Cunard's QUEEN VICTORIA... An Autumn Cruise in the Rain and Wind...

pepperrn

Absolutely wonderful write up and photos. I really do appreciate your point of view as I crossed on the QE2 back in her prime when she was all Cunard all the time.

Hi, thank you for your very kind comment, I’m interested to hear that you crossed on QE2, I wish did when I had the chance. Still, I love the QM2 and will cross on her again many times. Glad you liked the photos. You are lucky to have great memories of a such an historic ship.

Thank you again,

Yes, quite agree about the PG champagne bar. On our first trip on QE2 we went PG and almost every evening we went via this wee bar and stopped for a glass of fizz. During that 2 weeks, we never saw another soul in the bar. It was as if it was your own private domain. Stewart

Hi Stewart. Yes, a special bar indeed. Before I boarded I’d seen pictures (that made the room look bigger than it was in reality) and read what others had said about the atmosphere in there. I couldn’t wait to see it for myself. I was interested to read of your memories of QE2.

I feel sorry for those who missed the chance to take a voyage on QE2 and experience her for themselves.

I think I’m right in saying that the Princess Grill and the PG Bar have, over the years, not always been in use? Is it right that they have been used for storage or just closed for periods of time? Or have I got that wrong? I can’t remember where I read that now!

Thanks for your comment and an early Happy New Year to you and CC!

• 5 months later...

For those who plan to sail on the QV soon, this is an excellent and very detailed review of the ship. Also look in Pepper's signature and you will find a link to his review of his QM2 transatlantic voyage and also his lovely photos.

For those who plan to sail on the QV soon, this is an excellent and very detailed review of the ship. Also look in Pepper's signature and you will find a link to his review of his QM2 transatlantic voyage and also his lovely photos.

Absolutely spot on to bring this up again. A must read for all who are sailing for the first time on either ship.

Thank you Beth, you are so generous, and I am very grateful. I hope the photos help people see what to expect on board before they take their own voyage.

Thanks once more, very best wishes to you both,

Absolutely spot on to bring this up again. A must read for all who are sailing for the first time on either ship.

Thank you MsDeva, I am so glad you liked my thoughts on both the QM2 and the QV. They are great ships and I feel lucky to have sailed on both (and the QE2). I am looking forward to all my future crossings and cruises on the QM2

Very best wishes and my sincere thanks,

• 2 years later...

Pepper, thanks for an excellent review.

My wife and I are booked on the QV cruise you took to Amsterdam ( a city we love!).

We sail on August 24th for four nights and this is very much a taster as we have never cruised before and decided to try a short cruise first before planning a long one.

These forums are "gold" for first timers and I have learned so much from reading them, especially people like yourself who are prepared to spend a lot of time giving extensive information.

If we like cruising we will be going on the QM next!!!

Can you answer a query? We have an embarkation time of 3pm but living on the Isle of Wight would like to Embark as early as possible. If you turn up early does it cause a problem or can you go earlier?

What would you advise?

Thanks again

Bill

Pepper, thanks for an excellent review. My wife and I are booked on the QV cruise you took to Amsterdam ( a city we love!). We sail on August 24th for four nights and this is very much a taster as we have never cruised before and decided to try a short cruise first before planning a long one. These forums are "gold" for first timers and I have learned so much from reading them, especially people like yourself who are prepared to spend a lot of time giving extensive information. If we like cruising we will be going on the QM next!!! Can you answer a query? We have an embarkation time of 3pm but living on the Isle of Wight would like to Embark as early as possible. If you turn up early does it cause a problem or can you go earlier? What would you advise? Thanks again Bill

Thank you for your very kind words :o .

To answer your question, try to arrive at the terminal around 11.00-11.30. Although you'll have to wait (maybe an hour to an hour and a half) you'll be amongst the first (after priority boarding passengers) to board. You do not have to wait until the suggested time. The advantage of boarding early is having lunch on board and a good explore before lifeboat drill.

Please ask if you've further questions. I agree about these boards being very useful, I found them very helpful years ago and like to return the favour and help out where I can.

My favourite ship remains the Queen Mary 2, if you enjoy QV, do try a crossing to New York on her. There are photos of the interiors of QV, QM2 and QE, via the link below.

Have a great time, a fantastic cruise, enjoy QV very much, thanks again, Bon Voyage! :) .

Thank you for your very kind words :o .

To answer your question, try to arrive at the terminal around 11.00-11.30. Although you'll have to wait (maybe an hour to an hour and a half) you'll be amongst the first (after priority boarding passengers) to board. You do not have to wait until the suggested time. The advantage of boarding early is having lunch on board and a good explore before lifeboat drill.

