Tropicante bar and grill?

39august

Hi Being there....I checked the menu...are those prices American $s ? If so they seem kind of pricey.....

I would hope pesos, US$15 for a beer is a bit steep, you can get 2 sixers of craft brews for that here.

And BTW, Montejo is a pilsner not a lager as the menu describes it. Think Amstel, perhaps. Negra Leon, is akin to Negra Modelo or Dos XX Amber. Try either for something different.

I plan to go here next week on my cruise. I reserved some tables and chairs already via the website. Will post a review when I return.

I'm anxious to hear your review of this place. I also reserved a table for Jan. :cool: I hope it has clean bathrooms! May sound crazy but I judge a place based on it's bathroom cleanliness!

I will also post my review of this place upon return for future cruisers. :)

There was 12 of us in our group and we spent the majority of the day with Steve at his place, Tropicante. The food and drinks were good. The water was beautiful. Steve had the tables and chairs ready for us when we arrived.

The bathrooms were clean. Make sure you get off the bus at the middle of downtown. Someone boarded our bus at the stop before ours and was trying to tell everyone it was the last stop. I asked the bus driver and he assured me it was not the last stop. The person who got on the bus probably owned a place and was trying to have everyone get off to use his place. Once you get to the boardwalk make a left and Tropicante is about 5 or 6 stores down. It is located next to El Faro (they offer massages above their restuarant overlooking the ocean). No one in my group got a massage but I heard their prices were good.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our Indy cruise and spent the day at Tropicante Bar & Grill on Wed. Jan. 6th. I had made reservations with Steve previously and he had a table for 4x with umbrella PLUS 4x lounge chairs waiting for us upon our arrival. FYI...I'm sure we could have put the chairs/tables IN the water if we wanted to, as someone asked.

We bought the one-way bus pass for $3/pp to Mahahaul. The bus stopped at the North end of town and the driver said it was for the beach...just about everyone got off the bus. We stayed on until the 2nd stop. Steve had warned me that locals may NOT be very helpful in finding his location....BOY, was he right.

The bus driver told me he never heard of the cross street that it is near...(which is Cherna). The locals on the malecon (boardwalk area) said it closed. Other said they never heard of it but that their friend had a nice bar right around the corner. Needless to say, we walked around 'til we found the place and we're glad we did.

Steve's employees Jorge and his brother Tony were very friendly and attentive. The food and drinks never stopped flowing. I got to meet Steve and spoke with him for quite a while. I told him he should join Cruisecritic and answer questions similar to how "Paradise Beach Tom" does on the Cozumel "Ports of Call" threads.

The beach is clean and the water is a very nice aqua color. The waves are just about non-existent. There is some sea grass and not a real good area for snorkeling from the beach. However, it would be good for young children since it's sandy and a gradual incline. There were many water activities nearby, waverunners for rent, banana boat rides, etc. Many vendors approached us to sell their stuff but were not overly pushy.

There are bathrooms at Tropicante but no showers or changing areas. Although I guess you COULD change your clothes in the bathroom stall. I did think the Ladies room could use some work. It was clean but needed paint and was very dimly lit. Not too bad for a germ-a-phobe like me.

At the end of the day, we walked to the cross street (Cherna) and caught a readily available cab back to the port for $2/pp. They now drop you off outside the security area of the port where new shops are being built.

I would recommend Steve, Jorge, Tony and the Tropicante Grill to cruisers visiting Mahahaul and would go there again. If anyone has questions hopefully, I can answer.

Linda

Hi Linda, Thanks for you review on the place. I wanted to ask you some questions.

By mid day how crowded was the beach?

Was the water more then ankel deep? (Last time we went to Pez Quadro and you could not swim because it was only ankel deep, until you walked out so so far. I like to lay on a raft and could not find anywhere along the Malecon that you could do that).

Is this beach between Tequilla and Pez Quadro? T is the fist beach and P is the last south to north I believe.

Did you take any pictures of the beach?

Thanks

Sue

Hi Linda, Thanks for you review on the place. I wanted to ask you some questions.

By mid day how crowded was the beach?

Was the water more then ankel deep? (Last time we went to Pez Quadro and you could not swim because it was only ankel deep, until you walked out so so far. I like to lay on a raft and could not find anywhere along the Malecon that you could do that).

Is this beach between Tequilla and Pez Quadro? T is the fist beach and P is the last south to north I believe.

Did you take any pictures of the beach?

