Cunard's QUEEN VICTORIA... An Autumn Cruise in the Rain and Wind...

pepperrn

Why compare QV with QM2 , )

Why not compare them? If I decide one day to sail with P&O, I would very much like to know before booking the difference in their ships

However the picture of the Britannia restaurant is, in my mind a serious distortion. Nowhere did we see ' on every table' 2 litre plastic bottles of water.(check it is 1.5 litres not 2).

I was on the same cruise as the OP (Gallic Getaway 2 on 22nd October) and I can confirm that there was indeed big plastic bottles of water on every table in the Britannia (upper level in my case).

I can also confirm that there were delays in the ocean terminal. We arrived at the time suggested by Cunard and it took nearly 2 hours before we actually boarded the ship.

I was on the same cruise as the OP (Gallic Getaway 2 on 22nd October) and I can confirm that there was indeed big plastic bottles of water on every table in the Britannia (upper level in my case).

Perhaps they are taking note of comments - they seemed to be down to 1.5 litre glass bottles on our recent trip - our waiter (almost apologetically) asked if we wanted it & when we said no, iced water please, it went away, never to be seen on our table again:). (this was upper deck Britannia)

Great review Pepper - wish I'd had enough time to read it while onboard, but those free internet minutes disappear so quickly:D

...and well worth the wait! Thank you so much for a lovely read, an exhaustive review, and wonderful photographs to boot! I am now actually looking forward to discover this lovely ship. And let me confess that I actually carry with me your excellent review of QM2 each and every time I sail with her! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thank you. I am sorry about the wait, it was ready for posting a few days after the end of the cruise but, unfortunately, a personal issue intervened, not connected with the internet, and I felt unable to post it until ten days ago. My apologies.

Thank you also for the lovely comments about my pictures of QV. I hope that these pictures of various Cunard ships are useful to prospective passengers (I take photos of family and friends when on board as well but, out of respect for their privacy, would never post personal pictures on a public site).

I am glad to hear you are looking forward to a voyage on QV. She has some splendid rooms and a great atmosphere and makes a wonderful cruise ship. I am certain you will have a fantastic time on this her. Please let me know how you get on.

My QM2 review! I am honoured that you still have it! Seems so long ago now! That was supposed to be a “one off” trip! However, I have had several more on QM2 since then, and on QE2 and now QV. I have more long voyages booked on QM2 in 2010, including taking my parents to New York and on QE in 2011.

Once again, my most sincere thanks.

Thank you for that Pepperrn. Well done! I can see why it’s taken a month to appear.

As I said above, my apologies for the delay in posting the review, it could not be helped. Thanks for understanding.

As you know, I was on this same trip. The ocean terminal must have been in chaos all afternoon because we arrived at 1.00pm (as requested on our Cunard documents) but we didn’t board till about 2.45pm.

Now that is interesting news. I am so sorry you had the same problems I had and hope that it did not spoil the four night/five day cruise.

At least we didn’t have to remove our shoes!

We also did a WOW when entering the Commodore Club for the first time, but were disappointed with the Queens Room after the one on the QM2. One thing I forgot to mention in my “Comparisons” thread a few weeks ago was the beautiful curtains in our balcony room on the QV - really thick and luxurious. Funny, but we never felt any movement on the ship like you did on the last day. It seems we have been doing similar trips to you as were also on the QM2 in July in Cherbourg and also Hamburg last year.

We really should meet up next time!

The Cherbourg voyage that I was on, was a taster trip for my parents; I paid for their tickets as a gift, as they were not sure if they would feel happy on a large ship. They loved her so much that I am taking them on QM2 again next year, this time on a crossing. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed their company during our time together on this magnificent ship.

The Hamburg voyage that I took was also a taster, this time for eleven of my friends and me. Only I had been on QM2 before, one other of the group had been on Cunard Countess; all the others were novices to passenger ships. I encouraged eleven friends of mine to book a trip together on QM2 and since that voyage; six of them have re-booked cruises on her! Interestingly, several senior staff on board told us that it’s unusual for twelve friends to book together, usually only extended families or members of clubs do that.

Thank you once again for the comments, good of you.

Thank you very much Pepperrn- what a good read. I enjoyed the photos very much too. You haven't put me off my hope that one day, we'll sail on QV - just love QM2 too much though

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed reading about my time on QV and liked the photos. As I said, and like you, my first love is QM2. I liked QV a lot and have no hesitation in recommending her to others. It might help if you have not been on QM2 first however! She spoils you!

