Any Actual Reviews yet of the new Beverage Programs

Oceangrace

Although there will be some who are like shorebilly, I think most will fall under one of two categories:

1. They will drink so much to get their money's worth, that they will not be able to even remember enough to report back about the package, or
  2. They will be buying the package fully expecting to go against the rules, and will share with someone else.

Most will probably fall under scenario #2.

I say this in all seriousness.

I agree and I believe Celebrity does too--that's why they're priced the way they are.

i am with you shorebilly, seems to be mostly anti-drinkers commenting. i am buying a beer package for my 7 day cruise. don't plan on sharing as some suggest either but like the idea of knowing what i will spend. cheers!!

is anyone actually buying them?

We looked into it and it seems like we'd have to spend every waking moment from morning to night to make it worth while.

Hi Everyone !

Am I the only one who is very concerned about the idea of unlimited alchol packages ? I feel these types of packages might encourage some passengers to "drink their money's worth" and lead to the possibility of some unpleasant situations onboard. I realize that risk is always there, but unlimited alcohol seems to increase the odds of it happening. I believe that most passengers will drink responsibly, but the same cannot be said for everyone.

I realize it's critical to get passengers to spend as much as possible while onboard, but this is one sales tactic that could be dangerous. As it seems Celebrity is committed to moving forward with this concept, I certainly hope they will keep a very close eye on what happens onboard.

I think I'm pretty clear regarding the drinks and water packages. What I am not clear on after reading everyones comments, is with the actual wine packages where you buy X number of bottles for X days, when I try to purchase the package online, they require you select just one passenger. My question is this: Does this work the same i.e. only that passenager can drink that bottle of wine or can they share with someone?

I for one am buying for the same reason Shorebilly is - I prefer to fix as many costs as possible before the cruise, and not even have to think about how much I am spending.

And how I do wish people on this site would quit trying to set the rules or the moral standards for others. Last time I checked, I am paying for my Cruise, and I will do what I want to do, following of course Celebrity's rules and guidelines, not anyone else's!

Although there will be some who are like shorebilly, I think most will fall under one of two categories:

1. They will drink so much to get their money's worth, that they will not be able to even remember enough to report back about the package, or
  2. They will be buying the package fully expecting to go against the rules, and will share with someone else.

i am with you shorebilly, seems to be mostly anti-drinkers commenting. i am buying a beer package for my 7 day cruise. don't plan on sharing as some suggest either but like the idea of knowing what i will spend. cheers!!

I'm not an anti drinker by any means. I would probably have a beer in the afternoon, a mixed drink before dinner, a bottle of wine split between my wife and I during dinner (probably only half one night, the other half the next), and a drink or two during the shows. So, I certainly don't stay dry! But, at least I know how much I am spending and may slow it down if I'm starting to spend too much.

The main factor for me is that I drink a variety of beverages during the day. If I bought a beer package and felt compelled to drink my moneys worth, then had wine for dinner, and a mixed drink or two after dinner, I would expect after a 12 day cruise I'd need a liver transplant or at least have to join AAA. :D

I think I'm pretty clear regarding the drinks and water packages. What I am not clear on after reading everyones comments, is with the actual wine packages where you buy X number of bottles for X days, when I try to purchase the package online, they require you select just one passenger. My question is this: Does this work the same i.e. only that passenager can drink that bottle of wine or can they share with someone?

I was confused about the wine program at first as well. The wine package isn't an unlimited program, but anyone in your party can drink the wine that you pre-purchase. The website isn't very clear but basically the wine package allows you to pre-purchase 3, 5 or 7 etc, bottles of wine in a package from a predetermined wine list. You'll save either 5% on one group and 10% (only) off the onboard price in the other group. The saving aren't great; you can't make changes if you decide you don't like what you originally bought and you don't have as good a wine selection as the list on board. It's not a bad plan if you know exactly what wine you prefer,or want to prepay and know exactly what you will be paying for your cruise and wine prior to departure. Personally for the savings of either 5-10% from the list on board price, I'd go with buying a bottle at dinner depending on what I'm in the mood for. Also don't forget that Celebrity will allow you to bring on two bottles of wine on your embarkment to consume in your cabin/balcony but not in the dining rooms.

The cost of the packages, and the fact that you must choose only one: beer, or mixed drinks, or frozen drinks, and must take the package for the whole cruise will deter me from purchasing a package. There is no way I could drink up my money's worth and wouldn't even want to try.