Thanks

Sue

We got to Tropicante about 11:15am...the beach area was maybe half full at that time even though it was a beautiful day. As the day went on, it got more crowded but still NOT bad in my opinion but there are MANY places to grab a table/chairs along the malecon. It was just nice knowing we had a table and chairs waiting for us. There were only 2x ships in port, so not sure IF they do 3x ships a day yet. THEN I could see it being more crowded.

We went to Tequila Beach last time and that's somewhat away from the rest of the businesses and was WAY too crowded for me.

Yes the water was more than ankle deep...DH swam to where it was about chest high but had to go out maybe 50 ft from shore?

I haven't been to Pez Quadro but assume this to be right in the middle of both. I COULD see Tequila Beach to the North in the distance. I told Steve he should add a map to his website with cross streets listed since the locals were of NO help.

We were treated VERY well by Jorge and Tony. Not sure if Steve told them to take extra good care of us or not since we were 'from' Cruisecritic? Also, Steve let us use his phone to call home for free...Nothing better than calling family & friends to say Nah, Nah, Na, Na, Nah. ;)

Hate to say it but we didn't take a camera on this cruise, so no I don't have any pix but do think the pix on their website are accurate. Also wanted to mention that some of his prices went up on Jan. 1st and his menu on the website is NOT updated. For example the Coronas were $2/each vs the menu price of $1.50/each but STILL a good price.

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

Thank You Linda for your answers and for the link to their site.

But it did not have on it how much money it was to secure a table/umbrella a lounge chairs, I will only be needing 2 so I was just wondering.

If we secure the chairs do we just buy our drinks and food seperate? or is is included like some of the other places?

I just wanted to ask before I contacted Steve.

Good to hear the water was a little deeper then last time. And that they will let you put the chairs in the water if you wanted to.

Thanks again

Sue

Sue................hello. I emailed back and forth with Steve and reserved chairs and tables for our upcoming cruise in February. You can reserve loungers for 5 a piece and a table with four chairs for $20. You do not need a deposit though. The cost will be taken off your food and drink bill. So there is no cost for them if you are spending that amount in food and drink. Sorry if I was confusing.

My family reserved 7 loungers and a table for a total of $55. So we will need to spend that amount on food and drinks and they will be free :)

Karen, Thank you so much for the information. That is good to hear.

I am sure I will be drinking at least 4 bottles of Sol Beer and Joe only drinks soda but he will eat up a storm and I like chip and fries so we will go over that amount, and it should be a great day.

Thanks again

Sue

We just returned from Costa Maya and had reserved a table for 4 at Tropicante Bar for the day.

First off, there was no cost we only had to buy food or drinks which was not a problem.

When we arrived, the day was quiet enough that we were able to get 4 chairs plus our table.

I had contacted Steve well in advance to let him know that my daughter was not able to eat certain foods due to a medical condition and he took care of everything for her including changing the menu so she could eat.

Our waiter for the day ( I think it was George) was great and always there when we needed him. The food came fast and my husband said that the enchiladas and borittos were the best he ever had.

The place was easy to find and when we stepped off the bus, the locals directed us to the right place.

We ordered the following food and it came to about $45 in US funds.

1 enchilada

1 nacho with chicken

1 fresh fish platter ( grouper caught that morning)

1 burger and fry

1 beef buritto

2 beers

2 soft drinks

1 bottle of water

I have some pictures if anyone is interested.

We just returned from Costa Maya and had reserved a table for 4 at Tropicante Bar for the day.

First off, there was no cost we only had to buy food or drinks which was not a problem.

When we arrived, the day was quiet enough that we were able to get 4 chairs plus our table.

I had contacted Steve well in advance to let him know that my daughter was not able to eat certain foods due to a medical condition and he took care of everything for her including changing the menu so she could eat.

Our waiter for the day ( I think it was George) was great and always there when we needed him. The food came fast and my husband said that the enchiladas and borittos were the best he ever had.

The place was easy to find and when we stepped off the bus, the locals directed us to the right place.

We ordered the following food and it came to about $45 in US funds.

1 enchilada

1 nacho with chicken

1 fresh fish platter ( grouper caught that morning)

1 burger and fry

1 beef buritto

2 beers

2 soft drinks

1 bottle of water

I have some pictures if anyone is interested.

Would love to see some pictures!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I made reservations from the web site and there is no cost to reserve. Steve replied quickly and confirmed that he has two loungers with "canopies" for shade, which I requested. With 3 ships in port, I was very concerned about getting a good spot. From the pics and comments, looks like a good choice! Have to wait til Feb. 26 to be there.

Archived