Thank you again.

Pepperrn, What lovely reviews of both Cunard ships, l almost felt as though l was on board! I now have to choose which ship to enjoy for our anniversary next year. As it is a special celebration l am now hoping to convince my better half that we should try both!

Thank you specialcruisegirl.

I should try both! They are different and each have their own character, good points and bad. Of course the type of voyage you want to have; crossing or cruise, and, if a cruise, the route and posts of call, will also be a factor to consider. Maybe a crossing of the Atlantic on QM2 (my personal favourite) and a cruise on QV would tick all the boxes? I have to say that my personal preference, as I said in the QV post, is for QM2, there is no ship like her.

Thank you also for your generous comments about both reviews, you really are most kind. The QM2 one seems so long ago now! I also wrote down my thoughts about my other voyages and may post them on-line soon; a trip on QE2, a cruise in the Caribbean on QM2 and other cruises on QM2 taken with family and friends.

Can I wish you (and your better half!) congratulations on your special anniversary!

With thanks again, whatever you decide, Bon Voyage!

Excellent!! i would like to try QV. but probably won't do so for a while. thank you, and glad you had a great time!

Huge thanks for that. Try QV when you can, I am sure you will be impressed with large parts of her. Thank you, yes I had a great time.

Thank you very much for the comment!

Thank you for a great review - it should be very useful before my first QV trip which is coming up very fast. Fascinating stuff.

Thank you, I think your first trip on QV is a crossing in January? After the recent voyage, that capnpugwash related in his excellent crossing blog, with force 10 gales, I found myself thinking how QV would cope? If you are lucky, you may get something similar; let me know how she handles such a storm.

When I have been in force 10 and above in the past it was on very much smaller ships.

However, I have to say, in all my many hundreds and hundreds of days at sea, I can count the number of good storms on the fingers of one hand.

All the others; just “storms”.

Have a memorable time, let me know your thoughts about her.

Thanks again, very best wishes and Bon Voyage!

Oh, Pepper!!!! You have done it again! You have written another amazing review. I am astounded by the great detail in which you write about the Queen Victoria. No wonder it has taken you a month to complete your review. But it was certainly well worth the wait.

Thank you, thank you. As I said above, personal events delayed the posting until last week, sorry

You have presented a very balanced review. After reading this, I can just imagine how lovely the theater, the Commodore Club and the library must be. Your writing makes me feel like I am exploring the ship with you.

What a wonderful comment! Thank you. That is what I am aiming for. Useful information for someone who is thinking of taking a trip on her and wants to know what to expect. Past passengers may feel they know the ship and her layout; prospective passengers may not. If I can help, in a small way, to assist people to visualise the ship before boarding then there is nothing wrong with that.

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of the Queen Victoria with all of us. Your photographs are excellent, as always. They are the perfect accompaniment to your review.

Thank you. I am very flattered that you liked enjoyed them so much. I do take many more, of course, than I post on-line. However, no one but my travelling companions or I want to see personal pictures, so I keep them private. I concentrate on taking pictures of the ship that I am on so that, hopefully, people can see how good, or bad, it is.

Moreover, this approach seems to be popular, almost 150,000 hits so far with over 16,000 on the QV pictures alone. I can remember, way back when my page of photos had very few hits, under 30,000. I am very honoured that they have generated such a level of interest.

I know that many members of Cruise Critic will find this review extremely helpful as they consider sailing on the Queen Victoria or as they prepare for their voyage on her.Beth

Thank you Beth, thank you. I do so hope our paths cross again one day soon. Very best wishes.

Pepper, as you know, I thoroughly enjoyed your review and am so happy that you decided to post it here. It's a delight to have a review from someone as perceptive and articulate as you. Thanks . . . .

Thank you, I do try to notice details, good and bad and in addition, if I can, describe them. I hope that it will help people to decide whether or not to book a voyage on her.

Thank you for your flattering comments, very, very kind of you.

Well Pepper,you have done it again. This is without a doubt the most definitive review and introduction to QV that anyone could hope for. How easy you make it for readers to "stroll" along with you, feeling as tho they were there, discovering along with you what so many have found appealing about QV.

