Still Loyal to Royal?

bx wahine

I'm with you on this. Some people are satisfied with a Travelodge atmosphere, while others want something nicer. That's why Celebrity is my favorite. I prefer to spend a bit more and get more as a result. A cruise line that charges rock bottom prices is more likely to provide rock bottom amenities, and then charge extra for anything beyond that.

The more I read this board, the more concerned I am becoming about our upcoming Mariner cruise, our first with RCI, and this is because of the itinerary. It seems that it might be a more active and stimulating experience than I favor. I'm starting to think that Royal is the Kmart of the cruise industry, while I prefer Macy's. I hope I'm wrong, but the obsessive defending I see on this board that "Royal can't do anything wrong" is worrisome. If a person criticizes Royal they are instantly flamed and in many cases ridiculed and insulted. I hope, I really do, that the people I will meet on the Mariner are more mature than many I've run across on this board.

This happens on every cruise board. I see that you are a Celebrity cruiser. Got news for you, it can get just as nasty or even worse over there. After reading some of your comments, I have my doubts that you are going to like RCI. If you want quite and serene then the Mariner is not for you. I believe something along the lines of Holland America are in order.

I have only been on one Royal Caribbean cruise (will be going on my second in January). I never felt pressured once on a nine day cruise into buying anything. No thank you seems to work every time.

Anyone who has been to Vegas, which I'm sure is many of you, Know about pushy people trying to give you "free" stuff(shows, dinners, etc.) I never experienced anything like that on Royal Caribbean.

Again, no thanks works every time.

Carnival Victory, 2003

Carnival Victory, 2004

RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009

RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

I have only been on one Royal Caribbean cruise (will be going on my second in January). I never felt pressured once on a nine day cruise into buying anything. No thank you seems to work every time.

Anyone who has been to Vegas, which I'm sure is many of you, Know about pushy people trying to give you "free" stuff(shows, dinners, etc.) I never experienced anything like that on Royal Caribbean.

Again, no thanks works every time.

Carnival Victory, 2003

Carnival Victory, 2004

RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009

RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

I agree......I just don't get the whole nickel and dimed thing. Our last cruise was on the Mariner and although it did not live up to our past cruises on Carnival and Princess, I don't think I was "nickel and dimed" at all. I paid for what I wanted, when I wanted it. It really was simple as that.

IMHO, I really don't want to pay for the alcohol you will consume - I'd much rather choose what I want out of my trip:) While I haven't been on as many cruises as others (only 7 in the last 4 yrs or so), I have always been very capable of saying "no" with a smile and continuing on my way:p On a recent trip on Carnival, we actually had to go in search of the drink guys - at the pools, in the lounges and at dinner - to get drinks:eek: That was very alarming to me - almost wrecked my whole trip! Imagine not being able to have a drink brought to your deck chair:eek:

I have not personally seen the same nastyness or "even worse" on the Celebrity site, and I've been spending just as much time there as on this board. The posters there occasionally disagree, but I have yet to read even one comment such as "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or someone calling another "stupid", both, and even worse, I have read on this board.

Perhaps you may be right about us not liking the experience. But, we tend to be open minded and like to try new things, as long as they are compatible with our tastes. We do like adventure, and occasionally will wake up from our naps refreshed and wanting some excitement! :)

That is why we will try Royal at least once. Then, and only then, will we be able to make a fair comparison between all the cruiselines we have sailed on so far, including Disney, where we had a great time! Only time will tell if Royal will satisfy or not. I realize that it's impossible to tell from reading comments on a public forum, so we will give it a try. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

And please don't patronize me with the Holland America reference. I'm pretty sure you are suggesting that we must be too old and boring for Royal and need to spend time on a cruiseline that is closer to a retierment home than a cruise ship. We do like to "raise hell" at least once a quarter, especially when our supply of Depends is replenished :p

Please don't go in the pools with your depends on!

Going on the Radiance day after tomorrow. Have done 19 HAL and 4 Princess cruises. Cruising is great value. Good prices and "Just say no". HAL and Princess also do a good deal of pitching, depending on the particular staff at the time. HAL even wakes me up from my afternoon snooze to announce Bingo - and I don't play Bingo. It's easy to go back to sleep. I'll put up with this since I don't pay for things I don't want.

However here is an alternative. Try Windstar. I have done 10 cruises. You pay for the booze and tours, but there ain't nothing else -- and the price is comparable to the balcony prices on the cruises for the masses, ie HAL, Princess and I will know about RCL after this cruise. Windstar is the best value that I have found, but I like large ships also.