I'd sure like to hear from someone who actually purchased a package - how did it work for you? Did you feel you got your money's worth? did you feel it was too much to drink?:confused:

I agree. I think that they should offer a combo package. Or if you buy a higher package, you can order a drink from a lower level, i.e. you buy a beer card you can get the frozen drinks without paying extra. I like to mix it up and do not stick with one or the other.

You would have to drink on average 7 beers to break even on the deal. I also do not drink enough to make it worth my paying that much. I may have 3 or 4 drinks one night and none the next.

I am on the Equinox in January and have signed up for the beer package, Why ? I drink beer. Not spirts, not wine, don't like them, so for me it makes sense, I don't have any pressure to drink more I will drink as I normally do on holiday, which is more than a normal day when at home, where I can go weeks without any alcohol. Buying this package dose not mean the end of the world is comeing or I will stage a mutany on board, like some on this thread are indicating. Live and let live I say, and lets all enjoy our cruise :)

While I agree Celebrity should offer a combo package, I still think some of the options are fair. I resent someone saying I am buying the package to either 1) get so smashed I cannot report back or (2) share with others. I bought the frozen drink package. It is $22/day. That comes out to about 3 drinks a day if it is around $7 as past experience would tell me. Even when I am off the ship, I will still be there in the evening, I can have a pre dinner drink, a drink with dinner and a drink with a show. Since I hardly ever drink, and am an occasionaly drinker, I do not drink to get smashed and actually refuse to get wasted. I always stay in control of my alchol. In the past I was always leery of ordering drinks because I hated to see the bar bill add up at the end. Now, it is paid for ahead of time, and I don't have to have any surprises. And yes I have been to all inclusive resorts and enjoyed some drinks, but did I get so wasted I didn't know what I was doing? NOOO.

Regarding the classic liquor package, I have been told by a Celebrity rep that it only covers what it states, which is classic liquor, mixed drinks only and does not include anything else. Since this question was posed early on when this was all new, that may or may not be correct and I will find out once I get onboard. I have heard from a fellow cruisemate on the Summit right now who said that the package does include Mojitos.

To the posters who keep insisting that those of us who have made negative comments about these packages are non-drinkers, think again. I could probably drink some of you under the table. I still feel these are not that great of a value when you have a lot of port days. I for one would never be able to drink 7 beers from 5pm on. Nor do I want to only drink beer everyday all day. I prefer to mix up what I drink during the day, evening and night.

Also I am not sure about the comment regarding what your bill will be at the end of the cruise with the package. If you say you only drink so many drinks anyway and do not plan to change that pattern well then you should be able to calculate pretty close how much the bill will be with or without the package.

As for option #2, I can understand why Celebrity won't want people sharing, but how can they police this? If someone gets a package and buys a beer and goes back to their room, then goes to another bar and buys another beer for their DW/DH, etc. How can Celebrity track that? Will they require a certain amount of time between purchases? It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm pretty much a wine drinker so it probably won't affect us anyways (although maybe my DH will consider the beer package but they won't have to worry about us sharing!)

I just don't understand how they intend to keep people from sharing.... it will be interesting to see people report back on it though.

I am purchasing the premium drink package and the water package for our upcoming 14 day cruise, yes it is not cheap, yes IF I choose to I could be hammered everyday, however, I personally am not buying the package to get hammered but I now know exactly what I am spending on this cruise. If I choose to drink more one day, I will most probably drink very little the next day, If I want a sip Of Grand Marnier with my coffee after dinner, I don't care what it costs, and I am not obligated to finish it either. People that do not drink seem to be responding to these beverage threads more than anyone else, why is that??? My mother is not coming on this cruise with me and none of us need others trying to be everybodies Mother. PS my Mom would gladly have a drink with me if I was buying:) These are probably the same people that tout the benefits of inside cabins as well, I know nothing of those either!:eek:[/i]

I'm with you Karen....bring me my apertif as well as my cordial! :D And what are these inside cabins you speak of??? :p

This is the X board.....Me thinks you're confusing it with the NCL board....

If anyone on X can't remember something it WAYYYYY more likely age related than booze related!

I agree and I believe Celebrity does too--that's why they're priced the way they are.

This post makes absolutely NO SENSE.....if X was concerned about this they WOULDN'T be offering it.......BUT......there may be a reason RCL isn't offering it on RCCL though....

