Weather in Hawaii in March

whatcruiseisnext

We have never been to Hawaii in March before although have been there at other times of the year. Could someone tell me what we might expect in terms of weather in early to Mid March? We have never been when the whales are there or when the waves( to see the surfers) are at their highest and thought maybe we might get a glimpse of this in March. Can't go in Dec or Jan or most of Feb so only want advice of late, late Feb or March. thanks so much!

Weather can vary in Hawaii. The temperatures will be quite nice. The question is rain. We were there a few years ago in March and had beautiful weather. At each port they told us how it had rained the other day. This could happen almost any month of the year. I would easily recommend a March cruise of Hawaii. Temperatures should be in the high 70s and well into the 80s.

Keith

We sailed to hawaii 3 years ago in March.

Leaving from LA it was cold (it had even snowed in the mountains that day).

But it got better each day.

In Hilo was had a nice dry day - it had rained some days before that.

In Kauai we couldnot visit Waimea Canyon, roads were still closed due to mudslides. It was rainy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon.

In the other parts it was warm, nice and sunny.

We spotted some whales in Maui and Kauai from the ship.

The ocean was very calm during the whole trip.

Our weather does not vary too much... it is rarely over 85 degrees in East Hawaii, 90 degrees is the hottest it ever gets and that is very rare. It rains most nights and is sunny by 9 am with a few scattered showers during the day. The only possible exception is when a storm comes through and those are generally in the winter months of December & January. Hilo is the rainiest city in America (a city being over 50,000 people), but most of that rain falls at night and in the early morning hours. There are still plenty of great things to do, even when there is a little rain. Bring along a small umbrella or poncho just in case.

We sailed to hawaii 3 years ago in March.

Leaving from LA it was cold (it had even snowed in the mountains that day).

But it got better each day.

In Hilo was had a nice dry day - it had rained some days before that.

In Kauai we couldnot visit Waimea Canyon, roads were still closed due to mudslides. It was rainy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon.

In the other parts it was warm, nice and sunny.

We spotted some whales in Maui and Kauai from the ship.

The ocean was very calm during the whole trip.

My hubby and I are on a similar (if not the same) itinerary this coming March, sailing out of LA. How cool does it get on the ship b/w LA and Hawaii? Do we need a light sweater and long pants? Thx.

My hubby and I are on a similar (if not the same) itinerary this coming March, sailing out of LA. How cool does it get on the ship b/w LA and Hawaii? Do we need a light sweater and long pants? Thx.

We needed it, but it was an exceptional cold day in California with even snow in the mountains around LA.

A nice site for checking weatherreports of the past is http://www.wunderground.com

Typically the first day to day and one half after you leave Los Angeles it will be quite cool on deck so pants and a light sweater or light jacket would be good if you plan to go outside. You may get lucky and not need it but the odds say you will.

Keith

We have never been to Hawaii in March before although have been there at other times of the year. Could someone tell me what we might expect in terms of weather in early to Mid March? We have never been when the whales are there or when the waves( to see the surfers) are at their highest and thought maybe we might get a glimpse of this in March. Can't go in Dec or Jan or most of Feb so only want advice of late, late Feb or March. thanks so much!

You are actually going in my favorite time of year for Hawaii. The rainy season is usually over (January is often very rainy...first couple weeks of Feb is hit and miss). End of Feb-Mar-early April is when we travel to Maui and Oahu any more. Some rain - but not regular, steady rain.

I hope you love whale season as much as we do. They are fabulous creatures!

Aloha, Beach4me! We love late March through the end of May, as well as very late September through mid-November. We've certainly enjoyed visits in all the other months too (exept July and August). The whales really are special, we think. Did I tell you about the time we splurged on a helicopter tour of Maui during whale season? The pilot took us overhead (as low as allowed) of pods, including one that was doing the "bubble feeding" ring. It was awesome (I mean that in its true sense) to see them circle and "blow bubbles" to herd and trap their meal.

Ah the memories. We're planning a 2 to 3 week visit for next April and then hope to be able to budget for a 6 week trip the next year. Of course, that all depends on the budget. The house has taken every spare penny (and then some) the past 2 years. Sigh.

But on a good note, I experimented and learned how to make spring rolls that are almost, but not quite, as good as Lahaina Fish Company. I even discovered a great chili sauce that goes quite well with them.

Well, hang loose.

whatcruiseisnext:

You have picked a great time to visit. Now, we can't guarantee (there are never guarantees) that you won't hit a week where there's quite a bit of rain or wind. But in general, we've had really good weather in March. Some rain (mostly showers and not all day), not too much wind, and the water is warming up again. With this winter's weather pattern, you will likely still see some great waves on Oahu's North Shore. March can be pretty iffy with them, but the ocean patterns have really kicked up some whoppers so far (as I'm sure you've read). There will be whales for sure. I believe they still congregate around Maui-Lanai-Molokai because of the channel, but I know there are plenty that hang around the BI and elsewhere.

Have a great time.

beachchick

No, whales are only in Hawaii in the winter and spring. You might, only might, see the early whales in November, but not September or October. Peak whale season is January through March; December and April are usually pretty good for whales too.

We like fall because the water is warmest, the "heat" of summer is usually over, and the weather is usually still drier (all relative, of course).

beachchick

Aloha, Beach4me!...Did I tell you about the time we splurged on a helicopter tour of Maui during whale season? The pilot took us overhead (as low as allowed) of pods, including one that was doing the "bubble feeding" ring. It was awesome (I mean that in its true sense) to see them circle and "blow bubbles" to herd and trap their meal.

Ah the memories. We're planning a 2 to 3 week visit for next April and then hope to be able to budget for a 6 week trip the next year. Of course, that all depends on the budget. The house has taken every spare penny (and then some) the past 2 years. Sigh.

But on a good note, I experimented and learned how to make spring rolls that are almost, but not quite, as good as Lahaina Fish Company. I even discovered a great chili sauce that goes quite well with them.

beachchick

Mele Kalikimaka, beachchick!

First...when are you hoping/planning on visiting in 2011? I'm trying to figure out if I will be able to get some time off for an extended trip in 2011. (Won't be 6 weeks though! :() I'm so glad to hear that you will be visiting soon. Have a gecko cooler for me.

No - I hadn't heard of your heli trip. How cool!

Now...would you mind sharing that spring roll recipe? You can get it to me at sccharmi on aol email if you prefer to send it that way. And, what chili sauce are you using? (I have NO business even thinking about food with all I've eaten today...but YUM!)

Hope you had a wonderful holiday season. Here's hoping we bump into each other in 2011! I think I owe you a drink or two - and an order of spring rolls!!

Archived