Denali Shuttle Question

DD

If you reserve a shuttle to Kantishna, can you, on the day of the tour, decide that you only want to go as far as Wonder Lake or Eielson? In other words, are you locked into the exact destination that you purchase?

We have a few days, and I'm not sure how far into the park we want to go on each day. There's a very small price difference between Wonder Lake and Kantishna, and for that matter, Eielson is only $15 less per person than Kantishna. If I buy Kantishna tickets for each day, can I make up my mind on the day that I use them as far as which destination I want to visit? Are they the same busses for each destination, or is it a dedicated bus per destination?

The shuttle buses are not really "tours" though most all shuttle drivers provide commentary.

No you are not locked into the destination. You can get off and on any other green (shuttle or camper) bus at will west of mile 20 and can travel in either direction up to the point indicated on your ticket.

Not much between Wonder Lake and Kantishna except great views of Mt. McKinley if it is "out."

They are not the same buses to each destination, but the buses to the further destinations pass the other destinations since there is only one road in and the same road out :)

You aren't locked on the bus. You can ask the driver to stop just about anywhere and get down off the bus. To return you just cross the road and wait for the next bus that has enough seats on it for your party. You can also get down off the bus, take photos for a while and then get on the next bus going where you want to go if you want to ride further down the road.

Most people don't get off the bus other than at the scheduled stops.

For some people, riding the whole route is just too much bus time. So you over pay a little bit but just consider it a donation to the Park.

You can ask the driver about the seeing conditions for Denal after you've been on the bus for a good whilei. They all have a good idea how things are going. If it is a really good seeing day, the drivers all will be happy and glad to show it off.

There are significant differences between Kantishan and Wonder Lake shuttle buses. Kantishna is mostly all private property. If you aren't staying at a lodge, you basically get off the bus, during the "wait" return time, and get back on. You aren't supposed to "trespass". This bus also bypasses the Wonder Lake "fork" so if you want to go to Wonder Lake, you have a LONG walk to those shuttle bus stops. The bus does NOT do this fork. Take a look at a map.

Yes if you purchase the Kantishna shuttle bus ticket, you can go to Wonder Lake, BUT, you either have to walk there/back, between the buses. IF you want to go to the campground, Wonder Lake, Reflection Pond etc. and get to the repective bus stops, along the road. They are two difference buses.

IF you are going in for 2 days, you actually have a third day free, so consider that as well. IF intent on going to Kantishna, then I would fly in/out one of the days, adding to your touring. Wildlife significantly drops off a little past Eielson, consistantly so over many years.

Yes if you purchase the Kantishna shuttle bus ticket, you can go to Wonder Lake, BUT, you either have to walk there/back, between the buses. IF you want to go to the campground, Wonder Lake, Reflection Pond etc. and get to the repective bus stops, along the road. They are two difference (sic) buses.

The Wonder Lake shuttle bus goes to the campground and to only a very small edge of Wonder Lake. Actually, the Kantishna bus passes Reflection Pond, NOT the Wonder Lake bus.

Also, the Kantishna bus gives a much better perspective of Wonder Lake including photo ops of the lake with or without the Mountain.

Neither is "right" nor "wrong", just different. Yes, a lot of Kantishna is private property but there is still lots of public area near there and some decent hikes if interested. Backcountry camping is also allowed in some of this area.

Wildlife significantly drops off a little past Eielson, consistantly (sic) so over many years.

That is a personal opinion from someone who readily admits not having been there for several years and who says she never goes past Eielson before mid August, well late into the season. I must disagree with this statement. Have seen moose, caribou, wolf, lynx, bear and more between Eielson and Wonder Lake, especially moose repeatedly. Not trying to offend anyone or step on their toes, just trying to give accurate information, which I know is desired here.

The Wonder Lake shuttle bus goes to the campground and to only a very small edge of Wonder Lake. Actually, the Kantishna bus passes Reflection Pond, NOT the Wonder Lake bus.

Also, the Kantishna bus gives a much better perspective of Wonder Lake including photo ops of the lake with or without the Mountain.

Neither is "right" nor "wrong", just different. Yes, a lot of Kantishna is private property but there is still lots of public area near there and some decent hikes if interested. Backcountry camping is also allowed in some of this area.

That is a personal opinion from someone who readily admits not having been there for several years and who says she never goes past Eielson before mid August, well late into the season. I must disagree with this statement. Have seen moose, caribou, wolf, lynx, bear and more between Eielson and Wonder Lake, especially moose repeatedly. Not trying to offend anyone or step on their toes, just trying to give accurate information, which I know is desired here.

My point is to look at a map, these are two different bus routes, and yes I know the Kantishan bus, gets closer to Wonder Lake, the reason, I suggest to look at a map.

I have a long time friend who has driven the Denali Park Wonder Lake bus, just about EVERY day, the last few years, including the entire 2009 season. This is direct information I specifically got DIRECT from him, and will continue to post. So your point that I haven't been there, isn't even valid, if based on a couple potential trips, I may have taken anyway. This is general information, and the beauty of Denali park is there is no way to predict, and every trip a gift of what you see. It's what keeps people coming back. I'll likely be going in three times next year, and I fully expect the sightings will be very different each day.

This is general information, and the beauty of Denali park is there is no way to predict, and every trip a gift of what you see. It's what keeps people coming back. I'll likely be going in three times next year, and I fully expect the sightings will be very different each day.

True, but when someone posts "wildlife significantly drops off a little after Eielson" without the caveat I quoted from you above, I think you are doing a disservice to people. Your clarification should be included in other posts in the future--just a suggestion. Wildlife sightings may significantly drop off after Eielson but then there have also been reports on this board of those going only to Eielson and seeing little or no wildlife either.

has driven the Denali Park Wonder Lake bus, just about EVERY day, the last few years, including the entire 2009 season.

:confused:. All the drivers to Wonder Lake who I have met only drive max four times a week (this is already pushing 48 hours/week work time), but I am not interested in arguing. Done with this thread.

BQ, would you please clarify what you mean here: Yes if you purchase the Kantishna shuttle bus ticket, you can go to Wonder Lake, BUT, you either have to walk there/back, between the buses. IF you want to go to the campground, Wonder Lake, Reflection Pond etc. and get to the repective bus stops, along the road. They are two difference buses.

I'm not following the sentence starting with IF. I'm a little fuzzy on how Wonder Lake & Reflection Pond fit into the scheme of things. Thanks!

DD, can you GOOGLE up a map? That will explain a great deal. There is a lot of territory out there and most visitors don't want to walk on their own out of fear of the wilderness or just fear of getting lost.

As I set up camp at Wonder Lake and had the experience of being there when the mountain was OUT and also being there when the weather went suddenly to wet and windy; I can see a lot of sides to this discussion.

but now you've got me day dreaming over the Denali map. I can spend days over a good map. I can't walk as far or as fast as I used to do; so now have to be selective.

Of all of Denali, I love Polychrome Pass the most. Just can't get enough of it.

Thank you for sharing!

Archived