Nicolas Inn - Rome

zelker

Hi, euro cruiser. Your review of the place is why I checked into staying there. :) Currently they are advertising 3 or more nights for 80 euros (from now through January, excluding Xmas-New Years). They quoted me 160 euros for the middle of next October which seemed high to me for a B&B. What do you think?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if it was 100 Euros or dollars ... more likely the later.

The 160 Euro per night figure does seem high, but October is one of the best months to be in Rome so demand may support the price. The Nicolas Inn is very small and very popular (when I finally stayed there, it was the second or third time I had tried to book it), so I guess it's possible that their high season rate (October) is double what their special offers are in the off season (winter).

It can't hurt to e-mail Melissa back and ask for clarification.

I did email her back, and said it seemed a bit higher than I expected, especially for 3 nights and that late into the "season". Will see what she says. For almost $250 a night, I'll likely keep looking.

What did you think of the noise level there? I've read that street noise and also thin walls are a problem.

I on the other hand, am a light sleeper.

I just heard back from Melissa - she will not budge on the rate. Will see what the other couple we're traveling with thinks but may continue our quest.

Thanks for the info.

Zelker, I just noticed that you're from Colorado. I used to run a nightclub in Denver and there have been some hearing sensitivity lost!

I definitely would not recommend another budget friendly favorite place of mine in Rome, the Santa Francesca Romana. It's a former convent, with tile floors, and from your bed you can hear every footstep taken out in the hall.

I have stayed at the Santa Chiara near the Pantheon and it was lovely and quiet, but my company was picking up the tab - it was quite a bit more than I typically pay on my own.

I've also stayed at the Hotel Ripa in Trastevere. The room was huge by European standards and included a sitting area with a couch and easy chair and it was very quiet. However, it's a bit further from the centro storico.

We stayed at Nicolas Inn for 4 nights in Nov of 2007. It was wonderful, not noisey, and Melissa was absolutely the best! However with all the glowing reviews, and with having only 4 rooms, I'm not surprised to hear that they have raised their prices. We paid $100 US per night. I guess it's supply and demand - more people are wanting to book with them so they can ask any price they want.

Archived