Dawn's Adrift!

Duff Man

This is insane. I have never sailed NCL and will NEVER sail NCL. I was comtemplating doing one to Hawaii, but NOT NOW! They could have at least made sure everyone had a decent (mid-priced) hotel room to stay in until air accomodations were made!!

Yeah.

placing 2500 people in hotels is just a piece of cake :rolleyes:

*sigh*

Oh, and I talked to my 85 year old father who is still on the boat with no A/C (it comes and goes), he still does not have a promise on when he will get home (likely Monday or Tuesday).

Why would you leave your 85 yr old father on the ship if you were able to get home? Why didn't you arrange flights for him too?:confused:

it isn't as much about what or what NCL didn't do, or how THEY handled things, but how each passenger did.

We were told by NCL (floor 7 Atrium front desk) would NOT be reimbursing us for our travels home that we needed to wait on the flights they would arrange for us. Nope, sorry! I don't really have another $1,000 to spend on travel but I could not wait on a wish and a dream I would be home Monday or Tuesday!

On another note, I am sorry to hear your 85yr old father is still sitting in the heat. I know I could not spend another night sleeping on the deck. BTW we shared lawn chairs with some nice people from the staff (Kids Club, Waitstaff, Guy from the Gym). I can only imagine the stress they are going through right now!

We were told by NCL (floor 7 Atrium front desk) would NOT be reimbursing us for our travels home that we needed to wait on the flights they would arrange for us. Nope, sorry! I don't really have another $1,000 to spend on travel but I could not wait on a wish and a dream I would be home Monday or Tuesday!

!

That doesn't change the fact that other passengers handled this a bit better.

Seriously, it's not what life throws at you, but how you deal with it that matters. If you read the OP's posts, you'll see that taking things in stride sometimes is better for you.

It's the same on every cruise board here...some people handle thinsg poorly, some get like raving maniacs and others laugh things off. Guess which passengers I'd choose to be like???????

I know darn well which passengers I'd want to sail with!

Hahah!! "Most" people is only if you were "gold, silver, or bronze" medallion. They flew 2-3 flights home today. Had another 3-4 scheduled for tomorrow. That left another 684 NOT on flights. No plans for future flights. As of when I left the ship at 2pm, they wouldn't send us to a hotel with AC and the power went out AGAIN when I was walking off the gangway (no idea how long it was out).

I seriously doubt you'd consider 2-3 flights of people "most".

Unless I missed it, yours was the first report that NCL was doing this. Don't read anything into that. I believe you.

It seems to me that since there were other passengers (who posted here) and said that NCL handled this well...none of them mentioning 'chaos', that it isn't as much about what or what NCL didn't do, or how THEY handled things, but how each passenger did.

I probably would be happy with the way it was handled if I had gotten a slip of paper in the morning saying that I was on List 1 or List 2 (this getting out today on one of their charters). I'd also wager that most of those who still don't have an answer on any charter plans after waiting in the front desk line 3 or 4 times (an hour each time) probably aren't too happy.

When the front desk suggests changing flights... then the staff says not to... then NCL doesn't come through with the 'promise' to get everyone back to Miami by the time they would have (Sunday 10:00ish)... that pretty much defines Chios.

I'll stand by my statement. They should have a set plan, like a fire drill, on how to handle these situations. How do they decide who gets back first. I don't care if I'm first or last, just let me know. The cost for those of us to return on our own wouldn't be much different than the cost per person to charter a plane.

Heck, even getting an adjustment on the wine we bought took 1.5 hrs. We paid for 8 bottles at the beginning of the cruise (my wife enjoys good wine), but didn't use two due to the dining situation (it wouldn't go with the buffet food in no A/C). The front desk said to go to any bar. The bar sent us to another bar. They called to find a bar manager. After getting to her, it took 30 minutes because she wasn't sure if she could do it. Someone should have the authority to deal with this in 5 minutes.

Why would you leave your 85 yr old father on the ship if you were able to get home? Why didn't you arrange flights for him too?:confused:

My father lives in Florida and we were flying to Michigan. When we left at noon, there were still vague promises that there would be more charter flights for all. I talked to him this evening... and he's stuck (with many others). At the time they also had indicated A/C was working and he was OK with another night on the boat (although he was packed and the room was already stripped).

My father lives in Florida and we were flying to Michigan. When we left at noon, there were still vague promises that there would be more charter flights for all. I talked to him this evening... and he's stuck (with many others). At the time they also had indicated A/C was working and he was OK with another night on the boat (although he was packed and the room was already stripped).

Leaving an elderly parent on a ship that you describe as "chaos" would not have been a choice I would have made. The fact that you were flying to a different state is irrelevant as you both would have been leaving from the same airport. An air conditioned hotel room or even an air conditioned airport terminal would be a better place than the "chaos" you report.

