Any Actual Reviews yet of the new Beverage Programs

Oceangrace

Thanks for the review. We are cruising this week. I have the beer package and my wife has the frozen drink package. Very glad to see that its possible to pick up a couple unopened beers to take back to the room. Sounds like there is more freedom with the package than the way it reads on the web page. I am glad I purchased it.

We are back from our 4 day Century cruise. I had the beer package, my wife had the frozen package. The first thing we found out is that if you pre-purchased the package, we had to go to customer service and get new sea pass cards for the packages. Kind of a hassle, but maybe it was to ensure we were of legal age??? They were also selling the packages on-board. When I bought them online, I paid the per night charge x 4 for each package. The 15% tip was included in the stated price. No other fees were added. I do not know if it works the same for buying the package while in port? With the package, we still had to sign for each drink. They rang up as $0, but we still had to sign off. I didn't find it difficult to get service anywhere. I had thought I would collect a few beers to take back to the room to enjoy on the balcony. The weather for this cruise was cloudy windy and rainy, so I didn't do this, but I did drink some of the beer in the mini fridge on the first day while I waited for the bar to open and was able to get unopened beer to replace them. Not sure if it would show up on my bill since I had the package, but didn't want to deal with it if they charged me. The selection of beer was very good. One of the benefits of the package was drinking new/different imports without concern of the cost. I find it difficult to pay out $6.90 for a premium beer to find out I don't like it. I'm pretty sure I went through the entire list and only found one that I did not care for. That was Boddington. It was ok, just not for me. Overall, I would get the beer package again.

My wife had the frozen package. She enjoyed the drinks and tried several. The frozen drinks she ordered were on the menu. I suppose you could order up something different, like a mudslide, and it would be covered, but she didn't try. I don't think the package benefited her and don't think she would do it again. She doesn't care for beer too much and I don't care too much for frozen and although we each tried each others drinks, we didn't get a drink for each other, but this would have easily been possible. Although the tips were pre-paid, I typically tipped cash $1-2 for each service.

Overall, I think the packages are mixed. For me, a beer drinker, it was perfect. I like margaritas on the rocks and I like wine with diner, but mostly stick to beer. Knowing I pre-paid for the beer package also kept me away from tequila and rum shots which get me stupid pretty quick. If you like to change up much, the packages probably won't be for you. I can't comment of the liquor packages.

We are back from our Summit seven day cruise. I bought the frozen drinks package at $22/day or $154 for the 7 days including tip. I gave them my card when I ordered a drink and they swiped it, but no signing required. At the end, the drinks showed up on the bill with $0 next to it. As our cruise was so port intensive, with only one sea day, I did not break even at $7.50 per drink or 3 per day. The drinks are made to order and very good, and do not come out of a machine. I generally ordered pina colada which was made with 151 rum, then had a floater of rum on top. Yummy. I would probably get it again, just for the convenience of being able to order whenever I wanted with no signing. I will tell you that when I told them I had a package and wanted a drink for me and wanted to buy one for my husband, they said you can't get two drinks on your package. I had to tell them again, that I knew that, but I wanted to purchase one. So in answer to the question of whether you can get more than one drink at a time on the package, the answer is no.

The regular alcohol packages do not offer anything else, such as wine, beer, etc. Just what is listed.

Just off the Solstice. I only considered the frozen-blended drink package given the 3-drink breakeven. Did not buy the package since I like to mix a couple beers, or frozen daytime and same or wine at dinner. A prepaid daily drink 'punch card' system would be preferable, but that would be easy to 'game' among cruisers. The couple frozen margaritas I bought al al carte were weak anyhow. Also factored in the 2 'free' Heineken drafts daily at Elite Happy Hour, so that was nice. As of Dec-13 Solstice, they did not have 5-7-9 bottle wine packages available which we have done on RCCL before. Happy Cruising.

Last night we costed out the X wine packages for our 12/27 Solstice sailing. We compared the price of an individual bottle of wine (message sent from Celebrity in advance of our sailing) against the two levels of wine package. Unless something happens when we board, we are staying with individual bottles of wine. The cost of the wine in their packages is higher per bottle.

silly rabbit, thanks for the info... did they end up billing you for the beer in the mini-fridge or not? i am cruising on jan 23rd on the summit and will have the beer package.

I replaced the beer in the mini-fridge the same night I drank it. I don't know if they would charge it or not, so I just made sure to pick up some unopened beers and took them back to the room with me. This wasn't a problem. I only did this the first day. We got on board early, around 11:30 and the bars weren't open, so I helped myself to the beer in the room.

Last night we costed out the X wine packages for our 12/27 Solstice sailing. We compared the price of an individual bottle of wine (message sent from Celebrity in advance of our sailing) against the two levels of wine package. Unless something happens when we board, we are staying with individual bottles of wine. The cost of the wine in their packages is higher per bottle.

