HAL only upped their offer after a newspaper became involved.

Agreed.

We'll never know what the outcome would have been if the couple had contacted HAL/Seattle first, before going to the press.

Interesting that even after the compensation was increased, and future cruise benefits were added, the couple won't return.

Despite their efforts, HAL lost in more ways than one - cash, future return guests, and bad press.

I still say the cruise line should find another cabin. Even if this means moving entertainers or officers etc. There is no way that these people should have had to endure these conditions.

There are no rooms for pax in crew areas - sorry. That's a safety and insurance issue. And guest entertainers usually stay in passenger

areas (not crew) anyway.

The ship is not trying to make life difficult for passengers. If they could have helped them with other accommodations, they would have.

If the ship holds back rooms in case of an emergency, revenue is lost. And who is to say passengers would accept the "new" room ?

One poster said the room they were offered was an inside, and they declined it. So there sits an empty room for a week or more.

It's not a like a hotel where management can move a guest to another hotel down the street if they're sold out and there's a

problem with the room.

Ships have a finite number of rooms - for pax and crew.

I sympathize with the Chicago couple...the cruise sounded awful.

Agreed.

We'll never know what the outcome would have been if the couple had contacted HAL/Seattle first, before going to the press.

Interesting that even after the compensation was increased, and future cruise benefits were added, the couple won't return.

Despite their efforts, HAL lost in more ways than one - cash, future return guests, and bad press.

Well, they can be forgiven for that as the offer made on ship was sent to HAL headquarters who apparently concurred that this offer was the best they could do.

What is surprising here is the magnitude of the increase. This was no $50 or $100 OBC top-up. Depending how you value the upgrade and VIP guest offer, it represents a 6 or 7 fold or more improvement on the original.

If the new offer represents equitable compensation, how can one explain the attitude of HAL on-board guest relations? I have referred to HAL Guest Relations as a Brick Wall on these boards...really the only chink in HAL's armor.

With this sad revelation, I rest my case.

Smooth sailing...

Archived