Actually the power outtage started on Thursday evening (Thanksgiving dinner) in the Aqua Dining room. Waiter told us the dinner would be delayed because the AC went out in the kitchen, no big deal. I figured it would run late because they were busy, holiday and all. About 20mins later we started to sweat (this was about 9pm). Halfway thru dinner, the fire alarms started going off, waiter told us there was no fire but when the kitchen gets a certain temp. they go off as a precautionary measure. Poor waiters and waitresses were dripping with sweat when they came out of the kitchen with food. I can only imagine the cooks!

One thing that has not been mentioned on the news or on this board is that they scheduled 7 chartered flights out of Puerto Rico, however, this was ONLY for their "gold, silver, bronze" members. It didn't matter if you have small children, if you were older, handicapped, if you had flights to catch.

It's BULLSH*T.

I stood in line in the Atrium for 1.5hrs only to find out I was not scheduled on a flight Sat or Sun, they wouldn't send us to a hotel in Puerto Rico for the night, and said MAYBE I could be flown home Monday or Tuesday while remaining on the ship. SERIOUSLY!!! My husband went online and scheduled flights out of our own pocket ($987) because I started to get claustrophobic and my 5year old daughter was hysterical.

I can say living in S. Florida for 31 yrs. and living through hurricanes Katrina, Wilma etc and not have power for weeks on end was the same thing I felt on that ship. Toilets that didn't flush, walking in other peoples waste on the floor, sleeping Friday night on the pool deck in a lawn chair because our room was 95+ degrees, no ice for hours at a time, eating BBQ on the grill for two days straight (grilled food that wasn't hot, cold food that was warm), the Atrium desk girls were clueless, we actually found out about getting 75% off our paid for cruise and 50% off a future cruise from the INTERNET because no one bothered to mention that to us at all!!

The first day I thought MAYBE NCL was making the best of a bad situation and I gave them the benefit of the doubt but this morning was chaos and they cared more about their appearance than about the poor people stuck on that ship.

Being a first time NCL cruiser I can guarantee you that I will NEVER be going again. Not even with my 50% off. Good luck future NCL people!

FWIW when ever i hear about any cruise being disrupted the same complaints are raised. The problem is not the crew, the problem is the behavior of the passengers. The quoted poster's name says it all . . . Highmaintenance . . . This is neither the time or place to be high maintenence.

Leaving an elderly parent on a ship that you describe as "chaos" would not have been a choice I would have made. The fact that you were flying to a different state is irrelevant as you both would have been leaving from the same airport. An air conditioned hotel room or even an air conditioned airport terminal would be a better place than the "chaos" you report.

Why are you picking him to death? You're so upset that he used the word "chaos" that you have to attack him personally?

Geeze have a little sympathy for the guy after the past couple of days he's had. You know nothing about him or his father. My 87 yr old Uncle is as strong as an Ox and sharp as a tack. He could probably endure the situation better than many half his age.

my father lives in florida and we were flying to michigan. When we left at noon, there were still vague promises that there would be more charter flights for all. I talked to him this evening... And he's stuck (with many others). At the time they also had indicated a/c was working and he was ok with another night on the boat (although he was packed and the room was already stripped).

me me me !!!!!!!!

Why are you picking him to death? You're so upset that he used the word "chaos" that you have to attack him personally?

Geeze have a little sympathy for the guy after the past couple of days he's had. You know nothing about him or his father. My 87 yr old Uncle is as strong as an Ox and sharp as a tack. He could probably endure the situation better than many half his age.

Attack him personally? Not at all. The story just doesn't make sense. He booked flights, then cancelled them, then rebooked them yet he is complaining about the price of 2 bottles of wine but not rebooking fees? He said his father had no a/c but then when asked there is a/c and he is fine. If someone can take an hour and a half waiting for a refund for 2 bottles of wine, you would think they could take equal time to get all their loved ones off the ship.

I also have older relatives that are strong in body and mind but I would still want to see them safely on their way.

People have different priorities......

He dared suggest their precious NCL screwed up - he will be attacked!

Attack him personally? Not at all. The story just doesn't make sense. He booked flights, then cancelled them, then rebooked them yet he is complaining about the price of 2 bottles of wine but not rebooking fees? He said his father had no a/c but then when asked there is a/c and he is fine. If someone can take an hour and a half waiting for a refund for 2 bottles of wine, you would think they could take equal time to get all their loved ones off the ship.

I also have older relatives that are strong in body and mind but I would still want to see them safely on their way.

People have different priorities......

My point exactly.

He dared suggest their precious NCL screwed up - he will be attacked!

My point exactly.

Sorry Simon, not my NCL. While I have considered sailing on NCL on multiple occasions, we have ended up with other plans.

I wouldn't doubt that NCL has handled this situation poorly for some travelers and perfectly for others. Trying to fly 2000+ people last minute on a holiday weekend must be a nightmare. I simply asked about the elderly parent that was left behind.

Sorry Simon, not my NCL. While I have considered sailing on NCL on multiple occasions, we have ended up with other plans.

I wouldn't doubt that NCL has handled this situation poorly for some travelers and perfectly for others. Trying to fly 2000+ people last minute on a holiday weekend must be a nightmare. I simply asked about the elderly parent that was left behind.

Why quotes around the word chaos?