[ I have heard from a fellow cruisemate on the Summit right now who said that the package does include Mojitos.

Do us all a favor and email your friend on the Summit, ask her to inquire of the food & beverage manager if the classic liquor package would allow you to order a beer or house wine instead of a liquor drink during the cruise.

Thanks!

I am amazed on how controversial the Beverage package is

1 - It is great Celebrity have offered the various packages, this is a first for them, why comment on them you either want one or you don't - full stop

2- Mix and match, be happy what is on offer if it is not tailor made to you no big deal you have never had the option before and you have managed

3 - Getting hammered - I am slightly intrigued to know where the high percentage of the cruisers making this comment come from in the world, no need to answer it is not compulsory, My OG only drinks beer he has booked the beer package please note he will drink no more or no less than he would if he had not had the opportunity of the package, he will not use it as an opportunity to get as you say hammered

4 - He will not be sharing his package

5 - Those who have a pre dinner drink or 2 say in the Martini bar then say a bottle of nice wine with dinner followed afterwards with a different drink or 2 in the theatre then say maybe a nightcap - we have a saying if you live in a glass house do not throw stones

I wish you all a happy 2010, those with and without packages, I am sure you will all have a wonderful holiday

Skovgaard

To the posters who keep insisting that those of us who have made negative comments about these packages are non-drinkers, think again. I could probably drink some of you under the table. I still feel these are not that great of a value when you have a lot of port days. I for one would never be able to drink 7 beers from 5pm on. Nor do I want to only drink beer everyday all day. I prefer to mix up what I drink during the day, evening and night.

Also I am not sure about the comment regarding what your bill will be at the end of the cruise with the package. If you say you only drink so many drinks anyway and do not plan to change that pattern well then you should be able to calculate pretty close how much the bill will be with or without the package.

First, I wanted to let you know that at least one person agrees with you.

There are many reasons why I am very, very negative on these packages.

In business you are supposed to be looking for WIN-WIN situations, in other words something that is both profitable for your company and good for your customers. It is very obvious that these packages are only a WIN for Celebrity.

Celebrity choose to market the beverage programs as the “Ultimate in value and convenience”. They are no value at all and barely a convenience. Using the middle ground beer package as an example, it basically takes 6 beers per day to break even and 7 to get value. Very few passengers will be able to get to 40+ beers for a seven day cruise and Celebrity knows this.

Although I too believe that Celebrity figures in a certain amount of cheating, I am also sure that they will do what they can to prevent it from getting out of hand. They will still swipe your key card when you place your beverage order. If you order too many in a short period of time, or are ordering too many overall, they will likely have a discussion with you. Remember, they have cameras throughout the ship. If the red flags go off in their Point of Sale system, they will look to find if you are handing out beers to other passengers. Sorry if this sounds paranoid, but would you bet against this scenario?

I am very perplexed by the people stating “It’s a great convenience because I will know what my bar bill is ahead of time”. Do you, do you really?

So if they buy the beer package, most passengers are going to stick to beer for the entire cruise? No wine at dinner? No Bahama mama’s Poolside? No Gin & Tonic at the disco? I believe that Celebrity fully expects the people who order the packages to order beverages outside of the package and therefore will increase profitability.

And you just spent $241.50 for the Beer Package on your seven day cruise. You now know that your bar tab for the cruise is going to be a total of $241.50. When the cruise is over, you realize that you only drank 15 beers total. So, you feel good that you paid $16 a beer?

I find the pricing and limitations of the packages to be insulting to the intelligence of the Celebrity passengers. Of course I have the option to “just not buy it” (and I won’t), but if Target began selling an Xbox360 for $600 while Walmart, Kmart, and Best Buy had the exact same product for $300, you could choose not to buy it at Target, but you would not suspect that there was something wrong with Target?

I will end by being constructive. To improve the Beverage packages and turn this into a WIN-WIN, Celebrity can either;

1- Lower the friggin prices

2- Have the packages on a daily basis instead of having to commit for the entire cruise. Operationally, this would be more difficult but not beyond the ability of your computer systems.

3- Have levels instead of types. For example; a Level 1 package would allow you unlimited soda. A level 2 package would allow you frozen drinks AND soda. A level 3 package would give you Beer, frozen drinks or soda. A level 4 package would give you wines by the glass, beer, frozen drinks or soda (I would buy this package in a heartbeat). And so on up to the Premium package which would give you your choice of all beverages.

