Refridgerators for medications?

chitowncruiser23

Hi everyone! My DH and I will be on the Pearl in less than two weeks :D

I don't post much on this board, but I have lurked for awhile so I want to thank everyone who posts here because I have gotten some great advice and I know our upcoming cruise will be great!

Anyways, my actual question is about the mini refrigerators in the balcony rooms.....when we were on Carnival we had a fridge but it didn't get very cold at all. Is it the same way on NCL? The reason I'm asking is because DH is diabetic and refrigerates his insulin. He'll want to keep his medication in the room so does any diabetics have any experience w/ this? Are the refrigerators cold enough? Maybe we could keep it in the refrigerator, but in the ice box to keep it extra cold? Let me know if anyone could give me some insight please?

TIA and I'll be back after my cruise to give our review :)

Edit: sorry that I misspelled refrigerators in the title....

All the Jewel class ships have the mini fridge in the room (including Pearl). the temperature varies widely based on our past experience. If temperature is important, bring a small thermometer... 3-5 bucks at walmart. there MIGHT be an adjustment. You could also put some ice in there to help it out. Bring some zip lock bags for that.

Are the refrigerators cold enough? Maybe we could keep it in the refrigerator, but in the ice box to keep it extra cold? Let me know if anyone could give me some insight please?

That's exactly what I do. Well, okay, I do it for my beer which I like icy cold. There is nothing like sitting on the quiet balcony at the end of the day with an icy cold one.:o

Reguardless it works well.:D

Hi,

We just got off the Pearl on Saturday. My son and I are both diabetic and had our insulin in our mini fridges. The temp was fine in both cabins for it, as well as for keeping those extra beers when you buy a bucket! (and two glasses of juice from the breakfast buffet in case I went low over night).

Just ask your room steward to empty it as soon as you get on because it is filled with the typical mini-bar stuff.

Deb

Hi,

We just got off the Pearl on Saturday. My son and I are both diabetic and had our insulin in our mini fridges. The temp was fine in both cabins for it, as well as for keeping those extra beers when you buy a bucket! (and two glasses of juice from the breakfast buffet in case I went low over night).

Just ask your room steward to empty it as soon as you get on because it is filled with the typical mini-bar stuff.

Deb

This is what we did on the Pearl last year. My FIL had the room steward remove all the stuff from the mini fridge. It seemed to keep his insulin perfectly along with the juices. Our steward even brought him one of the little biohazard containers for his needles. Just ask, they'll help you out.

You will love the Pearl, we did. :)

You can request a Sharps container for your syringes and leave on the desk during the cruise. When you use it the last time, seal the lid shut and leave on the desk. The attendants will take care of it.

Sorry to ask this which is somewhat off topic, but can anyone tell me which cabin categories have a mini-fridge? I travel with my own martini fixin's so I like to keep the ingredients chilled.

We plan an OV cabin, probably cat D through F.

looking at your past posts, it looks like you are planning on the Spirit?

only suites have refrigs. for any other cabin level you need to make a request, either through special services or through your cabin steward. people with kids or health issue get 1st priority.

Archived