Happy sailing!

:)

Just say no works most of the time but not all the time:

1. Walking off the ship or to the buffet I have been litterally grabbed by,pirates, bears(in Alaska),and other characters-even after I said NO THANK YOU-Cmon Royal calm down your photographers

2. Never played Bingo never will-Isaid NO THANK YOU to Bingo announcements they didnt listen-Nothing more annoying than listening to the band and in the middle of the song they stop and you are forced to hear a torturous annoying voice saying, "ITS BINGOOOOOOOO TIME"-This also works nicely as a nap buster. Cmon Royal I can read the compass-

Still loyal to Royal!

The one thing I really hate on the cruises we've taken so far is the flea market they set up outside the Windjammer on the 2nd half of the cruise. On the smaller ships that area is so tight you can't get through there.

It is also one thing I mention as a negative on my cruise survey and in any follow up emails to customer service.

I really don't know what people mean by nickel and diming. I have never had anyone ask me to actually buy any of the photos they take, all the photographers understand no thanks and go away, the drink and water package are only sold the first day. I can't wear cheap jewelry due to metal allergies so I don't even slow down for the pitch at the gold by the inch table.

I have never bought a pay for view movie in my life and I'm not about to start on a cruise ship. If I can't find anything else to do on board then maybe I might need to find a bigger ship or different vacation options. But like all else on here - that is just my humble opinion. Many others must think differently because if they didn't the ship wouldn't have pay per view movies. :D

The following usually works. Tell the photographer that you are not traveling with your spouse who thinks you are at a convention. Point to your companion and blush a bit. Usually works. The photographer won't know how to reply!:p

It's not a black and white issue, but a matter of degree. We still cruise often on RCCL, and yes understand about the "nickel and diming". One of the main allures for many cruisers is the all-inclusive nature of it, but that is changing. Is that a bad thing if you never drank Coke anyway? No .. but eventually you end up with an a la carte vacation that no longer has that carefree aspect of having predictable costs.

I'd like to see better food/service in MDR (as they once had) and not have to spend $25 to get it in Chops, but I also think that's $25 well spent. I'm glad I have that option.

A few notes on reading this thread ..

> but no crew member at any point walked up to me and asked me if I wanted to play bingo

I would much prefer that than the blaring bingo (and "art" auction) announcements while I'm snoozing in the Solarium.

> Nobody has ever approached me to buy photos

No, but I've seen the photographers literally grab passengers bodily to put them into place for a picture (as we were exiting the ship at port)

> Inches of Gold: They set up a table, there is no one there holding a knife to your bback forcing you to the table

My beef with Inch of Gold is the sign that says "One Day Only!!", and they are there every day of every cruise ever.

Just say no works most of the time but not all the time:

1. Walking off the ship or to the buffet I have been litterally grabbed by,pirates, bears(in Alaska),and other characters-even after I said NO THANK YOU-Cmon Royal calm down your photographers

2. Never played Bingo never will-Isaid NO THANK YOU to Bingo announcements they didnt listen-Nothing more annoying than listening to the band and in the middle of the song they stop and you are forced to hear a torturous annoying voice saying, "ITS BINGOOOOOOOO TIME"-This also works nicely as a nap buster. Cmon Royal I can read the compass-

Still loyal to Royal!

I don't remember any bingo announcements, I must have been pre occupied with having fun:)

Grabbed by pirates:confused: just laugh it off. They won't make you walk the plank if you don't buy the picture

I don't remember any bingo announcements, I must have been pre occupied with having fun:)

Grabbed by pirates:confused: just laugh it off. They won't make you walk the plank if you don't buy the picture

On the Serenade we heard the daily, "Bingo, bingo, bin-GO..." Cute, but still annoying.

I'm sure you guys are right. I just didn't feel like this last cruise was a great value. Maybe I have deeper issues - i.e., the small cabins yet expensive cabins, the $12.95 pay per view movies, the $15 charge to press 3 items of clothing (and no, I'm not talking about evening wear). The temptation to go elsewhere and save a few bucks is strong at the moment. I know Royal has a great product but I wonder, are they hurting for money so much that all this is necessary? BTW, I get tired of saying "No thanks" over and over again.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. Am I just crazy or am I the only one who feels this way?

You are not alone. My wife and I have not yet strayed from RCI, but we are seriously considering NCL for our next cruise. We like RCI, but it is getting hard to justify their considerably higher prices.

