CruiseCare cost question

DLKC

Quick question - A little bit ago when I started to do our final pmt (due in a few days), it indicated an amount for adding CruiseCare but not sure if that means per person or per reservation. So I read about it on the RCCL website it lists the cost of CruiseCare "per cruise" but still it's not clear whether this is per person or per reservation number.

So I decided to put off making final pmt until I know more.

What can you tell me? Thanks.

OK, not sure if this will help or not - I just looked at a copy of my billing, and the cruise insurance is listed per person. However, on the RCL website it is listed as one lump sum for both of us.

I do know that it is based on the cost of the cruise. For a typical 7 day cruise, it should be somewhere around 60 to 70 per person, depending on your cruise cost it may be slightly more or slightly less.

Just be aware that if you are flying to the port and you did not purchase the flights through Royal Caribbean, and something happens...the insurance will not cover it.

I learned the hard way a few years ago when I trusted someone to add insurance to my booking and she only added "cruise insurance" to my booking. It was an expensive lesson to learn.

Since then, I started using private insurance companies like Travel Insured that cover the entire vacation and not just the cruise portion of it. :)

According to the RCL website they now cover independently booked air.......

------------------------------------------------------

CruiseCare Travel Insurance provides cancellation and interruption protection for independently reserved air, as well as coverages to protect you during your covered Trip, as follows:

Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air up to Total Original Airfare Cost.

Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Airup to 150% of Total Original Airfare Cost.

Trip Delay up to $500: If you miss the departure of your trip due to carrier-caused delays or other covered reasons, the plan reimburses you for additional accommodations, meals and "catch-up" transportation expenses.

Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost, stolen, or damaged, the plan will cover up to $1,500. If your bags are delayed or misdirected for more than 24 hours, the plan will reimburse you up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal items.

Just be aware that if you are flying to the port and you did not purchase the flights through Royal Caribbean, and something happens...the insurance will not cover it.

I learned the hard way a few years ago when I trusted someone to add insurance to my booking and she only added "cruise insurance" to my booking. It was an expensive lesson to learn.

Since then, I started using private insurance companies like Travel Insured that cover the entire vacation and not just the cruise portion of it. :)

Must have changed since you had it then.

PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if you are

prevented from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member's,

Traveling Companion's, or Business Partner's Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as

defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Cruise Vacation. The Sickness or Injury must:

a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) require the examination and treatment

by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of the

treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation.

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefits For Independently Booked Air

We will reimburse you, up to the amount in the Schedule for the amount of prepaid, non-refundable, and

unused Payments or Deposits

Post-Departure Trip Interruption For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if: 1) your

arrival on your Covered Cruise Vacation is delayed; or 2) you are unable to continue on your Covered Cruise Vacation after you have departed on your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate

Family Member's, Traveling Companion's, or Business Partner's Sickness, Injury, or death or Other

Covered Events as defined. For item 1) above, the Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your

coverage is in effect under the plan; b) for item 2) above, commence while you are on your Covered

Cruise Vacation and your coverage is in effect under the plan; and c) for both items 1) and 2) above,

require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is

interrupted or delayed; and d) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to delay

your arrival on your Covered Cruise Vacation or to prevent you from continuing your Covered Cruise

Vacation.

Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefits For Independently Booked Air

We will reimburse you, up to the amount in the Schedule, for the following: 1) the additional

transportation expenses by the most direct route from the point you interrupted your Covered Cruise

Vacation: (a) to the next scheduled destination where you can catch up to your Covered Cruise

Vacation; or (b) to the final destination of your Covered Cruise Vacation; 2) the additional transportation

expenses incurred by you by the most direct route to reach your original Covered Cruise Vacation

destination if you are delayed and leave after the Scheduled Departure Date. However, the benefit

payable under 1) and 2) above will not exceed the cost of a one-way economy air fare by the most direct

route, less any refunds paid or payable for your unused original tickets; 3) your additional cost as a result

of a change in the per person occupancy rate for prepaid travel arrangements if a Traveling Companion's

Covered Cruise Vacation is interrupted and your Covered Cruise Vacation is continued; 4) reasonable

additional accommodation and transportation expenses (up to $100 per day) incurred to remain near a

covered traveling Immediate Family Member or Traveling Companion who is hospitalized during your

Cruise Vacation.

Important: You, your Traveling Companion and Immediate Family Member booked to travel with you

must be medically capable of travel on the day you purchase this coverage. The covered reason for

cancellation or interruption of your Cruise Vacation must occur after your effective date of Trip

Cancellation coverage.

This is contrary to what is quoted in the Cruise Care booklet so I hope there has been a change since you had the issue. Under Part A. Travel Arrangement Protection it is clearly stated that up to the total cost of the original airfare for independently booked air will be covered for trip cancellation and post-departure trip interruption.

We nearly always use Cruise Care because it is usually much less expensive for us due to our ages. We have used both Travelguard and Access America in the past and had claims under both. I would recommend either of those as well.

When I booked my cancellation insurance with my TA she suggested that I also take what she called a "Rider" It cost $10.00 extra per person and it would cover us for any flight difficulties that we might encounter getting to the port or for any delays coming back even though we didnt book our flights through the TA or the cruiseline. Money well spent as far as I am concerned as it gives me peace of mind.

According to the RCL website they now cover independently booked air.......

Must have changed since you had it then.

This is contrary to what is quoted in the Cruise Care booklet so I hope there has been a change since you had the issue.

THANKS! No I didn't notice that change. When I needed to use the cruise insurance it was on a Disney cruise and it was Access America. Since then, I haven't trusted any other cruise line insurance.

That is good to know!!!! Thanks for the clarification. :D

Archived