Westerdam, November 15, 2009 - Another Review; Another Vewpoint

sail7seas

Will post a review upon our return. It does seem that if you do a favorable review on the board these days it will pass fast with hardly any comments. If you complain about anything it will become a Blockbuster!:D As always, we are expecting another wonderful experience.

You are so correct! I've noticed this too. Almost makes me think it's not really worth the time and effort to post one, but I do think there are a lot of posters who actually do appreciate it.

It's usually the same old "rabble rousers" who jump on the negative reviews anyway. :rolleyes:

Sail,

What a nice review you’ve written. We will be on the Westerdam for the first time next January, and reading a positive review only adds to our anticipation. I was particularly happy that you also mentioned your problems in the MDR and with room service. We were on our first HAL cruise last year and I think I had over anticipated the quality of the food. It wasn’t that it was bad. It just wasn’t as wonderful as I expected. If I’d had more realistic expectations I would have saved myself some disappointment. Like you, we never send meals back on a cruise because it interrupts the flow of everybody’s diner at your table. Fortunately, the disappointment was fleeting. If all our concerns in life were as minor…

You are so correct! I've noticed this too. Almost makes me think it's not really worth the time and effort to post one, but I do think there are a lot of posters who actually do appreciate it.

It's usually the same old "rabble rousers" who jump on the negative reviews anyway. :rolleyes:

Please keep posting your reviews, many of us, well I can really only speak for myself, appreciate each oe, good and bad.

The bad ones, I weigh against a few factors such as, how many times has the person posted, have they previously asked us questions, how many good reviews for the same cruise....

So one bad and 10 good = a "DAM' fine cruise in my opinion.

Joanie

:) Yes, DanNang and Widi were our two stewards. We were so thrilled to not only see DaNang but for him to be our steward again was wonderful. He took care of us on Maasdam at least three times during the last two years on Maasdam.

Funny how our favorite bartender in Ocean Bar and our cabin steward were both recently from Maasdam. :) Our much loved Maasdam.........

=Two@Sea;Sail, I happen to be aware of the reason you have a "very special tie" to the Noordam. Perhaps one of these days you might vary from your usual polite sense of discretion? It wouldn't be aggrandizing...

:) :)

I've had positive feelings about my cruise on the Westerdam next May, and your review has served to reinforce those feelings. Thank you for that.

Although I still feel the ship is too large for my taste, I think I'm going to enjoy the ship.

Welcome home, and thanks for the report.

Ruth..... Look forward to your cruise on Westerdam. I'm quite sure you'll enjoy this lovely ship. She's quite beautiful IMO and things run smoothly. I'll look forward to hearing your opinions and experience on her.

Thank you for such a positive and descriptive review! I leave in a few days and am even more excited to go.

I was so happy to hear you say "whaddayagonna do?!" and let things slide instead of ranting. Some folks let the smallest things ruin a fabulous cruise and it was refreshing to hear your comments.

Again, thank you!

Tracy

Whaddayagonna do? :D

Of course, it's annoying but certainly not to wreck a cruise over.

Sail, A very nice review. Is the no life vest at Muster Drill just on the Westerdam or is it going fleet wide?

Got to wait just a few days before the MS Eurodam. Looking forward to that Neptune coffee machine and treats.:D

I think this is the new system, Aliaschief. Haven't read too many others comment about it but I expect to find the same procedure on our upcoming Eurodam cruise.

I love reading about the Westerdam to see if I missed anything! I forgot to mention that the eggs benedict in the Lido are perfect now. First time ever they have been cooked right. Usually, on a cruise, I've found the yolk all dried up and for some reason, that is disappointing. Since I never, ever eat them unless I'm on a cruise, I suppose that makes sense?

Anyway, great review!:)

SAIL7SEAS: Thanks for your great review. Can you tell us how far the Flying Fishbone Restaurant in Aruba is to the Cruise Pier & what was the cost of a taxi? Also, are taxis readily available to get you back to the ship?

Thanks!

Many cruises:

Flying Fishbone is about 20-25 minute ride from where the ship docks. We went by private transporation previously arranged by our friends on the ship but a taxi certainly can take you. I can't guess the fare. No idea.

It would make me a little uneasy to go quite so far by taxi for dinner but we are 'low risk takers'. I am sure the restaurant would call a taxi to return you to the ship but I am not sure how fast the taxi would arrive. The restaurant is not in the midst of high tourism area and they would need to make a special trip to get you. Had DH and I gone there on our own, I would not have been as relaxed as I was because of the friends we were with.

As much as I highly recommend the restaurant as an incredibly special evening, I would hate to be responsible for sending someone to a restaurant from which they had trouble getting back to the ship on time.

If someone had rented a car for the day and chose to go there for dinner and had their own vehicle, that would be a better scenario IMO

Enjoy Aruba and Westerdam (is that the ship you are on?). Have a great cruise.

Many cruises:

Flying Fishbone is about 20-25 minute ride from where the ship docks. We went by private transporation previously arranged by our friends on the ship but a taxi certainly can take you. I can't guess the fare. No idea.

It would make me a little uneasy to go quite so far by taxi for dinner but we are 'low risk takers'. I am sure the restaurant would call a taxi to return you to the ship but I am not sure how fast the taxi would arrive. The restaurant is not in the midst of high tourism area and they would need to make a special trip to get you. Had DH and I gone there on our own, I would not have been as relaxed as I was because of the friends we were with.

As much as I highly recommend the restaurant as an incredibly special evening, I would hate to be responsible for sending someone to a restaurant from which they had trouble getting back to the ship on time.

If someone had rented a car for the day and chose to go there for dinner and had their own vehicle, that would be a better scenario IMO

Enjoy Aruba and Westerdam (is that the ship you are on?). Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the information. We're on the Eurodam in a few weeks, but I agree that a 20-25 minute ride is a little too far for me. I guess we'll eat dinner on board the ship.:)

Oh no........ don't miss the chance for a wonderful dinner ashore in Aruba. There are many really good restaurants there and some are very close to where the ship docks.

By all means go to the Ports of Call section and inquire about Aruba restaurants. Evenings are delightful there.... go out for dinner. :)

Archived