Please ask if you've further questions. I agree about these boards being very useful, I found them very helpful years ago and like to return the favour and help out where I can.

My favourite ship remains the Queen Mary 2, if you enjoy QV, do try a crossing to New York on her. There are photos of the interiors of QV, QM2 and QE, via the link below.

Have a great time, a fantastic cruise, enjoy QV very much, thanks again, Bon Voyage! :) .

Do platinum and diamond WC members actually get priority embarkation over other passengers or is being given a boarding time of 12 noon all it entails?

Have you written a review yet of your recent QE voyage?

Do platinum and diamond WC members actually get priority embarkation over other passengers or is being given a boarding time of 12 noon all it entails?

My recent experience on QV was that QG and PG board first, followed by diamond and platinum; I assume this was typical?

Mary

My recent experience on QV was that QG and PG board first, followed by diamond and platinum; I assume this was typical?

Mary

Okay thanks. I just wondered how they knew when you arrive because all they ask is "are you Britannia or Grills?". I've never known them ask ones WC status.

I know that QG and PG have their own check-in desk, but do platinum & diamond or do they just get given the cards that are called first?

Okay thanks. I just wondered how they knew when you arrive because all they ask is "are you Britannia or Grills?". I've never known them ask ones WC status. I know that QG and PG have their own check-in desk, but do platinum & diamond or do they just get given the cards that are called first?

Hi Ray66,

Turning up at the terminal at around 11.15, I've experienced different approaches to boarding as a "priority" passenger...

Although being shown to the same desks as "Grill" passengers on arrival, sometimes I've been given a number, sometimes not. After check-in there was no separation between Grill and Platinum/Diamond passengers. If numbers were handed out, then they invited "priority" passengers forward in small groups, seemingly regardless of cabin grade or priority status. If no numbers were given out, then it was a free-for-all, and a general stampede. I've experienced both types of boarding on occasions.

On one occasion (where no numbers had been given) I saw a short, fierce-looking, well-dressed, elderly lady (with "Acid Raine" hairstyle and husband in tow carrying many bags), whom I had seen check-in as "Grills", jump up when they annouced they were ready to board. Instead of going up and down the little roped-off "snake" walkways that you find just before security, and taking her turn, she undid the catches on the poles to create her own walkway straight across the rows to the door to security. She left people in the newly-made loops, that she had created, unsure what to do. Chaos! She elbowed anyone in her way and shouted to her husband to "catch-up". By time the staff had seen what she had done, she was on the "sky-bridge" to the ship!

Maybe on occasions they do board with more order as Mary has suggested, but I've never seen this.

If one arrived as a "priority" later in the afternoon I presume you'd be sent straight on board with no waiting at all, with the other passengers. As I never arrived later than 12 noon, I don't know about this, sorry.

I've not written about QE yet, but will soon, thanks for asking.

Best wishes, hope this helps.

Hi Ray66,

If numbers were handed out, then they invited "priority" passengers forward in small groups, seemingly regardless of cabin grade or priority status. If no numbers were given out, then it was a free-for-all, and a general stampede. I've experienced both types of boarding on occasions.

Our experience was no numbers handed out AND a general stampede:D. Thee was no official announcement, a lady simply appeared near the end of our aisle and muttered something about Grills passengers being able to board; only those with very good hearing had a clue what was going on.

It seemed rather shambolic, so hopefully not typical.

Mary

Pepper, thanks for an excellent review.

My wife and I are booked on the QV cruise you took to Amsterdam ( a city we love!).

We sail on August 24th for four nights and this is very much a taster as we have never cruised before and decided to try a short cruise first before planning a long one.

These forums are "gold" for first timers and I have learned so much from reading them, especially people like yourself who are prepared to spend a lot of time giving extensive information.

If we like cruising we will be going on the QM next!!!

Can you answer a query? We have an embarkation time of 3pm but living on the Isle of Wight would like to Embark as early as possible. If you turn up early does it cause a problem or can you go earlier?

What would you advise?

Thanks again

Bill

Pepper and others have answered your question well already and I would like to warn you against forming any negative opinions of Cunard by what you experience on this 4 day sampler. For some unknown reason the experience on short trips is seldom a true reflection of what will happen on longer trips. It may be that the passenger mix is different and that they tend to be viewed as booze cruises, I really don't know and it is a pity because like you this is often people's first taste of this line. At least you will be forewarned about this possibility.

Thanks Cap,n......

Hopefully we might not have the booze cruise to contend with, but appreciate your warning.

Would have never occured to me that the cruisers could vary in age etc due to the length of the cruise, but I can see the reasoning behind your comments.

Bill

Archived