I'm like you, I really don't get why people make a fuss over things like this. It seems that quite a few want to continue to cruise at lower then ever rates, but don't want the cruise line to be profitable and successful on their dime. I spend less on a 7 day cruise today then I did 10 years ago, even with the price of beer, bingo, and pictures rising sharply. Have the announcements on board increased? I'm not sure because I'm too busy having fun.

You are not alone. My wife and I have not yet strayed from RCI, but we are seriously considering NCL for our next cruise. We like RCI, but it is getting hard to justify their considerably higher prices.

I do think that people should branch out and try other lines. In the last couple of years we have cruised with HAL once and NCL twice. Enjoyed all three cruises but I have to say that it made me appreciate RCI. HAL was just too old for us and while NCL may have had a little cheaper prices for the same accommodations as RCI by the time the week was over, we had spent more for on board charges. We did not even dine in the main dining room as the offerings on the menu did not look good. Our next door neighbors confirmed our fears and by day three, they were eating in the specialty dining rooms. Those seven nights added up quick.

In reading the replies to your post, I am shocked to find people disagreeing with you. We cruised on the Mariner in September, our 5th cruise on RC (and 1 other on Carnival.) I couldn't agree with you more. We spent our whole cruise saying how the little things have gone downhill. Nothing that will make me NOT cruise RC again, mind you, but enough so that we are looking at other options for our next one. Just the little things, like no more beach towels in the cabins, now you have to scan your card and check them out, fewer bath towels in general, smaller portions in DR and a slip in food quality, no more C & A gift, the terrible coupons books, etc. I know that people will flame that these things are "free", but really, they're not, compared to the product that RC has been selling for years. So, I completely understand your point of view. Also, we are being forced to look elsewhere if we want to bring our 3 y.o. daughter, as on RC it will cost over $1000 to bring her. Why is it that for 2 passengers, you can get a rate of, say, $529 but when you throw in a 3rd passenger, that rate disappears and the new rate is, say, $709 plus $499 for the 3rd passenger? Can anyone explain that, because my emails to RC on the subject have gone unanswered. Frustrating, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE RC and hate to see these changes.

I'm with you on this. Some people are satisfied with a Travelodge atmosphere, while others want something nicer. That's why Celebrity is my favorite. I prefer to spend a bit more and get more as a result. A cruise line that charges rock bottom prices is more likely to provide rock bottom amenities, and then charge extra for anything beyond that.

The more I read this board, the more concerned I am becoming about our upcoming Mariner cruise, our first with RCI, and this is because of the itinerary. It seems that it might be a more active and stimulating experience than I favor. I'm starting to think that Royal is the Kmart of the cruise industry, while I prefer Macy's. I hope I'm wrong, but the obsessive defending I see on this board that "Royal can't do anything wrong" is worrisome. If a person criticizes Royal they are instantly flamed and in many cases ridiculed and insulted. I hope, I really do, that the people I will meet on the Mariner are more mature than many I've run across on this board.

I completely agree with you. Here's the bottom line: if this is your very first cruise, or even your first with RC, you will not notice anything missing. However, past cruisers will.

I wouldn't call RC "Kmart", but it has become more like the "clearance rack" at Macy's.

That being said, we've sailed twice on Mariner, and you will love it. But to get back to the point of the OP, the quality of our cruise this year was vastly different than last year on the same ship.

I disagree about the coupon books being worthless. I tear out a page or two and they make great bookmarks.

Also who decided that beach towels should be roughly the size of the bath towels furnished at Motel 6.

I love RC, but those changes to the coupon books and the tiny beach towels do not make any sense at all.

Oh, the usual....the pictures, the drinks, the spa stuff, the wine packages, the water packages, the excursions, the juice packages...yadda yadda yadda. I felt like there was someone hawking something wherever I looked. And the coupon booklet?? What a joke. I have to spend $50 on a bottle of wine just to get a 10% discount on the next one. What happened to the 2 for 1 drink coupon? (and I'm not talking about milkshakes at Johnny Rockets either)

Have you ever heard of the words Thank you but No. I am not interested. No I really don't care to buy that. Already have too many glasses. I don't go to spas. Just say NO.

I disagree about the coupon books being worthless. I tear out a page or two and they make great bookmarks.

Also who decided that beach towels should be roughly the size of the bath towels furnished at Motel 6.

I love RC, but those changes to the coupon books and the tiny beach towels do not make any sense at all.