Thank you, very kind of you.

You have a unique talent for describing detail on a ship, and then offer it in such an entertaining, articulate manner....when one finishes you wish it hadn't ended. There are passengers who can go on the same ship many times and never capture the essence of it as you are able to do in one voyage....truly a gift and one few can match.

Wow! Thank you so very much for those flattering comments. I do keep my eyes open, take loads of pictures (only a few of which I post on-line) and, once a day during the voyage, write some quick notes as an aide-memoire.

I know how much time and effort you put into making this an objective review, and as others before me have said, it was more than worth the wait. Just as I did with your review of QM2 on my first trip, I have no doubt that copies of this will go with CCers onboard QV and make their discovery of her even more enjoyable. You have raised the bar many notches with this....thank you again for making the decision to share. Pity about Bruges....all that chocolate.... Cheers, Penny

Thank you, thank you. Yes, missing Bruges was a pity, esp. as the weather was so good that day. Thanks again. In addition, thanks for proofreading!

Many thanks for the first rate review Pepper. Much of it accords fully with my own view of the ship. J

Thank you, as your posts are so informative and your opinions well respected on CC, I am flattered that we largely agree about QV.

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Pepper-

Many hearty thanks for the wonderful report. I quite literally felt as though we were walking around the ship together. I could smell the sea, hear the delightful chatter of our fellow passengers, and hear their echoing footfalls through the ship.

While QM2 certainly has my attention, and will be my first Cunarder, Vicky sounds delightful and after reading this, I shall not rule her out.

You could take this report, tied together with your stunning photos and sell them as a vacation for those without the benefit of time.

Thank you very much, I enjoyed the read tremendously.

Cheers,

Zoo

Pepper- Many hearty thanks for the wonderful report. I quite literally felt as though we were walking around the ship together. I could smell the sea, hear the delightful chatter of our fellow passengers, and hear their echoing footfalls through the ship. While QM2 certainly has my attention, and will be my first Cunarder, Vicky sounds delightful and after reading this, I shall not rule her out. You could take this report, tied together with your stunning photos and sell them as a vacation for those without the benefit of time. Thank you very much, I enjoyed the read tremendously. Cheers, Zoo

Zoo, many, many thanks for your most flattering comments. If I was able to give you a virtual tour of QV (with the aid of my photos) then I’m very pleased indeed. You should take voyages on both QM2 and QV as soon as you can, you won’t regret boarding either I’m sure. I am so glad you enjoyed the read!

Once again, thank you most sincerely for your very kind post.

Thanks Pepper - your review might encourage me to try a trip on Vicky!

Thank you; at some stage, you should try QV and QM2. Neither will be like your much-missed QE2 of course, but, when you can, you should give both of them a chance, QM2 on a crossing, QV for a cruise. Make up your own mind about these two latest additions to Cunard’s long history. I was more impressed with QV than I thought I would be, but my favourite will always be her big sister. However, many people here, me included, would value your views on either.

Thanks again, very best wishes.

Pepper, great stuff as ever

Thank you capnpugwash, so very glad you liked it. Can I take this opportunity to say again, how much I enjoyed your recent blog from your transatlantic voyage on QM2. Your posts were witty and informative, and I looked forward, each day, to reading your next post on your thread.

Thank you once again.

This isn't a revue, it's a novel! We have booked a Q5 for a 5-day voyage in May, at the aft of the ship, so I must remember to look up from the balcony to see who's observing us. I decided to try an expensive cabin for a short trip rather than a cheaper one for a long trip. I'll re-read this revue before we go to see how it compares with a Queens Grill experience.

Thank you for your comments. I really hope that your experience in Queens Grill on QV is everything you want it to be and more! Let us know when you return.

Bon Voyage! Moreover, many thanks.

Hi J. And “yuletide felicitations” from the Grey Funnel Line (long Rtd) to all members (serving or otherwise) of the PBI.

OI! You two, what about us Red Duster Wallahs? We are, as they say, 'of Merchantable Quality'.

A Left-Out Gari

OI! You two, what about us Red Duster Wallahs? We are, as they say, 'of Merchantable Quality'.

That you are, and where would we, in this scepter’d isle, be without ships that proudly sail under the Red Duster (incl the ones talked about here)?

A Left-Out Gari

I thought you were a Far-Out Gari?

From a right-on

Archived