Did you factor in the 15% gratuity which I believe is already included in the package price? I can believe some of the pkg choices are a little less expensive than others so those might be better purchased singly. At near break-even pricing, you do get some convenience from paying once for the package. Happy cruising.

So, Kitkat, Rabbit - - either of you able to give us a clue what the so-called "frozen" package consists of in terms of drink offerings? Are the available drinks all truly blended iced concoctions (pina coladas, margaritas, etc.), or does it include tropical cocktails like mai tais, rum runners and the like?

I have been reading everyone's posting and I would love a "win win" situation, but I do not find it feasible to buy any of these pacakages. We cruise approx. 2 times a year and we generally have a bill of about $500-$600 on a 7 day cruise. That includes a reasonable amount of drinks (Pool Bar, Martini Bar, Disco, etc..), a couple of bottles of wine (good for four nights) and a couple of excursions thrown in. I can not understand that a "drink package" should cost $500- $750PP - you would have to drink from morning until night. Additionally, the Millie itinerary for the 10 day we are taking in March has 2 sea days and 8 port days -- unless you are taking a picnic lunch of alcohol off the boat with you - you can not make it worth the cost of the package.

Now that we have reached "Elite" status I will try to drink as much as I can at Happy Hour to offset my bar bill!!:D

I still believe that Celebrity needs to rethink this package idea and make it more like HAL's was very consumer friendly and good for the cruise line. We came home with a couple of punches left on our card -- good for the next cruise of course.:p

Neil

actually both the frozen drink and beer packages are resonable ....it's the liquor on I find out of wack. But for many of my family they would rather pay and have the ease of it being all inclusive.

Just off Equinox. My brother was talked into purchasing the beer package on day one. About 24 hours later he realized there was no way he'd break even with it as he likes to mix in liquor quite a bit. He sweet talked someone into giving him most of his money back.

What if you only drink wine, is there a package for wine by the glass?

On Celebrity website it only shows wine by the bottle. Is wine by the glass included in the beer package or liquor package?

Lynn

I believe the only wine package is by the bottle. I've heard that others have asked and been told that you can not get wine on the beer or liquor package.

Beth

I just returned from a 7 night cruise on the Solstice. I purchased the classic liquor package before sailing. I ended up saving money, but it did take some doing. Also, several times I had to remind the server that I had the package when they brought me a bill to sign, which they then had to credit to my account.

I don't know if this had anything to do with me having the package but the bartender at the mast bar never remember my name or my drink preference, even after days of my group meeting there every afternoon. other servers remembered me even though they only served me 1 drink 2 days before.

I'm trying to figure out if I should purchase the water package. I drink a lot of water. How much is a liter bottle of Evian water on the ship? Will they allow me to bring a case of water when I board in Miami? Thanks for your help!

I don't know the cost of the water on the ship, but you can definitely bring your own water onboard. Much cheaper and more convenient!

It's much cheaper to drink the water onboard the ship -- it's free. Where do you think the water for coffee, tea, juice machines, fountain sodas, dining room table, etc. comes from?

I'm trying to figure out if I should purchase the water package. I drink a lot of water. How much is a liter bottle of Evian water on the ship? Will they allow me to bring a case of water when I board in Miami? Thanks for your help!

A liter bottle is $4 plus 15% service charge. A small bottle of Evian (single serving) is something like $1.75 or $2.

I was thinking about the water package too as we go through at least 3 or 4 bottles a day, and probably would do one or 2 more - but often we just have the room steward bring most of them and I'm not sure it would be good for that. I'll have to find out if these packages are good with ordering several bottles at once from your room steward or room service - or if I'd need to go to the bar to pick them up one by one.

I think we'll take a couple cases of water aboard. Do you just put it with your checked luggage? We have never cruised before. Will it be easy to get it from the taxi to where we check our luggage? Or should we just purchase the water package? Thank you for your help!!!

Do you know if there is pitcher on the market with a filter that would filter out the sodium cloride?

According to what I can glean from one website (http://www.mysafecleanwater.com/Solutions/Choosing-A-Solution/Understanding-Water-Filtration-Treatment-Technolog/Understanding-Water-Filtration-Treatment-Technolog.aspx) looks like reverse osmosis is probably required, a process apparently not available in a pitcher. There are, however, several filter pitchers on the market. Google "water filtration filters."

Do you know if there is pitcher on the market with a filter that would filter out the sodium cloride?

According to what I can glean from one website (http://www.mysafecleanwater.com/Solutions/Choosing-A-Solution/Understanding-Water-Filtration-Treatment-Technolog/Understanding-Water-Filtration-Treatment-Technolog.aspx) looks like reverse osmosis is probably required, a process apparently not available in a pitcher. There are, however, several filter pitchers on the market. Google "water filtration filters."

I had researched this a bit a year or so ago and came up with the same conclusion - that there were no easily portable filter "pitchers" that would filter the sodium. I was hoping I'd read otherwise here - and would love to hear that there is.

Archived