I was booked on the 11/29 saling, and it was quite a shock to get that call this morning, especially being in miami already....But we were able to book a similar 5 day on RCCL leaving the 30th, and having 50% off a future NCL cruise will be nice...I am glad that I am lucky enough to be able to go with the flow on this, I xcan see how this would just suck for someeone who du to financial or time constrainst couldbnot be as flexible.....I reccomend to anyone who is having problems, or needs additional compensation WRITE WRITE WRITE.....the reservations agents can not help you, they are only allowed to do certain things....they had a bad day today too.

Life happens, some good some bad. I don't think in the many years I worked in an airport I have ever seen an airline be this generous due to a mechanical problem on an aircraft. You might get a $8 coupon for a meal and if you throw a fit loud enough maybe a nights hotel but not with a guarantee when you will get on the next flight.

People are forgetting this is happening during an already tapped out travel period since it is a holiday. The fact that NCL was able to get as many people in the air to Miami is a feat in itself.

Comments were made that travel arrangements were made for the members of the NCL Latitudes, the lines customer loyalty program before others. That is a good and wise business decision. The people that are brand loyal are the ones that pay the bills. They spend more and return. Absolutely a smart choice. Those that are not members are generally one time cruisers of the line, that look for cheapest deal and not likely to spend as much on board. It is hard to hear that because you probably saved and worked hard for the cruise. At the end of the day business is business. I am sure that NCL will gain new loyal passengers because of they way they did handle the situation..

The compensation is very fair. There was full use of the facilities for 7 of 9 days yet you are getting back 75% of your cost in addition to the 50% future cruise. If you are out expenses I am sure some of the 75% compensation should offset that considering the 7 days full use concept.

It is all in how you look at it. Half empty or half full ...

here is the Miami Herald Story

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1355795.html

a little confusing. I think they say CBP held some of the people on the ship for a while. You really can never tell what CBP will do. On my recent NCL cruise CBP changed the method of clearing foreign passengers apparently without notifing NCL of the change....

I also looked for video of passengers on the news and didn't find any at the south Florida stations. I would be interested in a link to what they are saying...

Thxs.

A reminder when the Dawn hit a rogue wave there were some very angry passengers who sued. They lost that lawsuit.

Is Norwegian not even paying for passenger's hotel rooms in San Juan or flights back to Miami??? What about the people who have to cancel flights or miss work?

That is why people should buy travel insurance, especially on very busy holiday weekends....

And frankly if your place of work can't live without you for a couple of days, whether they are sick or holiday days, you really shouldn't fly or sail to another country, again on very busy holiday weekends....

And as for hotel rooms in San Juan, its been my experience hotel rooms are usually nearly booked, the same for airline flights. I doubt whether there were 2500 hotel rooms vacant in San Juan. I wonder if there would have been that many rooms available in New York City either. I supposed some passengers could have bought tents from a store, but they would still be without their precious air conditioning...

One would think NCL did try to charter more aircraft to move the people faster to Miami on very short notice, but alas, this is a very busy holiday weekend. Unused airliners don't grow on trees either.

First let me express my sympathy to everyone, especially the folks who lost out totally on the 11/29 sailing.

Of couse this is just MY opinion take it as such:

NCL certainly didn't plan on the ship having any sort of problem and when this problem was realized from what I am reading here they took appropriate steps. ie. 75% off of a cruise you had already spent 7 days on and missed no ports. Yes your 2 sea days were lost, but again you had a 7 day cruise at the cost of 25% of what you originally paid, plus a 50% voucher to sail again in 2010. Some people complained that you could not get off the ship right away, understand this was for your safety. This was an "unplanned" stop so yes customs must clear the ship. They tried to accomodate everyone on a flight back to Miami, keeping in mind Holiday Weekend. I guess some people will not be happy regardless.

I agree with one other poster here about the airline. We were on a flight and had to make a connection in LA, when we got to LA they gave our seats away as we weren't there 2 hours before the flight. (we were in the air on their aircraft) could not check in. NO compensation offered or considered. We will TRY to get you on a flight. They just did not care, so I feel whatever is being offered is generous considering the contract.

Safe travels to all, and again this is just my opinion.

Tell you what, I don't mean to sound flip cause I know this has been hard for the passengers, but I'll take that deal any day. This was a 9 day cruise right? And you had 7 of the 9 days? Refunding 75% of the cruise cost plus the 50% off on the next cruise, and of course hotel in PR and airfare back to Miami is extremely generous in my opinon. I'm really shocked that they are compensating this much. Very glad for you!

CG

I know right, NCL could have been left them in San Juan with no hotel or flight back to Miami.

People are so ungrateful.

Waaaa, Waaaa, Whine and cruise, whine and cruise...

Americans are so funny,

Very bloated with entitlements!

Unlike the rest of the world...

According to what I read in my "Contract With The Carrier", NCL owed absolutley nothing, and don't try to tell me it will put them out of business if they don't give, they deal with the masses, and when it comes right down to it, money talks and bulldung walks..................

They're a good carrier and take good care of their passengers.:D

Archived