I agree the books are worthless but I do use the coupons every once in a while. RCI does need to come up with better deals with the coupons. I think all the passengers need to tell RCI we need better deals. As far as being loyal to royal I would cruise with them again. I still give them 7 out of 10 stars.

This is the way I feel. Royal Caribbean started with no combining of coupons and restricting the use of the stock purchase, next cruise and Rc coupons. They revised the coupon booklets, removed the chocolates from the pillows and then changed the diamond benefit for the concierge lounge benefits. First they stated it was due to not having the room for all, but after all the complaints they revised the benefit - but it will cost fof soda, beer and mixed drinks. It's amazing how they found the room to hold this nightly event when they are going to charging for some of the drinks. They also took away the snacks that used to be served during this time.

A number of years ago RC cruises were cheaper than Celebrity and Princess - now they are more expensive and you are not receiving the same service and benefits you did a couple of years ago.

I have a theory they reduced RC benefits in order to increase Celebrity benefits. Yes Celebrity has added benefits to their loyalty program.

I also cruise Princess and their loyalty benefits has actually increased this past year.

Yes I will consider RC for future cruises but if Celebrity or Princess is the same price RC will be at the bottom of my list.

Please I don't intend on offending anyone - this is my opinion.

all in all you need to do what you feel is best...we went on 4 straight RC cruises but since have been on 3 straight on other lines with another new on in a couple weeks. I like RC but wont know if its best for us without trying others out...we havent been let down by other lines but have liked a couple more and some less...

I am a Diamond-Plus member and have been on over 20 RCCL cruises. It was my preferred cruise line for many years, but no longer. Their cost cutting measures and decreased services makes RCCL no longer attractive to me.

I dislike their nickle-n-diming and I really dislike all the non-stop overhead announcements. I feel sad to leave RCCL, but I feel that they no longer fill my cruising needs. I now prefer Celebrity, and have a cruise booked on HAL and Cunard.

I knew the remark I made about PPV movies would get some snarky responses about why anyone would want to watch PPV on a cruise ship. I have not, nor do I ever intend upon, watching a lot of TV on vacation - especially when I have to pay for it. My point was that it was a ridiculous amount of $$ to pay, should I want to watch a PPV movie. How about the $15 for pressing my clothes when I don't have to worry about it on another cruise line?

My real dislike is over paying for the price of admission and then being charged for "options" after the fact. Is cruising cheaper than it was years ago - according to what the more experienced folks say, yes. Would I rather pay more up front than wonder what my tab will be at the end of the cruise? Absolutely. I didn't mind paying a few hundred bucks more up front because I knew I didn't have to worry about the 'options' later. (BTW, I miss the chocolates on my pillow and have been enjoying the posts on "Cruising...I remember when!) What works for some folks doesn't work for others. I'm just saying that what I saw on my last cruise did not work for me.

Yes, I will have to try another line to know for sure whether or not I want to continue giving Royal my business, but please bear in mind that I started this string by saying I've enjoyed them very much in the past. In no way was I blustering and mumbling about it being bad only to regret my decision to try something else and come running back to Royal.

So again, thank you for the many many comments and opinions. This has been an eye-opening experience for me.

If you don't like being charged for the options, don't use the options. Noboby makes you buy anything extra on the ship. I don't understand why a person would rather pay more up front. You don't have to wonder what the tab will be at the end of the cruise if you don't buy extras, if you do buy extras you get a reciept for your purchase, or you can follow the running tab on the TV. Do you worry about any extras that you may purchase when off the ship? I would assume you "budget" for these expenses, easy enough to do the same on the ship. Paying extra up front is not the answer, Why would I want to pay extra up front to cover the cost of drinks if I don't drink?If something costs extra, I want the opportunity to purchase it or not, it's all about choice!

You may be happier with another line, but I don't know of many that don't operate the same way RCI does. At any rate, enjoy whatever line you do decide on!

I'm like you, I really don't get why people make a fuss over things like this. It seems that quite a few want to continue to cruise at lower then ever rates, but don't want the cruise line to be profitable and successful on their dime. I spend less on a 7 day cruise today then I did 10 years ago, even with the price of beer, bingo, and pictures rising sharply. Have the announcements on board increased? I'm not sure because I'm too busy having fun.

A fuss?? I call it critiquing. This is Cruise CRITIC. I am a Royal shareholder and do want Royal to be profitable, just not irritable.

Archived