23kgs Baggage Allowance on Fly-Cruises

capasamari

My friend has e-mailed P&O asking if it is possible to take more than the 23kg baggage allowance on a fly cruise, this is the reply she has received:

"It unfortunately is not possible to purchase an increased luggage allowance

for our charter flights.

Should you bring more than your allowance of 23kg per person, you may be

charged up to £10 per kilo for the excess baggage or may be refused the

excess baggage.

This is entirely at the discretion of check-in staff and beyond our

control.

I apologize for being unable to assist in this matter.

Kind regards,

Air Operations Department

Cunard Line, Ocean Village Holidays, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises

Tel: +44 (0) 23 8068 3612

E-mail: charter.flights@carnivalukgroup.com"

I have phoned Thomson and they would be more than happy for us to take/pay for excess baggage as there is plenty of capacity on the planes, the rules as far as they are concerned are set in stone by P&O.

Given that P&O require/wish us to comply with their dress codes which necessitate taking sufficient luggage it seems mean that they will not allow any excess baggage allowances under any circumstances.

Carol x

My friend has e-mailed P&O asking if it is possible to take more than the 23kg baggage allowance on a fly cruise, this is the reply she has received:

"It unfortunately is not possible to purchase an increased luggage allowance

for our charter flights.

Should you bring more than your allowance of 23kg per person, you may be

charged up to £10 per kilo for the excess baggage or may be refused the

excess baggage.

This is entirely at the discretion of check-in staff and beyond our

control.

I apologize for being unable to assist in this matter.

Kind regards,

Air Operations Department

Cunard Line, Ocean Village Holidays, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises

Tel: +44 (0) 23 8068 3612

E-mail: charter.flights@carnivalukgroup.com"

I have phoned Thomson and they would be more than happy for us to take/pay for excess baggage as there is plenty of capacity on the planes, the rules as far as they are concerned are set in stone by P&O.

Given that P&O require/wish us to comply with their dress codes which necessitate taking sufficient luggage it seems mean that they will not allow any excess baggage allowances under any circumstances.

Carol x

Many cruise agents in the UK will fly you from say Gatwick on a budget airline with a 15kg luggage limit.But even worse they then fly you back to a northern airport.An ample supply of luggage for a 2 week cruise is 20kgs and as P&O has said to you in their reply that luggase in excess of their permitted 23 kgs must be paid for.Sounds reasonable to me.

Well I don't read it that way, P&O imply you may not be allowed to take your excess on the plane, paid for or not. I think the allowance should be " free allowance is 23kg any more is charged at XX£ /kg by prior arrangement" Who mentioned two weeks? We are going for a month next Xmas & it will be difficult to pack, especially considering the dress requirements.

Well I don't read it that way, P&O imply you may not be allowed to take your excess on the plane, paid for or not. I think the allowance should be " free allowance is 23kg any more is charged at XX£ /kg by prior arrangement" Who mentioned two weeks? We are going for a month next Xmas & it will be difficult to pack, especially considering the dress requirements.

We are on the Azura 29 night Xmas cruise next year and wish there was at least 30k allowed. It's hard enough to fly cruise with P&O at the moment for a fortnight with 23k and 4 formal nights. I believe that It's all about fuel-the heavier the plane the more fuel used.

P&O have said in their e-mail and also on the phone that we can turn up with any excess, which must be in a separate bag, and we MAY be allowed to pay and take it or we MAY be refused and have to leave it behind. It would depend entirely on the check-in operator on the day.

The best advice they could offer was to get a friend to take you to the airport and if the extra bag is refused they could take it home with them! Obviously this is not a viable option so the reality is no excess.

We already pare our clothes to the minimum, it is the toiletries, make-up and jewellery that bump the weight up for me! Unfortunately I have a very sensitive skin and wouldn't risk not taking the products I know suit me. (My husband can happily use anything).

Weighing the case this weekend with fingers crossed!

Carol x

Got back from Ventura yesterday. P&O state 23kgs on all documentation. My case was spot on at 23kgs and i sighed relief at the checkin. The lady checking me in said why was i so relieved when i had another 2kgs left! I showed her the tickets and she said that everyone had a 25kg allowance!!

I booked our cruise with virgin cruises and flying virgin as well as the advertised we would fly with them. Just got my tickets through and we are allowed 2x23kgs EACH :D:D:D So not too bad there, got quite a choice and can pack our own snorkeling equipment as well:D:D Have checked with them and they have confirmed that is correct. Booked to fly out with BA in MArch and was told 1 x 23 kg only to the usa :(

I really don't understand the problem. I have had many cruises out of New York and Rio and at no time has my or my wifes case weighed more than 23kg. The mens are easy compared to the womens, but men will wear the same thing more than once, as they do with their formal dinner suit:D It may be the original weight of the suit case, newer modern cases tend to be more aircraft friendly than older models. Another thing, we use the onboard laundry and have shirts cleaned and pressed, underware can either be washed in the laundry or replaced at various ports of call. Check out for ant special offers the laundry boys may be giving on board ship.

Many cruise agents in the UK will fly you from say Gatwick on a budget airline with a 15kg luggage limit.But even worse they then fly you back to a northern airport.An ample supply of luggage for a 2 week cruise is 20kgs and as P&O has said to you in their reply that luggase in excess of their permitted 23 kgs must be paid for.Sounds reasonable to me.

Greetings,

Would you think it 'reasonable' if you were going for FOUR weeks including Christmas ans New Year and there were a minimum of 6 Formal nights.

Try (if you can) to put yourself in the shoes of someone who wishes to wear Formal Highlad dress. That on its own would eat more than half way into your 'set in stone' allowance of 23kgs.

It wouldn't be so bad if the cabin allowance was reasonable but as they dont even allow a suitcarrier and with a limit of 5kgs, it is almost laughable.

P & O negotiated away the 30kgs allowed for Premium Economy down to 23kgs and I for one think they have been mealy mouthed about the whole thing.

I have recently emailed P&O about this and this was their reply

The standard luggage allowance for flights booked directly with Thomas Cook

and Thomson Airways is either 15 or 20kg per person.

P&O Cruises have negotiated an increased luggage allowance of 23kg per

person, for all passengers travelling on our charter flights.

The benefits of a Premium Upgrade does not include an increased luggage

allowance, nor has this been the case in the past.

Due to the rules & regulations being different for a charter flight, it

unfortunately is not possible to pre-book excess baggage.

As we do not have access to the airlines seating system, it is not possible

to pre-book seats on our charter flights.

We are currently reviewing the processes for both pre-booking seats and

purchasing an increased luggage allowance.

Should it be possible to change the current processes, we will of course

inform you of this.

Lets hope they do bring some changes in soon - even if it is just the ability to pre - buy extra baggage.

Seems as though there is more bad news coming out. Friends are on Ventura at present and have been told that they will NOT get the same seats coming home on the aircraft, they use to do this.

They have had their flight tickets for homeward journey and find that they are at different ends of the plane, not just a row or two apart.

Seems as though they have had a letter stating that the seat allocation has now changed. Seems daft to me, I do realise that different aircraft have different seating plans but why separate couples etc.

It seems that the sooner P&O start charges for pre-allocated seats the better. Perhaps they are doing this, separating people so that people will be more inclined to pay for pre-allocated seats. Another money spinner don't you think. Ever since Carnival took them over we are seeing more and more crazy rules with P&O.

A Thomson travel agent I spoke to said even if you pay the extra you might just end up across the aisle from each other. She said she never bothers paying and just advised us to turn up and check in early for the best chance of sitting together.

Carol x

Archived