By the way, all these options would still be profitable to the cruise line. Not as profitable as the present packages, but they’re a rip off.

FX

I am amazed on how controversial the Beverage package is

1 - It is great Celebrity have offered the various packages, this is a first for them, why comment on them you either want one or you don't - full stop

2- Mix and match, be happy what is on offer if it is not tailor made to you no big deal you have never had the option before and you have managed

3 - Getting hammered - I am slightly intrigued to know where the high percentage of the cruisers making this comment come from in the world, no need to answer it is not compulsory, My OG only drinks beer he has booked the beer package please note he will drink no more or no less than he would if he had not had the opportunity of the package, he will not use it as an opportunity to get as you say hammered

4 - He will not be sharing his package

5 - Those who have a pre dinner drink or 2 say in the Martini bar then say a bottle of nice wine with dinner followed afterwards with a different drink or 2 in the theatre then say maybe a nightcap - we have a saying if you live in a glass house do not throw stones

I wish you all a happy 2010, those with and without packages, I am sure you will all have a wonderful holiday

Skovgaard

I totally agree. I am happy that this is being offered when it hasn't been before. I just strongly dissagree that this will encourage someone to drink more or less than they would if they didn't buy the packages. I personally would not buy the beer or liquor package, because I see no cost benefit in those for me. Also the water package is way out of sight. I can bring on my own water for $4.00 a CASE of 24 and not pay over $10 a day to Celebrity. Plus the water on board is just fine and I like the bottled water for excursions. The frozen drink package to me is a good one, and that's why I bought it. But then I like frozen margaritas and such and not beer or wine, so I don't really need the variety. As to the comment about worrying about the bar tab, it is all about budgeting your expenses. I budget everything way ahead of time and if I can prepay something and not have to worry about it, then that's what I will do.

And let us also point out that whether or not it is a good value for one person and not another is strictly up to each individual. It is really no one else's business what we do or do not drink whether or not we decide to purchase the package. I do agree there should be a combination package for those who like a variety. This is brand new and Celebrity may make changes in the future depending on the feedback it gets.

My friend who is on the Summit right now was only checking on the mojitos to see if they were included in the packages and dropping us a line. He is on a port intensive itinerary and will not likely check his email again. I will send an email asking anyway just in case, but I leave Friday morning myself and board the Summit on Saturday. If I get a chance, I will post on here after I board and let everyone know about the classic liquor package and if it includes beer or frozen drinks.

[ I have heard from a fellow cruisemate on the Summit right now who said that the package does include Mojitos.

Do us all a favor and email your friend on the Summit, ask her to inquire of the food & beverage manager if the classic liquor package would allow you to order a beer or house wine instead of a liquor drink during the cruise.

Thanks!

It's pretty clear from the wording of the packages that mixing & matching is not how they're intended to work. Now practically speaking, I suppose you might find a friendly waiter willing to bend the rules for a nice tip...

This post makes absolutely NO SENSE.....if X was concerned about this they WOULDN'T be offering it.......BUT......there may be a reason RCL isn't offering it on RCCL though....

I was agreeing with point #1 only from a tongue in cheek perspective. However, you can't seriously think Celebrity doesn't expect packages to be shared to a certain extent and that this knowledge didn't play into the pricing.

My friend who is on the Summit right now was only checking on the mojitos to see if they were included in the packages and dropping us a line. He is on a port intensive itinerary and will not likely check his email again. I will send an email asking anyway just in case, but I leave Friday morning myself and board the Summit on Saturday. If I get a chance, I will post on here after I board and let everyone know about the classic liquor package and if it includes beer or frozen drinks.

Thanks, kitkat - Enjoy your cruise (we will be visiting many of the same ports on our Jan 14 day on the Connie)! It will be great to have a first hand report, either from your friend, or during or after your cruise.

The fact that at the moment these packages cannot be mixed is really

silly.

If the Liquor package is $35 per day and the Beer Pkg $30 per day, then why can't I order a cheaper product if I have the more expensive package.

As this operates at the moment it won't work for me.

I like a beer or two by the Pool and a Wine or Cocktail before dinner and then after a few beers or a G&T's in the lounges

hitting the Casino and enjoying some nice Malt .

Maybe they don't want me to buy the package as they could lose out.

3 beers,glass of wine with Dinner, 2 G&T's after dinner and then maybe a few Malts in the casino I reckon $60/70 per day.

Wow and I am in bed usually by 9PM.:D

Archived