New to P&O-Different than other lines?

rtdiva

Hi! We are boarding the Arcadia in San Francisco. This is our first experience with a British Line. What can you tell me that is different, other than the food and the wait persons compared to Holland America, Carnival etc? Does the ship serve international cuisine? Is it true that we need to bring our own shampoo? Are robes provided?

Thanks for any suggestions that you may have. If you have any questions about San Franciso, or Hawaii, maybe I can be of help.

Ann

Hello Ann and welcome to the P&O forum.

I assume from what you say above and comment in another thread that you're doing the San Francisco to Sydney segment of a World Voyage on Arcadia? Would that be 2010 or 2011?

Comparisons: well, I haven't been on HAL or Carnival, but I have cruised a few times with Celebrity as well as with P&O. There are differences, though the fact that it's world voyage may minimise them.

On a normal P&O cruise you could expect at least 98% of the passengers to be Brits. That may be different on a World Voyage - there will be people taking individual segments, just as you are, and that will make the passenger mix a bit more cosmopolitan. I don't know by how much, however; I would expect it to be still predominantly British passengers.

As with other cruise lines most of the crew will be from Asia. Typically, P&O employs Filipino cabin stewards and Goanese (Indian) waiters, although you could of course meet crew members from just about anywhere. But Filipino and Indian crew members will probably make up the majority.

One difference that I've always noticed is that service on P&O ships is more muted than on Celebrity. You're generally unlikely to get much in the way of greetings from crew members as you pass them - the 'Have a Nice Day!' thing will mostly be missing. It's not that they're rude, it's just that the UK tradition is for unobtrusive service, and P&O will have specifically trained the crew in this way.

Toiletries: well, soaps & shampoos are provided but we always take our own anyway - my wife once had an allergic reaction to a moisturiser in a hotel and ever since then she's always taken her own stuff everywhere. I don't know how 'good' the provided toiletries are, although to be fair it's an area that I'm pretty oblivious to at home or away.

Robes - I don't know at all about them.

Cuisine will be broadly British based - roast beef rather than prime rib, for instance, although of course many of the international staples will be available - steaks, etc. There may well be some very British elements in the menu - we once had Haggis as an accompaniment to dinner. And of course you can, if you want, have lot of curries - some dinners will have a curry option, and most lunchtimes.

Just a small point, but I find if you smile and say hello to the crew they will always respond. I sometimes think the younger crew members are just a bit shy which can make people seem stand-offish. Mind you I make a game of this wherever I go, if I pass a grumpy face I smile and invariably get one back!

Carol x

We have found that when you pass members of the crew they always smile and say "Good morning" or whatever the time of day happens to be. I have found the cabin stewards particularly friendly. I agree that they are not so outgoing as American staff appear to be.

Arcadia is a stylish but not in the least glitzy ship. Her decor is muted. We had a wonderful cruise on her last year sailing out of New Orleans to the Caribbean. I hope you enjoy your trip.:)

I find P&O very similar to Princess, tho' as Tom says, a little more muted. The two lines used to be owned by P&O until Carnival gobbled them up, so can share staff- the ships are built in the same yard, and Sea Princess is identical to Oceana; Grand Princess to Ventura and Azura. They even use the same Yorkshire designers for their soft furnishings.

Again, I can't remember the names of the soaps etc, although there's a gift set of items by Elemis in the bathroom. I haven't seen a bathrobe, and think I heard they were for suites only.

They are stricter about smoking than Princess- balconies only, and otherwise outside points.

Tipping is suggested, rather than added to your account. There is no tip on drinks. Alcohol is very reasonably priced, at least a third cheaper than we paid with NCL this year.

I did not notice as much "nickel and diming" on last month's cruise as on NCL, but those two lines are very different anyway- we love NCL's Freedom, but are quite happy to join in the formality on P&O. It is a formal line, and people do dress for dinner.

Oh, and there's a good kettle and tea set in each cabin, so if you want to pack any of your favourite brews- tea bags or coffees- you can indulge! Tea and coffee are provided, but may not be to your liking.

There is a free laundry- I think on most decks; buy washing powder from the shop, although I take my own as I'm a bit sensitive to some brands.

Have a lovely time, and don't forget to return to this page and tell us how you got on!

jocap.

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, our trip is 2010.

I was surprised to learn that the wait staff are Fillipino and Indian. We thought that Goa was a small country in Africa! We are familiar with Indonesians on the Holland America , Princess and other ships. They go out of thier way to be friendly and have in some instances (after a two month cruise) continued a relationship with passengers after they disembark. Weve even managed to learn a bit of thier language.

Good to know about the toiletries. I did see another post that had a typical menu, the food sounds fine.

There a few more Californians who will board the same time we will, it should be fun to speak the same language but yet have different meanings!

Ann

Sorry forgot to add this: You mentioned tipping. Is this done with a private envelope the last day of the cruise? We havnt recieved our info packet yet, which I am sure will have what I need to know. The tip should probably be in pounds?

Good to hear about the smoking policy! On one cruise we actually had to have the cabin steward use tape around the adjoining room's door . The smell was horrible. Weve learned not to have adjoining rooms.

Thanks again,

Ann

You are spot-on about the tips Ann. I am sure they would be happy ot get tips in any currency but as they normally home-port in the UK, sterling pounds is probably best.

Re toiletries - you get a fairly good quality all-in-one hair & body gel in the shower and hand soap too. The Elemis packs have actually been replaced with very nice products from a local UK brand called 'Temple Spa'. You get a 'pamper pack' that includes small tubes of such things as face moisturiser, cooling eye-cream, peppermint foot balm and a very pleasant 'room spray'. The higher your grade of cabin the bigger the pamper-pack I think.

Hope that is useful.

im a newbe to cruising as is my wife and we are still looking at which cruise line and which boat at this stage. we thought we were happy with the look of p and o as everyone here seems friendly and if that is the sort of passengers that go on p and o boats then we liked that. but we also looked at cunard. i looked at a cruise on victoria next year and maybe a cruise to newyork october as a late honeymoon on qm11 but we are nearly put off by a few only a few of the people over on cunard board. a few seem to say something everywhere and are rude. they dont like it if you dont agree with what they say. but i kept clear of them. has anyone been on p and o and cunard and can tell us if that type are only on cunard. i dont want the holiday messed up by some knowitall. this is going to be special. are the people on the other part of this site really like all passenger on cunard. sorry so many questions. so far we like the look of arcadia and where it goes to. cheers for answers. going to book before christmas.

Archived