Emerald Ultimate Ship Tour??

lcumpire

There is another thread on here somewhere regarding this same question, apparently it is available on the Emerald. We are sailing her for Christmas this year, and this is something we are planning on doing. I have read the cost is $150 per person, it covers areas like stage productions, photo lab, engine room, galley and the bridge. I have read that some of the gifts that are received after completeing the tour are Stationary, terry bath robe, chef's jacket, photo souvaneirs. Sounds like it is interresting to say the least! Happy cruising!!!

I found the thread:

Ultimate Ship Tour it was worth every penny. As stated above, the cost is $150 per person. We went to the purser's desk the first day and signed up. There is a 12 person limit. If more people than that sign up, they do a drawing.

We started in the Princess Theater. The CD met us and explained much about the hiring process and about how crew was screened. We learned about the the crew's living conditions, and so much more. Then we were treated to a mock mini-production of about 5-7 min. The mikes were left on, so we could hear all the cues for the lights, sounds, and special effects. Quite interesting! Two of the dancers, the line captain, and the stage manager met with us and answered all our questions and took us on the backstage tour. We also visited the area where the anchor is kept while at sea. The navigation officer was there to answer a lot of our questions about the ship and how it works. We also visited the Print shop to see how all the Patters, and menus, etc. are printed. We also saw the Photo Shop, where all the pics taken everyday are edited and printed. The photographers explained the equipment and the process, plus answered questions. Another area we visited was the galley. We were greeted by the head chef and were offered champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. As we walked through the galley, we saw various cooks and sous chefs doing the prep for lunch. Then a lady took us down to see where they store all the food before it is needed by the galley staff. We learned all the ins and outs of food procurement and preparation on a cruise ship. We also visited the laundry where we got to see huge pressing machines that press and fold all the sheets, pillowcases, table linens, etc. We then got to see the area devoted to passenger clothing. Amazing! I want the machine they use to remove wrinkles from shirts, blouses, etc. Neat!

Another stop on the tour was the engine control room, where we received a very informative talk from another officer. No question was too dumb for them. No photos were allowed there for security reasons, but the ship's photographer who accompanied us took a group pic there. We got it for free.

We briefly went down to decks 2 & 3, and saw where the crew hang out and the officer's mess. We did not get to actually go into the crew area, since this is their area to escape from the passengers. (My words, not theirs!) Our visit to the Medical Center was cancelled because the doctor was swamped with passengers, even though it was outside office hours. It was to respect their privacy.

Our final stop was a trip to the bridge where Captain greeted us with canapes, and various drinks. He graciously spent about 40 minutes with us, chatting and posing for pics with each couple or individual. He got called away for an important conference call, so the second officer took over and explained all about life on the bridge and what happens there. Very interesting!

Now for the goodies!!! We each received a chef's white coat from the galley, a wonderful Princess bathrobe (sells for $90 in the boutique), free pictures that the ship's photographer had taken on the bridge, on the stage, in the engine control room, and with the Captain. The print shop delivered a thick notepad with personalized stationery (1.5-2 inches thick) for each of us.

We were allowed to take as many photos as we wanted in most areas. The only areas off-limits to photos were the engine control room and the bridge. Even on the bridge, we were allowed to take photos from a distance or out the windows or of the Captain, as long as we did not photograph any of the equipment and screens up close.

I

We were allowed to take as many photos as we wanted in most areas. The only areas off-limits to photos were the engine control room and the bridge. Even on the bridge, we were allowed to take photos from a distance or out the windows or of the Captain, as long as we did not photograph any of the equipment and screens up close.

The allowing of photographs on this tour is rare. Usually none are allowed except on the bridge. This may depend on the ship.

I found the thread:

Ultimate Ship Tour it was worth every penny. As stated above, the cost is $150 per person. We went to the purser's desk the first day and signed up. There is a 12 person limit. If more people than that sign up, they do a drawing.

We started in the Princess Theater. The CD met us and explained much about the hiring process and about how crew was screened. We learned about the the crew's living conditions, and so much more. Then we were treated to a mock mini-production of about 5-7 min. The mikes were left on, so we could hear all the cues for the lights, sounds, and special effects. Quite interesting! Two of the dancers, the line captain, and the stage manager met with us and answered all our questions and took us on the backstage tour. We also visited the area where the anchor is kept while at sea. The navigation officer was there to answer a lot of our questions about the ship and how it works. We also visited the Print shop to see how all the Patters, and menus, etc. are printed. We also saw the Photo Shop, where all the pics taken everyday are edited and printed. The photographers explained the equipment and the process, plus answered questions. Another area we visited was the galley. We were greeted by the head chef and were offered champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. As we walked through the galley, we saw various cooks and sous chefs doing the prep for lunch. Then a lady took us down to see where they store all the food before it is needed by the galley staff. We learned all the ins and outs of food procurement and preparation on a cruise ship. We also visited the laundry where we got to see huge pressing machines that press and fold all the sheets, pillowcases, table linens, etc. We then got to see the area devoted to passenger clothing. Amazing! I want the machine they use to remove wrinkles from shirts, blouses, etc. Neat!

Another stop on the tour was the engine control room, where we received a very informative talk from another officer. No question was too dumb for them. No photos were allowed there for security reasons, but the ship's photographer who accompanied us took a group pic there. We got it for free.

We briefly went down to decks 2 & 3, and saw where the crew hang out and the officer's mess. We did not get to actually go into the crew area, since this is their area to escape from the passengers. (My words, not theirs!) Our visit to the Medical Center was cancelled because the doctor was swamped with passengers, even though it was outside office hours. It was to respect their privacy.

Our final stop was a trip to the bridge where Captain greeted us with canapes, and various drinks. He graciously spent about 40 minutes with us, chatting and posing for pics with each couple or individual. He got called away for an important conference call, so the second officer took over and explained all about life on the bridge and what happens there. Very interesting!

Now for the goodies!!! We each received a chef's white coat from the galley, a wonderful Princess bathrobe (sells for $90 in the boutique), free pictures that the ship's photographer had taken on the bridge, on the stage, in the engine control room, and with the Captain. The print shop delivered a thick notepad with personalized stationery (1.5-2 inches thick) for each of us.

Thank you for the information. When I read this review I was not certain that it described the Emerald.

We are also looking forward to taking this Tour.

Enjoyed the Princess Patter comments aboard the Coral for the canal transit.

Day 1 - Tours of the bridge are unfortunately not alllowed for security reasons.

Day 2 - Ultimate ship tour avialiable for $140 - see the bridge, engine room, etc.

I'm so thankful the bad guys can't afford the $140 for the ultimate tour.

While I think it's fine Princess charges to see the bridge - I just think it silly how they handled the Patter text.

Archived