taxes & fees question

omc329

Ok, I just rebooked Sunday at a lower rate. I went back today to see if the rates have changed. Nope rates are the same, but the totals now show higher. Huh?

Looking more closely, they now have taxes and fees listed around $18 higher than my invoice from Sunday. Are they going to come back and charge me that $18 later, or are my taxes and fees set, or does it depend on whether it is a difference in port fees, or some other tax or fee? Not having the breakdown, I don't know why the difference. I'm thinking if port fees have gone up, they'll come back sooner or later and update my invoice, but not certain if the difference is something else.

It's only $18 bucks, not the end of the world, I'd just like to know if I get to keep it or lose it, and at what point I can expect Norwegian to notice the difference.

I've just completed the pre-boarding process for a cruise next year, and found the following pargagraph in the cruise contract (AKA "fine print"):

Fares do not include certain taxes, fees and charges imposed by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities, including port authorities, service charges or the cost of the fuel supplement, nor any security surcharges or similar incidental surcharges, for which passengers will be charged. If governmental or quasi-governmental action results in any element of such taxes and fees exceeding the estimates used by Carrier for purposes of computing the quoted amount, Carrier reserves the right to pass through the extra amount.

If that is the case, then I believe that no refund will be forthcoming.

Maybe someone with more experience can shed some light on the situation.

Well, sounds like I'll be out the $18 sooner or later. I think when I pay off the invoice this summer, I'll ask about it then. I'd rather have it paid off than owe at embarkation. I still wish they would give a breakdown of those taxes and fees though, so I could see where the $18 came from. That's quite a jump.

Well, sounds like I'll be out the $18 sooner or later. I think when I pay off the invoice this summer, I'll ask about it then. I'd rather have it paid off than owe at embarkation. I still wish they would give a breakdown of those taxes and fees though, so I could see where the $18 came from. That's quite a jump.

Don't pay it off before you have to. there is a chance that the cruise line will not charge it to you(its small chance but it is still there).

The cruise lines normally don't show you this. Its almost a trade secret. One of the interesting things is in NY for example if NCL hits a bench mark for the number of people cruising out of NY certain port fees are reduced retroactively. I doubt they will return those.

The cruise lines normally don't show you this. Its almost a trade secret. One of the interesting things is in NY for example if NCL hits a bench mark for the number of people cruising out of NY certain port fees are reduced retroactively. I doubt they will return those.

Interesting. I think I will give a heads up though, for those we are cruising with, just so they are prepared if it hits us down the line.

Archived