HAL Appoints Two New Directors in Marketing

Krazy Kruizers

Holland America Line Appoints Two New Directors in Marketing

Seattle, WA, December 3, 2009 – Holland America Line announced that Mary Beth Wressell has been named director, media advertising and e-marketing, and Tanya Morell has been promoted to director, direct & loyalty marketing.

“We are pleased to announce the promotions of these two accomplished associates,” said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs, for Holland America Line. “These positions will synchronize our strong online and tactical marketing efforts with the successful implementation of our new mariner loyalty program and capitalize on the varied strengths of our team members.”

Wressell will oversee the development of e-marketing and online advertising efforts in addition to Holland America Line’s award-winning consumer magazine advertising campaign and trade communication. Most recently, Wressell held the position of senior manager, media advertising, with the company. Wressell has more than 18 years of marketing experience within the cruise industry including four years in marketing communications within the company and seven years with Virtuoso as managing director, travel clubs and director, direct marketing. Previously, Wressell worked with the Holland America Line account while at the advertising agency, DDB Worldwide Communications Group.

Wressell will report to Judy Palmer, vice president, marketing communications. Wressell holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications with a specialty in advertising from the University of North Dakota.

With more than 14 years in the cruise industry, Tanya Morell will be responsible for Holland America Line’s direct marketing operation and driving loyalty marketing activities. Most recently, Morell was senior product manager for Europe and transatlantic voyages for Holland America and previously served for two years as product manager for the Caribbean and the Canada/ New England destinations. Prior to joining Holland America Line’s direct marketing department in 2004, Morell oversaw the company’s direct marketing efforts while at the advertising agency, DDB Worldwide Communications Group.

Morell will report to John Delaney, vice president, revenue marketing. Morell holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in business administration from the University of Washington.

- www.hollandamerica.com -

The new Mariner Program doesn't give much to those of us over 200 days and always book SA Deluxe suites.

So before the program, you always got 50% discounts on a lot of different purchases, complimentary wine tastings, etc? Wow... you're gonna have a lot of envious people on here once they read that you've been getting special treatment :p

The new Mariner Program isn't enough? :)

I like the programs HAL offers, but I was thinking more along the lines of other things like activities or whatever we can do to keep passengers, new and old happy.

Hope that makes sense. I am not thinking entitlements or in the the me! me! sense, but what might be better for everyone.... Sometimes I have difficulty explaining my thoughts, sorry...

Joanie

I like the programs HAL offers, but I was thinking more along the lines of other things like activities or whatever we can do to keep passengers, new and old happy.

Hope that makes sense. I am not thinking entitlements or in the the me! me! sense, but what might be better for everyone.... Sometimes I have difficulty explaining my thoughts, sorry...

Joanie

No worries in the slightest.... hence the smiley face.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of new programs fleetwide that are, or will soon be introduced...

The ones I CAN mention include:

Lido Pool Party

Digital Workshop

Culinary Arts Center

Explorations Team (and speaker)

There's a lot more... I'm just in the middle of a brunch food coma and can't really think of others to mention at the moment.

No worries in the slightest.... hence the smiley face.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of new programs fleetwide that are, or will soon be introduced...

The ones I CAN mention include:

Lido Pool Party

Digital Workshop

Culinary Arts Center

Explorations Team (and speaker)

now if you can only get the higher-ups to STOP the so called upgrades and just leave everything as-is that would be the way to go...

we don't need a Retreat.. can't they see that after the Teen center-aft disaster.. they do 'change' for the sake of change because they think in terms of $$$$$$--->without thinking of the consequences.. 'if it ain't broke leave it the heck alone'... just about everything they've changed so far has flopped.. they raised the price of the Pinnacle a while back to $30 .. and guess what-- no one went there --only the staff...so now it's back to $20

too many chiefs getting involved with ruining a great cruiseline.. a darn shame....

now if you can only get the higher-ups to STOP the so called upgrades and just leave everything as-is that would be the way to go...

we don't need a Retreat.. can't they see that after the Teen center-aft disaster.. they do 'change' for the sake of change because they think in terms of $$$$$$--->without thinking of the consequences.. 'if it ain't broke leave it the heck alone'... just about everything they've changed so far has flopped.. they raised the price of the Pinnacle a while back to $30 .. and guess what-- no one went there --only the staff...so now it's back to $20

too many chiefs getting involved with ruining a great cruiseline.. a darn shame....

The Oasis that you refer to was just blank space before so no harm, no foul there I suppose one way or the other. And it IS a great zone for any teens on a given cruise that DO wish to take advantage of it.

Regarding the price of the PG, another factor at the time, was the fact that the $30 price made it one of the most expensive alternative restaurants at sea, and this was occurring as the economy was in the middle of it's downswing. You'll notice prices for most goods in most markets haven't gone up during this period of conservation. Of course I've also seen that the new behemoth on the block has some restaurants that are up to $35/pp...

As the Retreat is a new and ongoing issue I won't comment on it. I'll leave that to the folks at work that get paid to remark on current campaigns/philosophies within the fleet.

So before the program, you always got 50% discounts on a lot of different purchases, complimentary wine tastings, etc? Wow... you're gonna have a lot of envious people on here once they read that you've been getting special treatment :p

I can certainly see Krazy Kruiser's point for those who only book the S-suites and/or PH, particularly if that someone doesn't drink. If you're already getting "free" laundry and you don't drink wine, the new benefits aren't all that much to write home about. Sure, there are some perks (50% off PG pricing, 20% is it off merch?). They are perks for sure, but definitely not great reasons to choose HAL over another line if you are in that particular boat.

We are now 3-star Mariners. Or, as we like to call it "Buy 3 Beers, Get 1 Free out of the Mini-bar." ;)

“These positions will synchronize our strong online and tactical marketing efforts with the successful implementation of our new mariner loyalty program and capitalize on the varied strengths of our team members.”
KK, thanks for posting this announcement. I certainly hope that HAL takes a good look at its marketing to existing Mariners. There seems to be much inconsistency & missed opportunities. We’re still waiting to receive the info package about the new Mariner Program, as well as several brochures we requested numerous times. We’ve followed up with the Mariner Society both by phone & e-mail. While they’ve always been helpful & responsive, nada ever happens. Here’s hoping these new promotions will make a difference.

As only a three-star mariner, I can only speak about the perks due our level. On our recent Zaandam cruise there was some confusion and a few unanswered questions. There were indeed discounts on purchases, but only certain HAL items in the shops and not well defined. Also, discounts only on certain spa treatments but no clear information as to which ones qualified. Free photo of the ship never materialized, or maybe we were supposed to go and ask for it? it was clear to me that the new program was still a work in progress.

I think HAL shoots itself in the foot by announcing new programs before they finish beta testing the program and getting all the kinks worked out. It has to be better for the bottom line if you know you will exceed expectations from the get-go, not raise expectations and then fail to deliver.

As I approach four-star status, but still sailing in the 'cheap seats' categories, I can see there will be perks available which I've never been able to access before, so for me they will indeed be welcome benefits.

Archived